Why are conservatives so deathly afraid of stem-cell research?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Cousin Vinnie, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Cousin Vinnie

Cousin Vinnie Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Stem-cells have proven to be a real break-through in medicine. Why are conservatives so against research into these stem-cells?

2. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    i can't speak for all conservatives, but I'm not afraid of it. If it has the potential people say it does go for it.

3. SPIKESMYGOD

SPIKESMYGOD Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hey! As long as the research uses the stem cells of would-be future liberals, slice 'em & dice 'em.

4. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Stem-cells have proven to be a real break-through in medicine. Why are conservatives so against research into these stem-cells?

I doubt that any rational person has a problem with stem cell research per se, but stem cell research presents an ethical dilemma. Some see the potential that human fetuses may be aborted simply to provide stem cells for medicine. This practice would be abhorent to anyone who believes in the sanctity of human life.

However, recently stem cells harvested from the blood in the umbilical cord have shown some promise. If that approach can be developed, then only those with some rather "extreme" views would object to such research. Personally I hope this new approach proves viable.

5. winston churchi

winston churchi Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Its more of a personal issue than conservative....for me? I have a problem with using an unborn child as research....it probibly has to do with how I look at life. On one hand you can argue the benefits of this in the long term, but the side I am on is that you are tampering with human life...unborn human life that is...if you are an adult and you choose to be a guiney (?) pig than that is your choice...

6. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I find using an unborn child for research unspeakable,but if they can work with these cells from the umbilical cord,I am o.k. with that. I am firmly pro life and not big on any kind of abortion . At the same time,my stepfather has M.S. and I know more research can help. He isn't severe,just attacks that bother his eyes sometimes and hopefully it stays that way. I know if I had a terminal illness,or God forbis someone I love,I might feel a little different about this kind of research. Something about it just doesn't feel right to me.

7. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,165
    Afraid? Hardly! But that doesnt mean we should pursue growing human embryo to slaughter and test Any more than we are going to do experiments on living people like the nazis did. even if the intentions are good when you mess with human life you are messing with trouble.

I am fine however, like everyone else in taking cells without the need to kill the embroy like from the umbilical cord.

8. lilcountriegal

lilcountriegal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    All in all, I think that is the entire reason people are so afraid of stem cell research.

I dont know of anyone who has a problem with taking stem cells from the umbilical cord. However, greed tends to breed corruption and I only hope stem cell research via umbilical cords, etc., isnt like opening a floodgate that is going to escalate into human embryos.

I'm for stem cell research, but I am a little weary of if society will let it stop there.

9. KLSuddeth

KLSuddeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    awwww how witty of you.....:rolleyes:

10. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Yeah, it's more about where they get the stem cells than what they do with them.