why are sports figures idolized?

blu

Sep 21, 2009
I never quite understood the phenomena of people idolizing sports figures as if they are better people simply because they can catch or throw a ball well. Is there some logical gap that I am missing? The only thing I can think of is a high rate of vicarious living through sports stars coming from losers who never made it past high school ball and have nothing else to look forward to in life.

You of all people should know. Why is a president idolized before he even takes office ?

Hell i'd rather watch Ed Reed return an int. for a TD than listen to Obama lie about the hot legislation of the week........

You of all people should know. Why is a president idolized before he even takes office ?

Hell i'd rather watch Ed Reed return an int. for a TD than listen to Obama lie about the hot legislation of the week........

Why should I of all people know? I didn't and never would vote for Obama. You still didn't answer the question why sports figures are idolized unless of course its so people don't have to hear the president talk??

I never quite understood the phenomena of people idolizing sports figures as if they are better people simply because they can catch or throw a ball well. Is there some logical gap that I am missing? The only thing I can think of is a high rate of vicarious living through sports stars coming from losers who never made it past high school ball and have nothing else to look forward to in life.

unlike the way you idolize obama who is just some jerkoff that got elected to office? ill wager youre a fucking geek in school and are still one in real life, go take a damn shower and clean that greasy hair.

Couldn't agree more.

Sports nuts fans are losers as far as I'm concerned

I think it's pretty sad that anyone would feel a need or desire to rank anyone above their parents when idolizing anyone. Afterall, no one makes more of a direct impact on your life than your parents have. If you're picking someone besides them, they must have done a shitty job.

Last edited:

Personally, I think it goes back to our caveman days and our animal instincts. We admire people that show a certain degree of physical and athletic ability. Note that there are more male sports fans than female.

We all can dream of being the professional jock, with a woman on each arm, and so we see ourselves through professional athletes. To some degree, the sports fan is a different commodity than the fanatic celebrity fan. Maybe it is a testosterone thing?

unlike the way you idolize obama who is just some jerkoff that got elected to office? ill wager youre a fucking geek in school and are still one in real life, go take a damn shower and clean that greasy hair.

when did I ever idolize Obama? and are you ever going to learn to debate/respond properly or just keeping breaking records for logical fallacies?

Walter Payton could have easily been given preferential treatment while on a waiting list for a donor liver, but he refused. Yeah, I idolize the guy.

yea but that is his actions off the field not what he did while on it.

Payton and Barry Sanders were both class IMHO. Can't remember either one of them dancing or taunting the other team.

I admire guys who get to the top of their profession, make a lot of money and fcuk beautiful women.

What else would any man want? Other than world domination?

when did I ever idolize Obama? and are you ever going to learn to debate/respond properly or just keeping breaking records for logical fallacies?

i guess it all depends on what seems like more fun at the time, so we'll see

I always thought Mike Tyson was a class act.

He could have eaten Holyfield's ear but he graciously left it in the ring to be re attached.

Forum List

Back