why are big cities more liberal

I don't know a 'core' reason, but have suppositions:

Cities are the location of most immigrants and minorities. These are folks that need help.

Cities have both the richest and poorest amongst us. Many of the richest really want the poorest to get help and get out of their way. Seriously. They don't want them on the street, certainly not in their parks.

The tendency to find a sense of anomie in cities. With no connections easily made, one looks for stability from government. Can't rely on your neighbors, you don't know them.

Last edited:
I wanna hear your reasons why. What is the main reason ?

Because the more crowded a place is, the less individualistic the people are politically. The go-along-to-get-along mentality is a safety mechanism. When you're surrounded by strangers, people tend to not want to rock the boat.

Just a guess as to one reason.

Because living in more densely populated areas requires more community decision making with regards to land use and caring for community members.

Quite the opposite. Cities are run top down. Smaller suburbs, villages are run bottom up. The people know what they need, just have to figure out how to pay for it. They tend not to run to the federal government on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd attempt to get something done.

I don't know a 'core' reason, but have suppostions:

Cities are the location of most immigrants and minorities. These are folks that need help.

Cities have both the richest and poorest amongst us. Many of the richest really want the poorest to get help and get out of their way. Seriously. They don't want them on the street, certainly not in their parks.

The tendency to find a sense of anomie in cities. With no connections easily made, one looks for stability from government. Can't rely on your neighbors, you don't know them.
That's a good point.

Because living in more densely populated areas requires more community decision making with regards to land use and caring for community members.

Quite the opposite. Cities are run top down. Smaller suburbs, villages are run bottom up. The people know what they need, just have to figure out how to pay for it. They tend not to run to the federal government on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd attempt to get something done.

you must have missed my point. Let's take zoning and land use planning: Governments in densely populated areas are much more involved in zoning and land use restrictions. That's because people living in more densely populated areas have a greater need for an established set of community norms related to the issue.

Also living in big cities with more diverse people causes you to meat gay/minority people and realzie that they are not evil beings bent on killing sthateets or whate ever

you must have missed my point. Let's take zoning and land use planning: Governments in densely populated areas are much more involved in zoning and land use restrictions. That's because people living in more densely populated areas have a greater need for an established set of community norms related to the issue.

They do? Since when? Groupthink shit again? Putting one group over another and thier lives? Rural people count for_________________?

Pretty damned elitist view Karl.

Last edited:
more racist whites tend to stay away from minorities so they tend leave the cities to be with more whites

I think it's the reverse. People who live outside of cities are more conservative. It makes sense. If your nearest neighbor is half a mile away, it's easy to live your life in a bubble where your only concerns are your concerns.

I think it's the reverse. People who live outside of cities are more conservative. It makes sense. If your nearest neighbor is half a mile away, it's easy to live your life in a bubble where your only concerns are your concerns.

How s that the reverse of people in big cities being liberal?

You're an idiot.

:cuckoo:

Actually, the 'people' have little ability to input ideas in the cities, I didn't miss your point. As I said, government including projects are implemented upon the inhabitants.

In smaller communities, the government body is much more likely to be responding to community ideas, their roll becomes feasibility and affordability. It those two are a go, execution.

Forum List

Back