Why are conservatives so convinced that liberals detest the wealthy?

What is their fair share?

The top 1 percent of earners account for 20.3 percent of total personal income in the United States and pay 21.5 percent of all federal and state taxes. The middle 20 percent of households earn 11.6 percent of US income and pay 10.3 percent of taxes. The lowest 20 percent account for just 3.5 percent of income, and pay 2 percent of all taxes.

On average, the wealthiest people in America pay a lot more taxes than the middle class or the poor, according to private and government data. They pay at a higher rate, and as a group, they contribute a much larger share of the overall taxes collected by the federal government.

There may be individual millionaires who pay taxes at rates lower than middle-income workers. In 2009 1,470 households filed tax returns with incomes above $1 million yet paid no federal income tax, according to the Internal Revenue Service. That, however, was less than 1 percent of the nearly 237,000 returns with incomes above $1 million.

This year, households making more than $1 million will pay an average of 29.1% of their income in federal taxes, including income taxes and payroll taxes, according to the Tax Policy Center, a Washington think tank.

Households making between $50,000 and $75,000 will pay 15% of their income in federal taxes. Lower-income households will pay less. For example, households making between $40,000 and $50,000 will pay an average of 12.5% of their income in federal taxes. Households making between $20,000 and $30,000 will pay 5.7%.

Even wealthy liberals detest wealthy conservatives.
I've been personally confronted many times, but have never broached the subject of my liberal friends' wealth.
It's a sad and pathetic condition of the liberal mindset. No rhyme or reason, more like an inherent disease.

The top 1 percent of earners account for 20.3 percent of total personal income in the United States and pay 21.5 percent of all federal and state taxes. The middle 20 percent of households earn 11.6 percent of US income and pay 10.3 percent of taxes. The lowest 20 percent account for just 3.5 percent of income, and pay 2 percent of all taxes.

On average, the wealthiest people in America pay a lot more taxes than the middle class or the poor, according to private and government data. They pay at a higher rate, and as a group, they contribute a much larger share of the overall taxes collected by the federal government.

There may be individual millionaires who pay taxes at rates lower than middle-income workers. In 2009 1,470 households filed tax returns with incomes above $1 million yet paid no federal income tax, according to the Internal Revenue Service. That, however, was less than 1 percent of the nearly 237,000 returns with incomes above $1 million.

This year, households making more than $1 million will pay an average of 29.1% of their income in federal taxes, including income taxes and payroll taxes, according to the Tax Policy Center, a Washington think tank.

Households making between $50,000 and $75,000 will pay 15% of their income in federal taxes. Lower-income households will pay less. For example, households making between $40,000 and $50,000 will pay an average of 12.5% of their income in federal taxes. Households making between $20,000 and $30,000 will pay 5.7%.

Of course the top 1% pay more in taxes, but given their income, they aren't paying enough. Their tax rates are at an all time low.

Check out the graphs on pages 9-11 in my signature.

Last edited:

Maybe a society where the average working/middle class family didn't have to send both spouses (or the equivalent) out every day to work a full time job to make ends meet would be fairer.

Forty or fifty years ago the 2 earner family was relatively rare. Now it's commonplace and most young people seem to take it for granted that if they get married and have a family, both spouses are going to have to work.

That is as emblematic as anything of the fall of the middle class in this country, and to the extent that earnings lost by the middle class have moved to the wealthier class and made them even wealthier,

that is the unfairness.

I certainly don't. I'd just like them to pay their fair share in taxes.

they do asswipe. but, I could bring it to your attention that 50% of Americans pay ZERO,, that's the group that really doesn't pay a "fair share" or any share for that matter..

they do asswipe. but, I could bring it to your attention that 50% of Americans pay ZERO,, that's the group that really doesn't pay a "fair share" or any share for that matter..

Um, no, 47% do not pay FEDERAL taxes. Get your facts straight or don't bother trying.

The idea that the rich should pay their fair share is a flat out lie. No lib wants them to pay a fair share. They want the rich to be left with a fair share. The CEO should have the same income as the company janitor. That's "fair". Libs want a level of taxation to equalize income. Fair becomes 90% or even higher.

They pay zero in income taxes because of stagnant wages, and because of tax cuts given to them by REPUBLICANS, and you want to make them even poorer?

What will that accomplish?

They pay zero in income taxes because of stagnant wages, and because of tax cuts given to them by REPUBLICANS, and you want to make them even poorer?

I want them to pay a share. Why should they pay NOTHING,, REAP the BENEFITS of a REBATE even and then scream WE WANT MORE???

Let's start with a fair share of what they were paying when Clinton was president and we actually had a budget surplus

LOL I love my tax break but he should not have one.

From Democrats We can not treat anyone equally until we examine their wallet.

Your post makes no sense whatsoever. Was that your intent? To jabber incomprehensibly? If so, well done.

I want them to pay a share. Why should they pay NOTHING,, REAP the BENEFITS of a REBATE even and then scream WE WANT MORE???

The question is, what will that accomplish? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, I'm asking you what will that accomplish?

Fair is subjective, idiot....

I want everyone to pay equal % shares on every dollar earned... with no loopholes and no exceptions....

For you see, I am about equal treatment, not some class warfare game... Your envy, and the envy of those like you, sickens me to the core

Your post makes no sense whatsoever. Was that your intent? To jabber incomprehensibly? If so, well done.

LOL You are slower then most.

Forum List

Back