Why are old threads so slow?

I get a whole lot of these. Even on websites I've visited even 10 minutes ago:

Blocked.png

Some sort of software that "learns" what a site is and then blocks it accordingly. If I wait 30 minutes usually I can access the site I was trying to get to again.

Some sites though, permanently blocked. Ugh.

I got 18ms

7.95 download, 7.49 upload.

I dunno if that's good or not. At a certain point speed becomes pointless. Fast enough for me means I don't have to wait. And I don't, so I'm good.

Outside of the download speed, you've got a damn fast connection. Looking at the other scores, are you sure you're download speed is correct? 8 Mbps download is almost dial up connection speed.

I'm at work, so I think it has to go through some security checks/firewalls/chinese passport scrutiny before downloading?

I know there's a shit-ton of stuff on the web I can't access here as the software does its scans.

There's really no lag at all on my end though, not even close to dial-up. Everything is instantaneous.

There has to be something bizarre in your company's system slowing down your download speed. Looking at the ping and upload speeds, your download should be around 48 Mbps.

But you're probably right that it has something to do with the company security programs.

Outside of the download speed, you've got a damn fast connection. Looking at the other scores, are you sure you're download speed is correct? 8 Mbps download is almost dial up connection speed.

I'm at work, so I think it has to go through some security checks/firewalls/chinese passport scrutiny before downloading?

I know there's a shit-ton of stuff on the web I can't access here as the software does its scans.

There's really no lag at all on my end though, not even close to dial-up. Everything is instantaneous.

There has to be something bizarre in your company's system slowing down your download speed. Looking at the ping and upload speeds, your download should be around 48 Mbps.

But you're probably right that it has something to do with the company security programs.

Thats my guess. They're really really really paranoid about security here. I've never figured out why :dunno: It's not like we're housing nuclear warheads or anything. If someone wants the latest Britney Spears song I say let 'em have it.

I have to go through 4 different mag-card readers to even get into the room where I do my work. :rolleyes:

And there are weekly memos put out about we're not allowed to have visitors after hours.

Last edited:

Thats my guess. They're really really really paranoid about security here. I've never figured out why :dunno: It's not like we're housing nuclear warheads or anything. If someone wants the latest Britney Spears song I say let 'em have it.

I have to go through 4 different mag-card readers to even get into the room where I do my work. :rolleyes:

And there are weekly memos put out about we're not allowed to have visitors after hours.

I drove my last company's IT department crazy. They kept putting in programs to keep everyone from accessing the internet except for company business. And I kept finding work-arounds.

It all came to a head when my senior VP came to town, and couldn't access FlightAware to see if his return flight to Cleveland was on time. Before he could call IT, I used my magic tricks to pull it up. Then I showed him how I could visit here, despite their putting in programs to reject forum boards.

How can someone be the head of an IT department, and not know about Lunascape & Safari?:confused:

I drove my last company's IT department crazy. They kept putting in programs to keep everyone from accessing the internet except for company business. And I kept finding work-arounds.

It all came to a head when my senior VP came to town, and couldn't access FlightAware to see if his return flight to Cleveland was on time. Before he could call IT, I used my magic tricks to pull it up. Then I showed him how I could visit here, despite their putting in programs to reject forum boards.

How can someone be the head of an IT department, and not know about Lunascape & Safari?:confused:

Safari would let me access things you think?

You might want to give it a try. The IT guy at at the head office didn't even know it existed. So they never bothered to include it when they put in the blocker programs.

It's a nice light web browser that doesn't hog system resources. Ringle05 turned me on to it in one of the threads in the computer sub-forum.

You might want to give it a try. The IT guy at at the head office didn't even know it existed. So they never bothered to include it when they put in the blocker programs.

It's a nice light web browser that doesn't hog system resources. Ringle05 turned me on to it in one of the threads in the computer sub-forum.

Just tried. No executable downloads allowed.

Bush administration the F.C.C. deregulated high-speed Internet providers, arguing that cable Internet access was different from the kind of high-speed Internet access provided by phone companies. Cable Internet access providers, the commission said, really offered an integrated bundle of services — not just Internet connection but also e-mail, Web hosting, news groups and other services. So the F.C.C. declared that high-speed Internet access would no longer be considered a “telecommunications service” but rather an “information service.” This removed all high-speed Internet access services — phone as well as cable — from regulation under the common-carrier section of the Communications Act.

This was a radical move, because it reversed the long-held assumption that a nondiscriminatory communications network was essential to economic growth, civic welfare and innovation. At the same time, the F.C.C. said that it would retain the power to regulate Internet access providers if the need arose, under another section of the Communications Act.

The Bush F.C.C. hoped that deregulation would prompt greater competition in Internet access services. But a wave of mergers instead reduced it. Prices stayed high and speeds slow. And eventually the carriers started saying that they wanted to be gatekeepers — creating fast lanes for some Web sites and applications and slow lanes for others.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/11/opinion/11crawford.html

Last edited:
Bush administration the F.C.C. deregulated high-speed Internet providers, arguing that cable Internet access was different from the kind of high-speed Internet access provided by phone companies. Cable Internet access providers, the commission said, really offered an integrated bundle of services — not just Internet connection but also e-mail, Web hosting, news groups and other services. So the F.C.C. declared that high-speed Internet access would no longer be considered a “telecommunications service” but rather an “information service.” This removed all high-speed Internet access services — phone as well as cable — from regulation under the common-carrier section of the Communications Act.

This was a radical move, because it reversed the long-held assumption that a nondiscriminatory communications network was essential to economic growth, civic welfare and innovation. At the same time, the F.C.C. said that it would retain the power to regulate Internet access providers if the need arose, under another section of the Communications Act.

The Bush F.C.C. hoped that deregulation would prompt greater competition in Internet access services. But a wave of mergers instead reduced it. Prices stayed high and speeds slow. And eventually the carriers started saying that they wanted to be gatekeepers — creating fast lanes for some Web sites and applications and slow lanes for others.

Who here knew this was coming from TDM? Blaming BOOOOOOOSSSHHHH for her slow internet connection?

Show of hands?

th1sm112Iknowdesk.gif

Next best try would be Opera. That's another one that might slip "under the radar".

Op-Ed Contributor - An Internet for Everybody - NYTimes.com

:eusa_eh: Don't tell me all these complaints were a lead up to a Bush bash.

Next best try would be Opera. That's another one that might slip "under the radar".

Or CometBird, Arora, LunaScape...... etc.

No go.

I'm telling you, this place is like a digital Fort Knox. Although I can't say that I blame them on that front. Someone could slip in and take us down, erasing everything. Would take forever to rebuild.

Forum List

Back