why are big cities more liberal

It's a simple fact that the average level of education is higher in urban areas than rural ones.
Why are you excluding suburban areas?

Because the most easily accessible census data doesn't cut it that direction.

The rural areas are less educated than the urban areas, so the assumption you dismiss is not "hogwash", it's fact.

If your definition of so-called education features the zombies and brain-dead entitlement whores cranked out by public indoctrination facilities you like to call schools, then I'd have to agree that your urban paradise is, in fact, peopled by those more "educated".

I wanna hear your reasons why. What is the main reason ?

Liberals tend to have a more "worldly" and "sophisticated" view.
I've lived in big cities and in the country.
People in the country have often never personally knew or spent a lot of real, close, personal time with a hispanic, a gay or often times, even a black.
People in the cities couldn't avoid personally knowing every kind of person you could imagine. So they learned those people weren't as evil as they were led to believe.

There are very few major universities in small towns. Even then, those universities have people from every race, denomination and persuasion you could imagine. Direct exposure to something different than that to which you are accustomed, teaches you the difference between the prejudices that you have been taught, and the reality. Sometimes, people from Europe are nice! Gay people are nice! Whatever you have been taught to hate, is really not as bad as you've been told. Hell, even Muslims can be nice, beer-drinking people! I know a couple. Imagine that!
That's why.

Last edited:
Quite the opposite. Cities are run top down. Smaller suburbs, villages are run bottom up. The people know what they need, just have to figure out how to pay for it. They tend not to run to the federal government on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd attempt to get something done.

you must have missed my point. Let's take zoning and land use planning: Governments in densely populated areas are much more involved in zoning and land use restrictions. That's because people living in more densely populated areas have a greater need for an established set of community norms related to the issue.

Actually, the 'people' have little ability to input ideas in the cities, I didn't miss your point. As I said, government including projects are implemented upon the inhabitants.

In smaller communities, the government body is much more likely to be responding to community ideas, their roll becomes feasibility and affordability. It those two are a go, execution.

I don't think that is correct, there are plenty of opportunities for the people to have input in what goes on in their cities, at least there are in mine. We vote on projects (sometimes ad nauseum), we vote on bonds, and we hold hearings. On a real local level, I have requested from the city to have changes made to the street on which I live and they have complied. Took awhile..... but they did it.

I think you can be as anonymous as you want in a big city or you can be as gregarious. If I lived in a building with 1500 people, I would get to know plenty of them because that's who I am.

1. they're more diverse, so generally more tolerant.
2. they have to work together more
3. bigger problems requiring bigger solutions
4. more population to provide infrastructure and services for
5. greater numbers of more educated people and more access to culture as well as large working class and poorer populations.

Good recovery for the OP. Still there are problems. It's not just the cities that are 'diverse,' but in recent years suburbs too. Funny that the 'new guy in town' has been able to make the transition better than the old guard, with their years of practice. Oh yeah, the old guard way was to bribe, most suburbs work on education front.

Infrastructure is an issue form many suburbs, not just cities. Indeed, in many areas jobs in suburbs exceed those in major cities. Still those suburbs, at least in IL don''t go first to DC, but first county, then state.

the question did not ask why cities are liberal and suburbs aren't. it asked why cities are more liberal. in relative terms, the city has more of the things i mentioned.

1. they're more diverse, so generally more tolerant.
2. they have to work together more
3. bigger problems requiring bigger solutions
4. more population to provide infrastructure and services for
5. greater numbers of more educated people and more access to culture as well as large working class and poorer populations.

1. Diversity = Tolerance? Tell that to the Jews and well anybody. Jews and Germans, Jews and Muslims...

And btw, what does tolerance even mean? That just seems like a clicky lib word to me that doesn't really even mean a whole lot. If they're so tolerant then why is it that if a white guy walks down the wrong street or park then his life is literally threatened? Last I checked, that's not how it works in the burbs.

2. They do? I've worked in the inner cities and I haven't found an increase in "working together." I've found that parental support is very pathetic in many cases.

3. Bigger problem requiring bigger solutions lol. Nah. If anything, bigger cities have much better economies of scale working in their favor. But corruption is much more rampant. Bigger solutions sounds like a euphemism for holding the ole hand out.

4. Conservatives are against infrastructure? This is news to me. Infrastructure is better in the suburbs. So I'd venture that you're wrong again.

5. Greater numbers of more educated people? Have you seen the graduation rates in cities like Detroit, Baltimore, Washington DC, Los Angeles? I think you're out in lala land.

People with more exposure to those who are different are generally more tolerant.

Cities have more educated people.

Those would be my guesses.

I chuckle at the generalizations from the left.
The assumption that educated people live in cities and therefore the suburbs and rural areas are reserved for the "uneducated".....Hogwash.

