Why Amazon couldn’t make a Kindle here if it wanted to

My point is that we may have the facilites to manufacture in mass. We could probably get them up and running quickly. What we dont have is the workforce to produce like we had to during ww2. There are not enough machinists and welders to start up large scale manufacture in the case of a world war.

But you have murkins that can kick some serious ass on an Xbox.:lol::cuckoo:

Thank God for that.

Give them to me for 3 months I would make a welder out of all of them. As long as I could beat them.

Denning's a moron writing what passes for normal in Forbes. He and is useful idiots lack the focus to decide what they want, the honesty to see what we got, and the intelligence to make it happen.

First, they sort of say America would be better off having most of its workforce in manufacturing instead of services. That's crazy. OK it would be good if Denning the moron quit journalism to go tighten bolts at GM, but the rest of us have better things to do.

Second, they're kind of saying the US can't manufacture what it did in the last century. That's crazy too because even with the slump our outputs higher than anything before 2005-
mfgoutp.png

The worst part is how these clowns use this muddle to push the same ol' big government tax'n'spend crock that's been holding us back for years now. Enough is enough.

Tried to trace back the source of that graph.. I'm really skeptical of what's counted as "gross value of total products". How much of that is Re-imported? What is the real domestic content?

I know productivity has gone up -- but NOT that much. Someone's fudging the definitions and the numbers.. Can you link that graphic back to Commerce or whomever burbed that crap up?? All I get is a community college website in Panama (shhhh -- I won't tell)..

You mean statistics like this??

ipg2.gif

Looks like consumer goods have bobbed and weaved horizontally for a decade now.. But I STILL don't know what the Fed Reserve is counting as production.. Could be 50% made in Mexico and still qualify..

That article makes no sense.

If anyone wanted to make any of that here they could. The technology to make all that stuff is not restricted by geography. Also, Apple does all of its manufacturing in China at Foxconn, which supposedly drives people to suicide.

Actually the Apple part is the only part that does not make sense.
The rest is spot on.

It does not make sense in the context of an article about manufacturing in the US. Apple also makes hardware that has to go back to them if any service is needed. Need a new battery for your iPhone? Not only wil it cost you an arm and a leg, you will have to wait two weeks to get it back, and it will be reset to factory default. You will loose all your data, history, and applications that you installed. If that is a focus on costumer needs I am Bill Gates.

That article makes no sense.

If anyone wanted to make any of that here they could. The technology to make all that stuff is not restricted by geography. Also, Apple does all of its manufacturing in China at Foxconn, which supposedly drives people to suicide.

Not really.. If you wanted to open a new PCBoard manufacturing plant in Silicon Valley, you'd need an army of people just to respond to all the Enviro Impact reports, materials handling and disposal issues and the myriad of dullard questions about whether you are "green enough".

Battery plants? are you crazy? It's not just cheap labor, but it's also the issue of laying out enough capital to make a "modern" facility that can avoid labor costs. That means a longer time to market to get the robotics and automation on-line.

A longer time to market is a KILLER when you are calculating ROI. So the only way out of this is "pre-design" the automation requirements. Like having drop-in materials handling that can be customized to a particular application just with moderate amounts of S/W development and coding..

Don't confuse the progressives with facts about government regulations keeping the industry they think we need in other parts of the world. NIMBY is a Constitutional right with them, which is why they support zoning laws, and oppose wind farms in Cape Cod. It might upset the rich people who live there to have to look at them.

...Tried to trace back the source of that graph.. I'm really skeptical ...
--and even though you failed to get the facts but you're what, not letting ignorance get in the way of fondly held opinions? In this information age the only cost of knowledge is the effort required to ask for it.

I did. I did make an effort you big double-posting ape.. :lol:

Look at the 2.47PM post above. Even sleuthed out the Fed Reserve section that you pulled it from -- all by myself without your help. :cool:

BUT -- As I started looking at the breakdowns -- taking out food and energy and concentrating on the period from 1996 (since that's when the off-shoring craze started to matter) -- what I found was...

Consumer goods (durable and not) have been struggling to get back to 2000 or 2001 highs (as the plots in my previous post) -- AND

The absolute numbers they give for consumer electronics, computers, TV/Radio ect seem to indicate that they are considering FOREIGN manufactured goods with Domestic names on them. For instance, the absolute $ Vol for TV/Audio still shows about $1.4bill/yr. Now I know that's suspect since I've been to Best Buy in the past decade and MAYBE Bose is the only name that has appreciable domestic assembly.

And nowhere in their methods section -- do they really explain what is counted thoroughly other than energy and materials. SO -- Is an APPLE product counted as Production Volume? That's the answer I search for.. GE toasters? Hagar slacks?

Without knowing that -- I'm not happy with just accepting all that "good news"... THen we can arm-wrestle over the wonders of all Americans just "servicing" each other.. :eek:

Last edited:
Denning's a moron writing what passes for normal in Forbes. He and is useful idiots lack the focus to decide what they want, the honesty to see what we got, and the intelligence to make it happen.

First, they sort of say America would be better off having most of its workforce in manufacturing instead of services. That's crazy. OK it would be good if Denning the moron quit journalism to go tighten bolts at GM, but the rest of us have better things to do.

Second, they're kind of saying the US can't manufacture what it did in the last century. That's crazy too because even with the slump our outputs higher than anything before 2005-
mfgoutp.png

The worst part is how these clowns use this muddle to push the same ol' big government tax'n'spend crock that's been holding us back for years now. Enough is enough.

Tried to trace back the source of that graph.. I'm really skeptical of what's counted as "gross value of total products". How much of that is Re-imported? What is the real domestic content?

I know productivity has gone up -- but NOT that much. Someone's fudging the definitions and the numbers.. Can you link that graphic back to Commerce or whomever burbed that crap up?? All I get is a community college website in Panama (shhhh -- I won't tell)..

How much of those total products were gasoline?

Forum List

Back