Why A Scientist Believes In God

Arabian

Aug 19, 2004
Egypt
Why A Scientist Believes In God​
This article of Mr A. Cressy Morrison, former President of the New York Academy of Sciences,
he says
We are still in the dawn of the scientific age and every increase of light reveals more brightly the handiwork of an intelligent Creator. In the 90 years since Darwin we have made stupendous discoveries; with a spirit of scientific humanity and of faith grounded in knowledge we are approaching even nearer to an awareness of God. For myself I count seven reasons for my faith.

First: By unwavering mathematical law we can prove that our universe was designed and executed by a great engineering Intelligence. Suppose you put ten coins, marked from one to ten, into your pocket and give them a good shuffle. Now try to take them out in sequence from one to ten, pulling back the coin each time and shaking them all again. Mathematically we know that your chance of first drawing number one is one in ten; of drawing one and two in succession, one in 100; of drawing one, two and three in succession, one in a thousand, and so on; your chance of drawing them all, from one to number ten in succession, would reach the unbelievable figure of one chance in ten thousand million. By the same reasoning, so many exacting conditions are necessary for life on earth that they could not possibly exist in proper relationship by chance. The earth rotates on its axis at one thousand miles an hour; if it turned at one hundred miles an hour, our days and nights would be ten times as long as now, and the hot sun would then burn up our vegetation during each long day, while in the long night any surviving sprout would freeze. Again, the sun, source of our life, has a surface temperature of 12,000 degrees Fahrenheit, and our earth is, just far enough away so that this 'eternal fire" warms us just enough and not too much! If the sun gave off only one-half its present radiation, we would freeze, and if it gave half as much more, we would roast. The slant of the earth, tilted at an angle of 23 degrees, gives us our season; if it had not been so tilted, vapors from the ocean would move north and south, piling up for us continents of ice. If our moon was, say, only 50 thousand miles away instead of its actual distance, our tides would be so enormous that twice a day all continents would be submerged; even the mountains would soon be eroded away. If the crust of the earth had been only ten feet thicker, there would be no oxygen without which animal life must die. Had the ocean been a few feet deeper, carbon dioxide and oxygen would have been absorbed and no vegetable life could exist. Or if our atmosphere had been thinner, some of the meteors, now burned in space by the million every day would be striking all parts of the earth, starting fires everywhere. Because of these, and host of other examples, there is not one chance in millions that life on our planet is an accident.

this is only one reason if u wanna know the rest reason
u could found it at this link
http://www.ummah.net/science/viewscfeature.php?scfid=4&scTopicID=2

and if any body need some help or didnt understand some words he could contact me

sobhan allah wa alhamdo lel lah wa la ellah ella allah wa allah akbar

Very well written article. Im not so sure about the propabilities of taking the coins out of the pocket. i dont think he added it right.

Very well written article. Im not so sure about the propabilities of taking the coins out of the pocket. i dont think he added it right.

dear avatar
is that mean that u didn't believe in this reason
any way i dont think that u read the rest of reasons in the link. there are more than one reason if u read them i wanna ur comment on them too
and thanx dearest brothers
salam

None of any of that necessarily proves anything.

The chances of life evolving just the way it did on Earth are statistically infinitesimal? I would agree. Perhaps that's why despite the fact that there are more than a million stars in our galaxy, and more than a million galaxies in the Universe, in 5 billion years there is as yet no proof for extraterrestrial life to be found on this planet.

Second: The resourcefulness of life to accomplish its purpose is a manifestation of all-pervading Intelligence.

In his opinion. Of course were life not as resourceful it wouldn't be here to comment on would it?

Third: Animal wisdom speaks irresistibly of a good Creator who infused instinct into otherwise helpless little creatures.

There's another leap.

Fourth: Man has something more than animal instinct - the power of reason. No other animal has ever left a record of its ability to count ten or even to understand the meaning of ten.

That's wrong.

So unspeakably tiny are these genes that, if all of them responsible for all living people in the world could be put in one place, there would be less than a thimbleful.

Also wrong, assuming the thimble is smaller than a dump truck.

Sixth: By the economy of nature, we are forced to realize that only infinite wisdom could have foreseen and prepared with such astute husbandry.

Yet another fact that could just as easily be attributed to dumb luck.

Seventh: The fact that man can conceive the idea of God is in itself a unique proof.

Well I can conceive of the idea of Santa Claus. Even more I can conceive of the idea of an absence of a god. So where does that leave us?

