Why are conservatives so deathly afraid of stem-cell research?

C

Cousin Vinnie

Stem-cells have proven to be a real break-through in medicine. Why are conservatives so against research into these stem-cells?

i can't speak for all conservatives, but I'm not afraid of it. If it has the potential people say it does go for it.

Stem-cells have proven to be a real break-through in medicine. Why are conservatives so against research into these stem-cells?

I doubt that any rational person has a problem with stem cell research per se, but stem cell research presents an ethical dilemma. Some see the potential that human fetuses may be aborted simply to provide stem cells for medicine. This practice would be abhorent to anyone who believes in the sanctity of human life.

However, recently stem cells harvested from the blood in the umbilical cord have shown some promise. If that approach can be developed, then only those with some rather "extreme" views would object to such research. Personally I hope this new approach proves viable.

Its more of a personal issue than conservative....for me? I have a problem with using an unborn child as research....it probibly has to do with how I look at life. On one hand you can argue the benefits of this in the long term, but the side I am on is that you are tampering with human life...unborn human life that is...if you are an adult and you choose to be a guiney (?) pig than that is your choice...

I find using an unborn child for research unspeakable,but if they can work with these cells from the umbilical cord,I am o.k. with that. I am firmly pro life and not big on any kind of abortion . At the same time,my stepfather has M.S. and I know more research can help. He isn't severe,just attacks that bother his eyes sometimes and hopefully it stays that way. I know if I had a terminal illness,or God forbis someone I love,I might feel a little different about this kind of research. Something about it just doesn't feel right to me.

Afraid? Hardly! But that doesnt mean we should pursue growing human embryo to slaughter and test Any more than we are going to do experiments on living people like the nazis did. even if the intentions are good when you mess with human life you are messing with trouble.

I am fine however, like everyone else in taking cells without the need to kill the embroy like from the umbilical cord.

All in all, I think that is the entire reason people are so afraid of stem cell research.

I dont know of anyone who has a problem with taking stem cells from the umbilical cord. However, greed tends to breed corruption and I only hope stem cell research via umbilical cords, etc., isnt like opening a floodgate that is going to escalate into human embryos.

I'm for stem cell research, but I am a little weary of if society will let it stop there.

Hey! As long as the research uses the stem cells of would-be future liberals, slice 'em & dice 'em.

awwww how witty of you.....:rolleyes:

How many are aware stem cells are completely irrelevant?

The work of some like Robert O. Becker MD, have proven to be able to regenerate lost limbs in amphibians and go neary up to regenerating lost fingertips in humans.

How?

Electrochemical stimulation. Basically, when healing occurs, there is an electrical charge. By reproducing this charge, and giving a stronger current, the cells that make their way to the injury form clusters, and depending on the charge and power of that said charge, will turn into an appropriate type of cell to regenrate the tissue.

If this is what fetal cells are so necessary for, maybe we ought to rethink the whole "necessity" issue.

All the stem cell debate is is another political football like abortion. It won't go away because each time it comes up, no matter where a politician stands, money is made. If the issue were to die, the money would be lost.

The realitity HERE is that this whole discussion is absurd when the validity for using fetal cells is moot in the first place.

Originally posted by NewGuy
How many are aware stem cells are completely irrelevant?

The work of some like Robert O. Becker MD, have proven to be able to regenerate lost limbs in amphibians and go neary up to regenerating lost fingertips in humans.

How?

Electrochemical stimulation. Basically, when healing occurs, there is an electrical charge. By reproducing this charge, and giving a stronger current, the cells that make their way to the injury form clusters, and depending on the charge and power of that said charge, will turn into an appropriate type of cell to regenrate the tissue.

If this is what fetal cells are so necessary for, maybe we ought to rethink the whole "necessity" issue.
What are you saying? You give a nice paragraph about how stem cells facilitate healing. Then you say it needs to be rethought. Are you saying the healing benefits are not WORTH it for some reason? You do seem to see some value in the research. Just trying to clarify, really.

All the stem cell debate is is another political football like abortion. It won't go away because each time it comes up, no matter where a politician stands, money is made. If the issue were to die, the money would be lost.

The realitity HERE is that this whole discussion is absurd when the validity for using fetal cells is moot in the first place. [/B]

The validity is moot? I've heard of questions being moot, not validity. But actually, since you invented the phrase, I'm going to go do a fusion jazz album called "Moot Validity".

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
What are you saying? You give a nice paragraph about how stem cells facilitate healing. Then you say it needs to be rethought. Are you saying the healing benefits are not WORTH it for some reason? You do seem to see some value in the research. Just trying to clarify, really.

The validity is moot? I've heard of questions being moot, not validity. But actually, since you invented the phrase, I'm going to go do a fusion jazz album called "Moot Validity".

Do you really think your capacity for ignoring facts and statements combined with taking things out of context NEEDS a defense? I put a name in there for people like you to be able to look up the information and understand the reality and gravity of the situation.

I really do not care if you personally care to observe it or not. My text and CONTEXT stands on its own.

I hope you realize each time you try to break down my grammar you really show your inability to understand it yourself.

Do you really think your capacity for ignoring facts and statements combined with taking things out of context NEEDS a defense? I put a name in there for people like you to be able to look up the information and understand the reality and gravity of the situation.

I really do not care if you personally care to observe it or not. My text and CONTEXT stands on its own.

I hope you realize each time you try to break down my grammar you really show your inability to understand it yourself.

Ooo. Mr. Big Guy. Thanks for demonstrating you inability to deal in civil discourse. Much obliged, ma'am.

Your intellect is an exercise in vagueness.

Originally posted by Avatar4321
Afraid? Hardly! But that doesnt mean we should pursue growing human embryo to slaughter and test

um, they wouldn't be growing humans just to test them.

I believe stem cells are also present in certain neural tissues of all adults. Considering that, I would think it's only a matter of finding a consenting adult to contribute neural stem cells.

I don't know if there are bans on using stem cells acquired from adults in this country.

I'm not afraid of anything. I do not think humans should be tampering with most of what they do in nature. So I'm against certain types of research for that reason. It has nothing to do with my political beliefs- it's more a belief that the universe as a whole should not be tampered with.

My obvious question is different: is every person in favor of such medical research willing to gamble with the greater universal good and, if so, why are their selfish needs worth such a risk?

Originally posted by Zhukov
I believe stem cells are also present in certain neural tissues of all adults. Considering that, I would think it's only a matter of finding a consenting adult to contribute neural stem cells.

I don't know if there are bans on using stem cells acquired from adults in this country.

That's true, but the use of "adult stem-cells" limits the use of the stem cell to only rebuilding that kind of tissue. "Embryonic stem-cells" are used because they have the potential to develop into any one of the over 200 different kinds of cells in the body.

It can save many, many lives with all different kinds of diseases or ailments and I'm all for it.

Originally posted by Moi
...why are their selfish needs worth such a risk?

You call striving to save lives a "selfish need?"

Forum List

Back