Why are PMs private?

Status
Not open for further replies.
gop_jeff said:
As a sarcastic way of responding to an accusation that he and GotZoom are the same person (which they are not).
Actually, the rumor I heard was that you are GotZoom.... Darin is Gabby. :rotflmao:

GotZoom said:
PM = Private Message

Not Public Message

Not Instant Message
Hmmm.... read this from vBulletin's forum about how to use vBulletin...

View Private message??
I own fantasybetszone forum it is vbulletin.. there is some concerns about the other members sending to other people some nasty private messages.. is there a way i could check and see what he wrote to the person? I have been getting some complaints

let me know asap

i appreciate it

you can use your phpmyadmin and peek at them in the database.

gop_jeff said:
Jim is the only one who could do that.
I don't know who would be able to do that... I belong to another board that I am a mod on and I know that on that board mods that have admin control/capabilities can read user PM's using notepad, etc. The brand of the board is different, so I wasn't sure what vBulletin allows - until now...

Also, I forgot to post a link just in case anybody thinks I am making this up...

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139177&highlight=reading+private+messages

I've tried to use every permission I even THOUGHT i have as a MegaMod - I have yet been granted access to the database. I knew, however, that Admins on various forms of Boards can and do read users PMs. To me, it's the ultimate violation of trust, and is tantamount to reading other people's mail.

-=d=- said:
I've tried to use every permission I even THOUGHT i have as a MegaMod - I have yet been granted access to the database. I knew, however, that Admins on various forms of Boards can and do read users PMs. To me, it's the ultimate violation of trust, and is tantamount to reading other people's mail.
I agree. Somebody asked, so I just wanted to set the record straight. Yes, PMs can be read... but only by a select few... it all depends on who has administrator capabilities. If it is only Jimmy that has that, then he could... would he? I doubt it.

freeandfun1 said:
Hmmm.... read this from vBulletin's forum about how to use vBulletin...

Man, you guys just don't give up, do you? The SQL database is completely separate from the rest of the board. It requires a separate username and password for access. It's globally set that when something on this board access's the database (which is just about everything) the board knows the username/password.

PHPMyadmin is a utility that allows you to backup/export/import/alter tables that makeup a SQL database. I suppose it's possible if you are fluent enough in these languages to export the table that holds the PM's and read them. I have neither the know how, nor the care to read users PM's. If I really wanted to, there are utilities that can be used within vBulletin to do so. These are not installed or used, and never will be.

Should someone not believe me, and feel there PM system is somehow monitored or violated - then feel free not to use the system. I'm getting a bit sick and tired of all the damn rumors, yet barely anyone has the common courtesy to just shoot me a PM or email to ask me.

-=d=- said:

It would depend on how it was used. Somebody needs to be able to police the board. If somebody threatened you or something in PM, then they did something to you in RL you would really want somebody to have access to that. It could have been avoided had you reported them to the Admin who would then access their PM and then report them to the proper authorities.

Just like in RL if somebody threatens you in a letter you can turn it over to the authorities and they can then get a warrent and get into the mail of the other party to see if they had threatened others, etc.

If you just hang out there reading other's PMs then yes it would be a violation of Privacy that would be truly awful. It depends on how much we trust Jim. I can see no reason to believe he has violated that trust.

freeandfun1 said:
I agree. Somebody asked, so I just wanted to set the record straight. Yes, PMs can be read... but only by a select few... it all depends on who has administrator capabilities. If it is only Jimmy that has that, then he could... would he? I doubt it.

FWIW - a vBulletin install that hasn't been altered DOES NOT have the ability to read PM's - administrator or not.

no1tovote4 said:
It would depend on how it was used. Somebody needs to be able to police the board. If somebody threatened you or something in PM, then they did something to you in RL you would really want somebody to have access to that. It could have been avoided had you reported them to the Admin who would then access their PM and then report them to the proper authorities.

Just like in RL if somebody threatens you in a letter you can turn it over to the authorities and they can then get a warrent and get into the mail of the other party to see if they had threatened others, etc.

If you just hang out there reading other's PMs then yes it would be a violation of Privacy that would be truly awful. It depends on how much we trust Jim. I can see no reason to believe he has violated that trust.

Agreed.

-=d=- said:

I will have to agree on that one. Very unfair to those sending pm's!!!

jimnyc said:
FWIW - a vBulletin install that hasn't been altered DOES NOT have the ability to read PM's - administrator or not.
Hey, somebody asked a question and I tried to help them find an answer. I don't see anything wrong with that. I posted a link to vBulletin's own message board so they can check it out for themselves. I was NOT accusing anybody of anything. Somebody asked is it possible... from what I see, well, YES IT IS.

I think every member has a right to know at least that much info.

where can i find phpmyadmin using my vbulletin forum admin control panel??
VisorMan

May 18th 2005, 12:42am
Customer Support Manager

PhpMyAdmin is a MySQL database management tool. Most web hosts provide this as part of the web site management tools such as CPanel, Plesk or Ensim. Look for a link to SQL or MySQL Databases. If you can't find it I suggest you ask your host about this.

If for some reason they do not provide phpMyAdmin or an equivalent MySQL manager, then you can download and install phpMyAdmin yourself from this location: http://www.phpmyadmin.net/

krisy said:
I will have to agree on that one. Very unfair to those sending pm's!!!
Krisy, to be fair to Jimmy, et. al., I don't think there is a single message board that can ensure your PMs are 100% private. Public forums like this offer very little security. Hell, even your yahoo mail can be read by people with the right admin capability in yahoo. Even your company email can be read by somebody... the point being, email is NOT secure no matter what any of us may have been led to believe.

freeandfun1 said:
Hey, somebody asked a question and I tried to help them find an answer. I don't see anything wrong with that. I posted a link to vBulletin's own message board so they can check it out for themselves. I was NOT accusing anybody of anything. Somebody asked is it possible... from what I see, well, YES IT IS.

I think every member has a right to know at least that much info.

Everything that passes from a users keyboard to the internet is capable of being read, if someone wants to read it badly enough. To think anything less would be naive. Nonetheless, there have been rumors around here before that members PM's are read and it appears like it was resurfacing.

They aren't read here.
Nothing is installed on USMB to make this possible.

It's all idle talk usually by disgruntled posters. No proof of such action exists because it doesn't happen here.

jimnyc said:
Everything that passes from a users keyboard to the internet is capable of being read, if someone wants to read it badly enough. To think anything less would be naive. Nonetheless, there have been rumors around here before that members PM's are read and it appears like it was resurfacing.

They aren't read here.
Nothing is installed on USMB to make this possible.

It's all idle talk usually by disgruntled posters. No proof of such action exists because it doesn't happen here.

I never meant to accuse anyone.....just making a comment that it would be horrible for someone to do that. I had never even heard before last night that it was possible for you to read them. Lots of rumors flying,it's hard to sort them all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back