Zhukov said:
Well I can conceive of the idea of Santa Claus. Even more I can conceive of the idea of an absence of a god. So where does that leave us?

At the begining.

Ten coin draws with ten coins to draw from... 10 to the 10th power = 10,000,000,000. Ten billion (or ten thousand million as he puts it in the article).

-Douglas

<quote><b>First: By unwavering mathematical law we can prove that our universe was designed and executed by a great engineering Intelligence.</b></quote>

No, you can't.

I don't think Earth or life on Earth happned by chance either. Just as gravity is simply fact, so are galaxies, stars, solar systems, and planets. Our Earth 'knows' it is not a gas giant, that I am sure of. It's just a matter of how we interpret awareness and life.

Arabian said:

First: By unwavering mathematical law we can prove that our universe was designed and executed by a great engineering Intelligence. Suppose you put ten coins, marked from one to ten, into your pocket and give them a good shuffle. Now try to take them out in sequence from one to ten, pulling back the coin each time and shaking them all again. Mathematically we know that your chance of first drawing number one is one in ten; of drawing one and two in succession, one in 100; of drawing one, two and three in succession, one in a thousand, and so on; your chance of drawing them all, from one to number ten in succession, would reach the unbelievable figure of one chance in ten thousand million. By the same reasoning, so many exacting conditions are necessary for life on earth that they could not possibly exist in proper relationship by chance. The earth rotates on its axis at one thousand miles an hour; if it turned at one hundred miles an hour, our days and nights would be ten times as long as now, and the hot sun would then burn up our vegetation during each long day, while in the long night any surviving sprout would freeze. Again, the sun, source of our life, has a surface temperature of 12,000 degrees Fahrenheit, and our earth is, just far enough away so that this 'eternal fire" warms us just enough and not too much! If the sun gave off only one-half its present radiation, we would freeze, and if it gave half as much more, we would roast. The slant of the earth, tilted at an angle of 23 degrees, gives us our season; if it had not been so tilted, vapors from the ocean would move north and south, piling up for us continents of ice. If our moon was, say, only 50 thousand miles away instead of its actual distance, our tides would be so enormous that twice a day all continents would be submerged; even the mountains would soon be eroded away. If the crust of the earth had been only ten feet thicker, there would be no oxygen without which animal life must die. Had the ocean been a few feet deeper, carbon dioxide and oxygen would have been absorbed and no vegetable life could exist. Or if our atmosphere had been thinner, some of the meteors, now burned in space by the million every day would be striking all parts of the earth, starting fires everywhere. Because of these, and host of other examples, there is not one chance in millions that life on our planet is an accident.​

His logic doesn't follow for me: life developed on this planet AFTER all of the processes he described. Life *as we know it* developed BECAUSE of the circumstances. His methodology assumes an infinite number of variables which had to allign EXACTLY as they did to produce life. The fact is, the infinite variables DID allign, and life developed accordingly. All of these variables produced a specific KIND of carbon-based life, life which developed according to the niche which presented the opporunity. There are so many kinds of life possible that we have not even conceived of which could have developed under different circumstances. Gaseous life, for instance, is conceivable, if not probable. What about evidence for life on Mars? We know there was water on Mars? What are the odds that liquid water ever existed on another planet? Well, 2 planets IN OUR SOLAR system shows just compatible life is with any number of allignments of these variables.​

Either you believe that the universe is one colossal coincidence or you see that there is some sort of intelligent guiding force behind it all. Coincidence is perhaps the rarest of all occurences.

popefumanchu said:
Either you believe that the universe is one colossal coincidence or you see that there is some sort of intelligent guiding force behind it all.

No, it would be a coincidence if it happened twice.

What we have is just a fortunate series of events, at least as far as we are concerned. Any or all of which could just as easily never come to pass.

gop_jeff said:
God.

Seriously, though, I don't think you can chalk up the existence of life to chance and "evolution." Life is way too complex to have spontaneously arisen from mud and lightning.

No its not.

It is improbable that life sprang up "from mud and lightning" but it is possible.
people and animals are (at least somewhat) the product of their environment.

In conclusion we have no idea how life came to this planet. Could it have been aliens, sure why not. Could it have been God, absolutely. As the only one with any objective evidence though, evolution is what is taught in our schools.

The only ways were going to find out are A) time travel, and B) devine intervention. Neither of which seems as likely as "from mud and lightning".

Since nobody actually knows the solution can only be :gives:

Forum List

Back