Why are Blacks hypersenstive about reperations?

I have letters written by my Irish ancestors telling of the signs in the windows "No Irish need apply." We lived in a really prejudiced area when an Italian relative needed a haircut just before he got married. My father had to accompany him to the barber shop to be sure they would seat him; otherwise they would mistake him for what they called a 'wetback' and order him out. Before desegregation in the 1950's and 60's, just about every small southern town had a '******' town and they called them that.

Well those Irish went on to become teachers, lawyers, bankers, and college presidents. That Italian relative became a championship winning football coach and eventually superintendent of schools. Those 'wetbacks' now own businesses and are the backbone of their communities--and more than just few of their children are members of my family. There are no more 'n' towns and some of the residents of those places and their kids became our colleagues, coworkers, and bridge partners.

The point is, almost everybody has to overcome something, and there is no realistic way that any society can 'pay back' every single slight, injustice, or affront to every person that has been treated or make amends for every challenge we have had to face.

Paulitics hit the nail on the head when he said that black people should be grateful they were not born in Africa. Yes slavery was horrible and indefensible. Segregation was cruel and senseless. But every single one of my black heroes--Thomas Sowell, Walter Williams, JC Watts, William Raspberry, Clarence Thomas, Shelby Steele and I could go on and on--agree that they are infinitely better off because somebody dragged their ancesters over here in chains on a slave ship. Even though they were all born into a segregated society, they have watched those inequities be corrected, and they all know they are privileged to live in a free society that values human life and offers unlimited opportunities. All have accomplished great things and have lived amazing lives.

They know they would have had less hurdles to jump over if they had been born white. But they don't waste time whining about those hurdles because they were all able to jump them. They know that had they been born in Africa, their options would have almost certainly been severely limited if they had managed to live at all.

And no, they are not due any reparations from anybody.

Wrong. You can only really hold your own country accountable. Black Americans are Americans and have no recourse against a foreign government.
Last week, African nations sued US Corporations for selling products to white Africans.

You can sue African nations through the International court.
The Jewish have sued Germany concerning the holocaust.

What about the Irish, Germans, Italians etc....?
What about Mexicans? They are being paid slave wages now!

They all faced discrimination, slavery and violence, you are discriminating against them now. :eek:

Last edited:
My Family Sire was brought here as a conscripted Scottish soldier to fight the French and Indians. He hated England and immediately joined the Revolution.

Ravi, I understand where you are coming from but Paul is saying that the end result for Black Slaves in the USA was so much better than what it could have been that it constitutes a reparation in itself.

My Family Sire was brought here as a conscripted Scottish soldier to fight the French and Indians. He hated England and immediately joined the Revolution.

Ravi, I understand where you are coming from but Paul is saying that the end result for Black Slaves in the USA was so much better than what it could have been that it constitutes a reparation in itself.

It might. There really is no way to know because we don't have anything to compare...would the US be a dominant force in the world without slavery? It just isn't knowable.

Regardless, reparations are a stupid idea and not going to happen.

Regardless, reparations are a stupid idea and not going to happen.

President Obama is likely to sign into law an act to study the structure and feasibility of reparations. I agree reparations are a crazy idea, but lots of crazy ideas have been put into play by the direction of history.

Really, whites have been paying reparations all along -- the trillion dollars earned by whites and transferred to blacks over the course of LBJ's "Great Society" welfare programs are one example, affirmative action is another, do-nothing government jobs for blacks another, the provision of life in a civilized society without a request for anything in return (like obeying the fucking law) yet another, the massive amounts spent on police and prisons, the billions of man-hours wasted because of inefficient and/or incompetent black workers in American industry and service, the list is endless. Blacks are a big drag on the American economic machine, and it's a testament to whites that they can pull them along and still rank high as a nation. Blacks are a big drag on pretty much everything else, too.

Whites made a huge mistake in enslaving blacks, but they should not have to pay for that mistake forever. My solution would be to engage in one last round of reparations by offering passage back to Africa upon a withdrawal of American citizenship and paving the way for other forms of racial separation.

The fact that we're even having a discussion about reparations reveals how utterly un-fixable race relations are in America. Blacks and whites can't live in the same society, period. It's far too hard on everyone.

I doubt it.

I once did, but here is my source:

Peter Kirsanow on Civil-Rights Legistlations on National Review Online

Commission to Study Reparations Proposals for African-Americans Act.
Rep. John Conyers has introduced this legislation every year since 1989, but with a Democrat in the White House and significant congressional majorities, this bill finally has an opportunity to be enacted. The purpose of the bill is to create a commission to study the impact of slavery in the United States and recommend appropriate remedies, including an apology to and reparations for blacks. The House Judiciary Committee on the Constitution held hearings related to the bill in December 2007. The bill is modeled after that which granted reparations to Japanese-Americans interned during World War II.

Last edited:
Blacks are always looking for free handouts.

yes just make a generalization about blacks.

I'm a black woman, who's educated and independent. I never expect people to give me money. My parents always taught if I want to be wealthy in this life i have to work hard for it.

I could care less if blacks got reparation or not. Quite frankly i think reparation won't even solve the black community's problems.

Forum List

Back