Why are morality and religion linked?

I can't honestly say I disagree with you on anything you said in that post. You made some very good points. As for the Bible being skewed, I'm fully aware of translation difficulties. That's why I have a Bible with a lot of translation footnotes (e.g. Greek word is plural (you), Hebrew word means *insert definition*, etc.). The biggest one I see is in the lists of people who have their place in the lake of fire. The words translated into "sorceror," "witch," "wizard," etc. had far different meaning than they were interpereted into. Good post. I'll have to remember it.

Originally posted by Hobbit
I can't honestly say I disagree with you on anything you said in that post. You made some very good points. As for the Bible being skewed, I'm fully aware of translation difficulties. That's why I have a Bible with a lot of translation footnotes (e.g. Greek word is plural (you), Hebrew word means *insert definition*, etc.). The biggest one I see is in the lists of people who have their place in the lake of fire. The words translated into "sorceror," "witch," "wizard," etc. had far different meaning than they were interpereted into. Good post. I'll have to remember it.

Actually if you think there are translation difficulties, maybe you have not seen original Greek or Hebrew and compared versions.

I have, but you didn't want to get into that.

All things considered, it sounds like you would like to defend being confused so you won't have to commit.

There is no translation difficulty. That is a sham put up by Wescott and Hort among a few others who have decided how to word things by comittee instead of direct translation and throwing out original manuscript in place of known flawed text.

-But we wouldn't want to get into that, would we.

religious beliefs..... Basically in the West morality as we practice it is based on the decalogue and it's further elucidation by Jesus in the Gospels..... Morality based not upon religion is merely an opinion... Without a religious underpinning if I kill someone and another objects to my actions my response can be simply "My morality considers it allright to kill those I wish to and your attempt to impose your morality on me is simply your opinion or viewpoint". See how this works folks? Without a foundation of religion which states that the morals originate in the word of God I am free to take your moral doctrines and leave them as they are no more than your sense of right and wrong versus my own...
The same goes for all laws.. Without the ultimate authority of the Almighty behind the law it becomes just an arbitrary human constaint.

KL,

First, you can just call me Jeff. :)

Second, I didn't want you to think I was about to jump down your throat. But I do feel that the Bible has been accurately translated. As Biblical scholars study the earliest known transcripts (from the 3rd-4th century A.D.) we see that the English Bible has been accurate in every major theological issue since the 1611 Authorized (King James) version. In fact, nowadays, there are several major translations, and they differ not in theology, but in language and readability.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
what about buddhists? or hindu's? agnostics or wiccans? do they have heaven, hell, and/or a third place?

Regardless of their political/religious affiliations, if they don't acknowledge and accept Christ, they will go to Hell. God's words, NOT mine.

Sucks that millions (billions?) of ppl are following a lie...of course, there are probably millions of ppl who actually think John Kerry would be a GOOD president, so it doesn't surprise me.

Darin, God knows I love ya more than my luggage, but this is a discussion NOT on kerry, bush or any of that.

Lets not go there, here.

:)

Originally posted by dmp
Regardless of their political/religious affiliations, if they don't acknowledge and accept Christ, they will go to Hell. God's words, NOT mine./B]

so YOUR'S is the one and only god, right? the buddhists and the hindus and the wiccans must have dreamed up theirs, right? because a book tells you that?

I have to ask, how do you KNOW god exists? How do you KNOW that jesus is the son of god? What factual scientific evidence do you have that proves, beyond a reasonable doubt, that god created the heavens and the earth?

Jeff,

What I mean by skewed is not the Bible Itself, but.....well, lets see.....

Ok, for example (just an example - not a fact per se):

I read The Book of John, chapters 3-6 (again, just an example). I then write a thesis on what Ive read.

You read the same chapters. You then write a thesis on what youve read.

Are our writings the same? Probably not.
Interpretation.

Thats all I was trying to say.

And I didnt think you were jumping down my throat lol - but thanks for telling me all the same :)

Duane,

I do have factual proof that Jesus is the Son of God. I know that your post was not directed at me, but it is hurtful to me all the same....for a variety of reasons.

I will not support any person's attack upon any other person's belief system. I wont do it.

Nor will I even grace such an attack with a response more than this one.

