Why are Christians allowed to pick and choose?

Govmule4

Rookie
Jun 15, 2012
This thread stems from my misunderstanding of how many Christians take some literal interpretations of the bible but not all. Why is it reasonable to comb through the bible to pick and choose the areas to believe? For example, I often think of Leviticus in terms of the current gay marriage debate. I feel that most of the things in Leviticus are not followed by modern Christians, except its rhetoric on gay relations. Why do Christians feel so strongly attached to some parts and ignore other parts? I realize this is not a conscious decision, but there seem to be a denial of how rigorously Christians follow their bible.

Well, it is one thing for a group within a country to acknowledge dislike for an aspect of the system and choose not to take part, but it is a different story entirely when that group infringes on other people's chance t take part.

This thread stems from my misunderstanding of how many Christians take some literal interpretations of the bible but not all. Why is it reasonable to comb through the bible to pick and choose the areas to believe? For example, I often think of Leviticus in terms of the current gay marriage debate. I feel that most of the things in Leviticus are not followed by modern Christians, except its rhetoric on gay relations. Why do Christians feel so strongly attached to some parts and ignore other parts? I realize this is not a conscious decision, but there seem to be a denial of how rigorously Christians follow their bible.

You're still misunderstanding. One does not "comb through" and "pick and choose". One reads the ENTIRE book, and deals with it in the context of the ENTIRE book. Certain things about the Old Testament - NOT the prohibition against homosexuality, in case you're wondering - are later made obsolete in the New Testament.

Well, it is one thing for a group within a country to acknowledge dislike for an aspect of the system and choose not to take part, but it is a different story entirely when that group infringes on other people's chance t take part.

What the hell are you talking about?

What the hell are you talking about?

He was replying to sky dumb ass with her defense of Muslim murder and gay bashing.

The individual is entitled to his or her own illumination of conscience by the divine, and as such as no inherent power to "pick or choose" for others.

You're still misunderstanding. One does not "comb through" and "pick and choose". One reads the ENTIRE book, and deals with it in the context of the ENTIRE book. Certain things about the Old Testament - NOT the prohibition against homosexuality, in case you're wondering - are later made obsolete in the New Testament.

What about working on the Sabbath? Was the law against that every made obsolete in the New Testament? If so, chapter and verse please.

I would like to think Christians and all who believe in the Almighty put some time into reading the scriptures in it's entirety. There is definitely a message and it clears up a lot of false doctrines.

I believe many of the commands given to the Israelites were meant for them. They failed and the covenant was broken between them and God. But he took care of the problem with the perfect atonement for man.

He is just asking us to be the best we can and believe with all our heart mind and soul. Put faith in him is all that is needed with a few other things mentioned.

I am thankful that God let me feel his presence several times nothing like it.

I often think of Leviticus in terms of the current gay marriage debate. I feel that most of the things in Leviticus are not followed by modern Christians, except its rhetoric on gay relations. Why do Christians feel so strongly attached to some parts and ignore other parts?

I'd like to go to your church, where people are still talking about stoning fags.

You're a f-ing idiot. Millions of Christians make a sincere and conscious effort to follow all the Bible, just not your shit-for-brains interpretation of it.

"Allowed"?

Who is allowing or disallowing beliefs?

Well, for starters, we have some boner brains trying to establish mandated school prayer in tax supported systems.

Not necessarily.

Insofar as it is an unconscious decision, it's just basic, common human wiring. It's the same thing with people who want some new law or regulation passed. You don't see people saying, "The government needs to pass a law to stop -ME- from doing X". What you see is, "Too many people are doing X, which I don't approve of, and the law needs to do something about it". Most people believe that regulations on others are necessary to keep those others from doing them wrong, but generally trust that their own judgement requires no such interference. It's simply emotionally easier (and therefore more common) to place your focus on things other people are doing wrong than to focus on things you're doing wrong.

My God is very black and white I have no choice I either believe or I don't. When God said love your neighor as yourself, he did not give me a choice to say you are not my neighbor so screw you. It doesn't make any difference whether you are black, white, brown or any other color. It does make any difference whether you are richk poor, educated or not. People that interpret the bible to prove their own believe are not worshiping the same God I do. I am will to be on my choice good luck the rest of you.

What about working on the Sabbath? Was the law against that every made obsolete in the New Testament? If so, chapter and verse please.

Colossians 2:16-17 - Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

I could go into a lot more detail about the difference between the general instruction in the Ten Commandments to remember the Sabbath, and the very specific instruction to the Israelites, but quite frankly, I see no point. You have no interest in understanding the Bible or what God wants from us. You're just looking to nitpick the words while ignoring the spirit and context, so you can twist them to your own use, and I don't respect that.

Come find me when your purpose is to understand Christianity, rather than to attack Christians.

Forum List

Back