It's a simple fact that the average level of education is higher in urban areas than rural ones.
As was noted, suburban arias generally have a higher education level and you conveniently seem to leave them out. I would actually like to see you source your supposition that cities have a higher education level. I call bullshit on that.

I think it's the reverse. People who live outside of cities are more conservative. It makes sense. If your nearest neighbor is half a mile away, it's easy to live your life in a bubble where your only concerns are your concerns.

Actually if your closest neighbors are a half a mile away, you are quite likely to know them, their kids, their parents, even the names of their pets. Living in a building of 1500 or more? Not so likely. Your work hours aren't in sync, neither of you have kids, etc.
This is a good and interesting point. Liberals are all over the 'community' and 'tolerance' bandwagon here but if any of them actually lived in a city you can't tell. There is far more community in rural areas and the people out there actually do look out for, and trust, one another. That is a very rare thing in a large city.

Cities attract people who tend to be more liberal, more social, and more inclined to want the things that only a complex society can provide.

People in cities tend to better understand that if one wants the things that collectivism can provide, then one needs to pay taxes and give up some freedoms for those benefits.

People who don't live in cities tend not to care so much about those things that civilization can provide and since they also don't benefit from those things (they don't live near) they also quite reasonably object to having to PAY for those things, too.

This divide between urban dwellers and rural dwellers isn't new and it isn't particular to America, either.

This difference in POV is found thoughout history and thoughout various cultures, too.

And when revolutions against the government happens, often what we find is that the revolution is started and supported by most city dwellers, and the rural folks tend NOT to support those revolutions and often fight for the King

We certainly saw that difference between city v rual folks in both the French and the Russian revolutions, as well as in the US revolution, too.

Rural people TEND to be have more conservative outlooks in just about every way one can have an opinion about anything.

Last edited:
I chuckle at the generalizations from the left.
The assumption that educated people live in cities and therefore the suburbs and rural areas are reserved for the "uneducated".....Hogwash.

As was noted, suburban arias generally have a higher education level and you conveniently seem to leave them out. I would actually like to see you source your supposition that cities have a higher education level. I call bullshit on that.
I think it's the reverse. People who live outside of cities are more conservative. It makes sense. If your nearest neighbor is half a mile away, it's easy to live your life in a bubble where your only concerns are your concerns.

Actually if your closest neighbors are a half a mile away, you are quite likely to know them, their kids, their parents, even the names of their pets. Living in a building of 1500 or more? Not so likely. Your work hours aren't in sync, neither of you have kids, etc.
This is a good and interesting point. Liberals are all over the 'community' and 'tolerance' bandwagon here but if any of them actually lived in a city you can't tell. There is far more community in rural areas and the people out there actually do look out for, and trust, one another. That is a very rare thing in a large city.

i don't think that's true at all.

in fact, i think living in a city, you tend to make your own area smaller, by making it yours and creating a community.

but then again, i actually live in a city.

you?

I'll agree with that :cool::cool::cool:

Attachments

• $bhouz.jpg
    $bhouz.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 26
Annie opined:

"Cities are the location of most immigrants and minorities. These are folks that need help."

I beg to disagree. I am an immigrant, and I never came to a big city until I learned enough English to come and try my luck, after working as lumberjack, bellhop, miner and an adult student enrolled in high school to earn my diploma.

Along the way I was unemployed for only a short time, and once I moved to the big city, I stayed with the company that hired me as a laborer, for 37 and a half years, retiring as a computer programmer, whose interactive applications are still used world wide.

I never asked for or received government assistance, except for the short time I was unemployed.

And just for the record, I am a minority. Not a VISIBLE one, but as soon as I open my mouth everyone knows that I am an AUDIBLE minority because of my accent.

Simple. That's where the government services are always located.
The people feeding off the trough are going to live nearby.

Of course, the minorities vote Dem because they know where the racists are, so “why are cities Dem” should really be the question…

I saw two African American clergy men with Bill O'Reilley on the Factor. The main topic was the endorsement and approval of gay marriage by President Obama. One of them agreed with the President, the other did not. One agreed with the President on just about everything so it was no surprise when he declared that he would vote for re-election, when asked by O'Reilley. The other guy opposed Obama the President on just about every other topic, including the contentious issue of abortion, yet he said that he would also vote for Obama.

Were either of these two guys offended when Herman Cain said that black are brainwashed?

Easy answer.

Because people in bigger cities have been accustomed to having everything done for them or micromanaged by the government. There is always a sign, or cop, or gov't official, to tell them where to go, what to do, how to do it, and what they arent allowed to do. Thousands of little city codes and ordinances to control the masses.

In rural areas, people have to tend to their own. The local sheriff's deputy may be 30 miles away, so if you and the neighbor get into a fight, you'll work it out yourselves. You dont call the govt because something is wrong.....you and your neighbors find a way to fix it.

Thats the easy answer. Like the Pavlov dogs in the city.l

Forum List

Back