Why all the anti-Christian attacks?

Here's the problem as I see it. General theistic belief is not a problem and if only it existed, the conflict and criticism would probably be restricted to the philosophical circles. However, beliefs tend to be more specific than just a general theism and come with a whole range of doctrines, philosophies, and rituals. This is where the conflict arises, because many faiths have these characteristics:

They are considered to be the foundation of morality.

They have an accompanying mythos concerning the origins of humanity.

The make use of a heirarchical structure which assigns authority to clergy.

They are exclusionary to alternative beliefs.

These characteristics are the roots of most conflict in religion from within and without. The clergical authority aspect means that abuse of power is always a potential result and can bring about conflict with other authority figures such as those in the state if the two are separate. The mythos about origins is almost certain to create some conflict if it does not agree with rational scientific discoveries. Religion as a foundation for morality will cause conflicts when those who draw upon an alternative source for their morality disagree on the correct moral choice to make in a situation. Finally, the exclusionary aspect of most religions creates divisions within the religion and with those outside the religion. This exclusionary principle, or the sense that there is only one correct belief or interpretation also enhances the conflict caused by the other characteristics.

So to answer the question in the title of the thread, many followers of almost any religion believe they are correct in their faith, that all other philosophical interpretations are incorrect and from that conclude that also their moral values are the only correct moral values, that their mythos is the only accurate perception about man's place and purpose, and frequently try to assert authority through clergy or influence of the state to promote their "correct" view of morality and reality.
lmao try chopping all that BS down to fewer words, besides all your vain philosophy will not change the mindset of believer

Joe i dont dault that some religions played politics for money related to wars, however the true GOD fearing Christian would abhor such antics...

no, the true god fearing christian would find a way to rationalize it into plausable like the rest of it's entire history. Do you think that crusade christians were like, "shit, I know this is horrible and we'll be disavowed someday but were gonna do it anyway" or do you think they too figured out how to BELIEVE in the righteousness of their actions?

lmao try chopping all that BS down to fewer words, besides all your vain philosophy will not change the mindset of believer

What are you frightened of?

He that can apprehend and consider vice with all her baits and seeming pleasures, and yet abstain, and yet distinguish, and yet prefer that which is truly better, he is the true wayfaring Christian.

I cannot praise a fugitive and cloistered virtue, unexercised and unbreathed, that never sallies out and sees her adversary but slinks out of the race, where that immortal garland is to be run for, not without dust and heat. Assuredly we bring not innocence into the world, we bring impurity much rather; that which purifies us is trial, and trial is by what is contrary. That virtue therefore which is but a youngling in the contemplation of evil, and knows not the utmost that vice promises to her followers, and rejects it, is but a blank virtue, not a pure; her whiteness is but an excremental whiteness.

Areopagitica - it's worth a read

Try developing an attention span longer than my 6 year old. And this did not mention anything about my philosophy. It provided an answer to the question posed as the topic for this thread.

What are you frightened of?

I could understand fear if I was attempting to take the hammer of reason to the frame of his worldview, but my post didn't mention non-belief, atheism, or any other indication of challenges to the existence of a deity. He seems to be a bit shaky in the faith there...

No seriously big, you should have a read of it. It's available online but I prefer reading my little paper copy - (got it from Leon's Secondhand Bookshop in SLO - I can thoroughly recommend it as a great bookshop).

The background is that in England at the time of Milton's writing his speech (he was a Member of Parliament and apparently in those days big speches were written and distributed to the members). Anyway, Milton was objecting to a bill that sought to license printers and he was opposed to the licensing - ie censorship - of printers. That's what that great piece is about. It asks for tolerance of ideas, that great about not praising a cloistered virtue is the centre of it.

But the hidden irony is that this great man's wonderfully classic knowledge (the title references a court in ancient Athens) was used to defend......Protestant printers! He didn't think Papist (Catholic) printers should have the same freedoms :D

I just love the rich irony but I really do admire the piece, it's an amazing piece of - if this is possible - written rhetoric.

I'm not casting aspersions on your beliefs or the strength of your faith. I am suggesting that you might engage N4 - he doesn't slag people so it will be kept on an intellectual level.

Forum List

Back