Why are conservatives so deathly afraid of stem-cell research?

Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie
You call striving to save lives a "selfish need?"
Yes, in the context of my question, it's the very definition of selfish- concerned with one's advantage without regard for its impact on others. Clearly using aborted fetal tissue and/or growing biological beings for the express purpose of experimentation is a tricky issue.

We all act selfishly in our lives and no one has walked earth that hasn't thought of their own survival. And I'm not saying that selfish concerns alone make something not worthwhile, but it is a decision which should be made consciously. Regardless of one's position on this issue, I doubt many people with an opinion wish people harm.

However, we immunize for polio, small pox, measels, etc. Yet today we are faced with cancers beyond all imagination, autism in record numbers, retardation, birth defects, extensively handicapped individuals, west nile virus, mad cow disease, aids, etc. Are we better off overall or, is there a rebound effect going on? I happen to believe that nothing happens in a vaccuum and that evertyhing that we do to destroy life or disease affects other aspects of biology.

Getting past the negative connotation of the word and the obvious emotions surrounding disease, my question was if those advocating for stem cell research even think about the possibility that they are gambling the greater good for the few. No one can possibly know what the ramifications are of this type of research will be and, therefore, are gambling that the majority of us won't suffer. There's a difference between doing that knowingly and being willing to risk it versus just pretending the risk or result doesn't exist. If they know the risk and yet are willing to take it, I'd like to know why.

That's true, but the use of "adult stem-cells" limits the use of the stem cell to only rebuilding that kind of tissue. "Embryonic stem-cells" are used because they have the potential to develop into any one of the over 200 different kinds of cells in the body.

They've managed to isolate adult mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow that can differentiate into cartilage, bone, tendon, muscle, and fat cells.

Perhaps, given enough research they could find ways to make these cells differentiate into a wider variety of other types of cells. Who knows what we may discover. Considering every cell in your body has the same DNA we may, with research, discover what makes a stem cell a stem cell, and therby turn any body cell into a stem cell to regenerate surrounding tissue.

All I meant to imply, is if people have a problem with the stem cells of the unborn, let us work with what we can.

Moi,

I can't lead myself to accept your view because there are no risks, as far as I'm concerned, in using stem-cells to cure these diseases or disorders. Yes, embryos are used in many cases, but there will always be plenty of eggs and plenty of sperm to make as many babies as we could ever want. Saving loved ones is more important than saving individuals that don't exist yet.

Moi,

I can't lead myself to accept your view because there are no risks, as far as I'm concerned, in using stem-cells to cure these diseases or disorders. Yes, embryos are used in many cases, but there will always be plenty of eggs and plenty of sperm to make as many babies as we could ever want. Saving loved ones is more important than saving individuals that don't exist yet.
I'm glad that you can believe that. It probably makes you sleep at night.

The problem is that antibiotic resistent bacteria IS a reality as are the staph infections running rampant in this country. For me that just underscores that every action has a reaction in nature and biology. Obviously many believe this type of research is worth such risk. I, along with many others, do not. Disease and death are a part of life. A part that I don't think we should be messing around with.

Putting aside that my beliefs are based upon more than those individuals that don't exist yet, it is not true that saving loved ones is more important than saving individuals that don't exist yet. That's just your opinion of what's more important. The orginal post was "why am I opposed to it"? You may not agree with my reasons but they are just as valid as yours defending this type of research and, I admit, just as much an opinion.

Saving loved ones is more important than saving individuals that don't exist yet.

And what makes you think they dont exist yet?

Forum List

Back