If any of you want to know Truth, I suggest you look within your own heart and find it. If you cant find it there, then well, I guess it IS possible to lose God in one's life.

so YOUR'S is the one and only god, right? the buddhists and the hindus and the wiccans must have dreamed up theirs, right? because a book tells you that?

That's pretty much the crux of the issue right there. Without accepting a relativistic universe, there can be only one right answer. I mean, the bible actually says something along the lines of 'you shall have no other gods before me' indicating all other religions are distractions and dead ends as far as the path to heaven is concerned. whether this is true or false is a matter of personal investigation/decision.

ps. kl, I really liked your earlier post. very well written.

whether this is true or false is a matter of personal investigation/decision.

this is what I was trying to put across in my previous post. Its not up to others to show you what to believe in, its up to YOU to find what you believe in. Its also not up to others to tell you that if you dont' follow specific teachings you're going to hell. If you can stand up and say that your way is the only way, be prepared to prove why its that way.

this is what I was trying to put across in my previous post. Its not up to others to show you what to believe in, its up to YOU to find what you believe in. Its also not up to others to tell you that if you dont' follow specific teachings you're going to hell. If you can stand up and say that your way is the only way, be prepared to prove why its that way.

Even if there IS only one way, it is still a person's choice.

true enough. I suppose I've just accepted the fact that people of various religions will always be telling me that theirs is the one true path. To me it has become very similar to the sound of wind blowing through tree leaves only not as pleasant :)

If you can stand up and say that your way is the only way, be prepared to prove why its that way.

BE PREPARED TO PROVE??!?? Let me say this, oh mighty moderator man, I dont have to prove anything.
Again, this isnt one of your silly little political debates to where 4 people are going to throw links into a gray box to 'prove thier point'. Why does every issue have to be a struggle with you?

NOTE: I am speaking to DK as a fellow poster, not a wife.
We're able to make the distinction.

true enough. I suppose I've just accepted the fact that people of various religions will always be telling me that theirs is the one true path. To me it has become very similar to the sound of wind blowing through tree leaves only not as pleasant

Aquarian,

I SO understand! Being Metaphysically minded as I am, I get alot of that. And the best way to deal with it IS as wind through trees sometimes :)

:cof:

I have to ask, how do you KNOW god exists? How do you KNOW that jesus is the son of god? What factual scientific evidence do you have that proves, beyond a reasonable doubt, that god created the heavens and the earth?

Yeah...My God...and the God of the Bible is the ONLY true God. That fact you have articulated correctly. The Buhdists and Hindus worship FALSE "gods".

If you'd like to see the science behind 'creationism' you'll have to do some Googling - If you are honest with your searching, you'll see that devine design is MUCH more 'scientifically' plausable.

But in the end, I doubt God wants to be 'Proven' to people. THere is NO FAITH required to believe something which has been PROVEN. God operates on Faith first. I know Jesus is the Son of God because He said so. I know Christ is real, and is the Son of God because of how He's changed my life, and the lives of countless millions of people.

To allow that Christ is NOT the 'only' way to God, is to label Christ a Liar...I'd never believe in somebody or something I knew was a lie. God Can't Lie.

Originally posted by KLSuddeth
Darin, God knows I love ya more than my luggage, but this is a discussion NOT on kerry, bush or any of that.

Lets not go there, here.

It is a valid point. It's showing how people can believe in something which makes no sense. (shrug).

:D

Originally posted by KLSuddeth
BE PREPARED TO PROVE??!?? Let me say this, oh mighty moderator man, I dont have to prove anything.
Again, this isnt one of your silly little political debates to where 4 people are going to throw links into a gray box to 'prove thier point'. Why does every issue have to be a struggle with you?

Dang. There goes MY gray box.

Darin,

I dont agree. But I can see why you posted as you did. And while I dont agre completely, I still would defend your right to believe as such.

However, I have a feeling that were I to state my complete beleifs here, you wouldnt defend my right to believe as I do.

Oh well.

I still like ya.

I knew that this thread would go awry eventually. Oh well.

Im removing myself from it before I get banned or something lol

seriously, it's lost its appeal for me.

However, there are a couple of people that I will be PMing later on....you've sparked my interest in your belief system and Id like to hear more :)

Blessings to all,
Lanyce

Forum List

Back