Why Are Atheists Obsessed With Religion?

I find it odd that most of the comments on topics dealing with religion are made by atheists. I have noticed this phenomenon on many message boards on the internet.

It seems that atheism is more than just the belief that God does not exist. Atheists actively and aggressively condemn religion and belittle those who believe in God. Atheists seek to discredit, mock and belittle religion and harass it's followers. They seek out internet forums that discuss religion only to mock and taunt the believers. Atheist groups pay for billboards, TV and bus signs that ridicule religion and God. They tear down crosses at cemeteries and war memorials. They bring court cases to remove the word God from our currency and our schools and to have the Ten Commandments removed from our courthouses. Predominant Atheists even write books about their so called non-belief. It seems to me that: "Thou atheists doth protest too much".

It seems that atheists have a disdain for God, religion and their followers. It seems that atheists are angry with God. If this is true, then they aren't atheists at all. Could it be that atheists just hate or resent God?

I honestly don't know why many atheists are such activists. I think they are just haters, often of themelves, and need someone to take it out on so they feel they have a purpose in life. Pitiful.

The ones I know, are not activists, and couldn't care less about trying to change anything people love and believe in. They believe in the "live and let live" philosophy. They mind their own business and are generally quite content people.

AA writes, "I honestly don't know why many atheists are such activists. I think they are just haters, often of themelves, and need someone to take it out on so they feel they have a purpose in life. Pitiful."

Many people including libs and cons and in between and whatever "are just haters, often of themselves, and need someone to take it out on so they feel they have a purpose in life."

AA writes, "I honestly don't know why many atheists are such activists. I think they are just haters, often of themelves, and need someone to take it out on so they feel they have a purpose in life. Pitiful."

Many people including libs and cons and in between and whatever "are just haters, often of themselves, and need someone to take it out on so they feel they have a purpose in life."

I agree with AA than some, not most Atheists go out of their way to poke their finger in the eye of the religious. I have yet to see an atheist go door to door trying to convince people that god is a myth.
Many religious people are also haters of anyone who believes differently than themselves.

Many, not most, in my opinion, do hate others of different religious positions,

Why are believers in God determined to persecute those who do not believe like them?

You have your answer for this thread.

Most of you have proved my point. There are more comments attacking, mocking and demonizing religion than anything else in this thread which happens to be posted in the religion section.

Not really, garyganu.

They are mocking what you consider your 'religious values', which we recognize as silliness.

I find it odd that most of the comments on topics dealing with religion are made by atheists. I have noticed this phenomenon on many message boards on the internet.

It seems that atheism is more than just the belief that God does not exist. Atheists actively and aggressively condemn religion and belittle those who believe in God. Atheists seek to discredit, mock and belittle religion and harass it's followers. They seek out internet forums that discuss religion only to mock and taunt the believers. Atheist groups pay for billboards, TV and bus signs that ridicule religion and God. They tear down crosses at cemeteries and war memorials. They bring court cases to remove the word God from our currency and our schools and to have the Ten Commandments removed from our courthouses. Predominant Atheists even write books about their so called non-belief. It seems to me that: "Thou atheists doth protest too much".

It seems that atheists have a disdain for God, religion and their followers. It seems that atheists are angry with God. If this is true, then they aren't atheists at all. Could it be that atheists just hate or resent God?

You are painting with a broad brush.
The atheists that attack religion are no more representative of all atheists than the Westboro Baptist Church is representative of all baptists.

I'm an atheist, and I will admit that I used to sometimes post things in an attempt to belittle or deride religious people. Typically when I did that it was to inflame and aggravate religious fanatics. I have long since stopped doing that.
If a person finds their religion to be helpful to them, to keep them on strong moral footing, and an emotional benefit to them, then I say carry on with your religion. If their religion includes harming me or removing my rights, then I will argue those actions, not the religion itself.

Full disclosure statement:
I have a serious problem with Scientology. I've never been a Scientologist, but I have had family members and friends that got involved in it. I've seen it ruin people both financially and emotionally, I've seen it destroy families, I've seen the pain it has caused, I've seen people struggle to rebuild their lives and families after getting involved with that so called religion. I've personally been a target of Scientology's "fair game" tactics. Scientology is one religion (and I use that term loosely) that I will be aggressive with when it comes to arguing against religion.

The atheists that attack religion are no more representative of all atheists than the Westboro Baptist Church is representative of all baptists.

I'm an atheist, and I will admit that I used to sometimes post things in an attempt to belittle or deride religious people. Typically when I did that it was to inflame and aggravate religious fanatics. I have long since stopped doing that.
If a person finds their religion to be helpful to them, to keep them on strong moral footing, and an emotional benefit to them, then I say carry on with your religion. If their religion includes harming me or removing my rights, then I will argue those actions, not the religion itself.

I have a serious problem with Scientology. I've never been a Scientologist, but I have had family members and friends that got involved in it. I've seen it ruin people both financially and emotionally, I've seen it destroy families, I've seen the pain it has caused, I've seen people struggle to rebuild their lives and families after getting involved with that so called religion. I've personally been a target of Scientology's "fair game" tactics. Scientology is one religion (and I use that term loosely) that I will be aggressive with when it comes to arguing against religion.

Thanks for including your personal experience alan. I would like to learn more about how Scientology was harmful to your friends and family.

By the way, The Westboro Baptists are not Baptists. They are a fringe cult that is not affiliated with any Christian Church and all Christian churches denounce them.

Last edited:
garyganu wants to make sweeping pronouncements, a la california girl or koshergirl. The Westboros are not my cup of tea, garyganu, but your statement does not make them not a part of Christianity. I think we can agree they are a depraved portion of it, though.

Thanks for including your personal experience alan. I would like to learn more about how Scientology was harmful to your friends and family.

By the way, The Westboro Baptists are not Baptists. They are a fringe cult that is not affiliated with any Christian Church and all Christian churches denounce them.

I'll send you a PM concerning the $cientology.

I understand that Westboro is not representative of most Baptists or Christians, that was my point. The same principle applies to atheists and vocal atheist groups.

I'll send you a PM concerning the $cientology.

I understand that Westboro is not representative of most Baptists or Christians, that was my point. The same principle applies to atheists and vocal atheist groups.

Many atheists seem to be quite vocal on this site about their disdain for religion and those who believe in God. On the other hand, I have never heard from anyone who supports the Westboro Baptist Church.

There may have been one of the Westboros a couple of years ago on the Board for a short time.,

Forum List

Back