Why a moritorium?

And yet none of the rigs have been shut down.

IMO, they should be.

You still can't grasp what is going on, Ravi. There are 3800 rigs in the gulf run by countries all over the world. Only ours is running into red tape from this administration. This has been the only accident since WWII, I think your letting your idealogy get in the way of common sense.
Having said that, this is a disaster, but it was compounded on different levels with BP and our government.

Last edited:
Heard something interesting tonight on this subject that I have not yet been able to confirm.

George Soros as you all know is a billionaire and provides Millions to the left. It seems his Left wing think tank began pressuring Obama to put a moratorium in place about 8 days before he did.

Why is that interesting. Well I also heard that the rigs that have to shut down will not just sit idle, they will simply contract out to another country most likely Brazil and keep right on working. It also seems that Soros just so happens to own a large share of the Brazilian Oil Company that stands to benefit from it.

Hmm Like I said I have yet to confirm these assertions.

LOL. Have you ever confirmed any of your wingnut assertations?:eusa_whistle:

IMO, they should be.

You still can't grasp what is going on, Ravi. There are 3800 rigs in the gulf run by countries all over the world. Only ours is running into red tape from this administration. This has been the only accident since WWII, I think your letting your idealogy get in the way of coomon sense.
Having said that, this is a disaster, but it was compounded on different levels with BP and our government.

Apparently you, as usual, haven't a clue. This is the only Gulf we have.

It was reported that BP was going to put up a hundred million for laid off oil workers during this six month moratorium. I don't think they should do this because they didn't create this moratorium. So why should they have to foot the bill? In my opinion this moratorium is the among the dumbest things Obama has done.

They created the situation that led to the moratorium. And it was a very good political move. Glad to see you wingnuts fighting the working man getting reimbursed for the damage done to their livihoods. People like you and Barton are going to make it much easier to get us off the oil tit.

Heard something interesting tonight on this subject that I have not yet been able to confirm.

George Soros as you all know is a billionaire and provides Millions to the left. It seems his Left wing think tank began pressuring Obama to put a moratorium in place about 8 days before he did.

Why is that interesting. Well I also heard that the rigs that have to shut down will not just sit idle, they will simply contract out to another country most likely Brazil and keep right on working. It also seems that Soros just so happens to own a large share of the Brazilian Oil Company that stands to benefit from it.

Looks like we have a hand in the cookie jar also.

The U.S. is going to lend billions of dollars to Brazil's state-owned oil company, Petrobras, to finance exploration of the huge offshore discovery in Brazil's Tupi oil field in the Santos Basin near Rio de Janeiro. Brazil's planning minister confirmed that White House National Security Adviser James Jones met this month with Brazilian officials to talk about the loan.

The U.S. Export-Import Bank tells us it has issued a "preliminary commitment" letter to Petrobras in the amount of $2 billion and has discussed with Brazil the possibility of increasing that amount. Ex-Im Bank says it has not decided whether the money will come in the form of a direct loan or loan guarantees. Either way, this corporate foreign aid may strike some readers as odd, given that the U.S. Treasury seems desperate for cash and Petrobras is one of the largest corporations in the Americas.
President Obama Finances Offshore Drilling in Brazil - WSJ.com

It was reported that BP was going to put up a hundred million for laid off oil workers during this six month moratorium. I don't think they should do this because they didn't create this moratorium. So why should they have to foot the bill? In my opinion this moratorium is the among the dumbest things Obama has done.

They created the situation that led to the moratorium. And it was a very good political move. Glad to see you wingnuts fighting the working man getting reimbursed for the damage done to their livihoods. People like you and Barton are going to make it much easier to get us off the oil tit.

So thousands are laid off, and another foreign company steps in and takes over the operation. Yeah, the moratorium is another great idea from this administration. :lol:

IMO, they should be.

You still can't grasp what is going on, Ravi. There are 3800 rigs in the gulf run by countries all over the world. Only ours is running into red tape from this administration. This has been the only accident since WWII, I think your letting your idealogy get in the way of coomon sense.

Nothing is going to slow down in the gulf, roxie, nothing at all, so please show me where I don't have a clue.

LOL. Have you ever confirmed any of your wingnut assertations?:eusa_whistle:

I have put a couple of links up in this thread to "confirm". :lol:

Nothing is going to slow down in the gulf, roxie, nothing at all, so please show me where I don't have a clue.

Really? So why don't you tell that to the shrimpers, and the fellows with the oyster beds, Barton Jr.?

IMO, they should be.

You still can't grasp what is going on, Ravi. There are 3800 rigs in the gulf run by countries all over the world. Only ours is running into red tape from this administration. This has been the only accident since WWII, I think your letting your idealogy get in the way of common sense.
Untrue. Not sure where you are getting your information but it is incorrect.

Really? So why don't you tell that to the shrimpers, and the fellows with the oyster beds, Barton Jr.?

Are you off your meds again, roxie?
Are YOU saying that all the rigs are going to be shut down? IS THAT WHAT YOUR SAYING???? :eusa_liar:

I think there's something to that as well as the notion he is now using it to further the green energy agenda...I got really annoyed about that during his speech last night...BUT I think the moratorium is appropriate considering the fact this catastrophe has proven the current drilling regulations to be insufficient for such unprecedented depths.

I think we need to keep in mind that at least 33 deep water rigs are and have been doing this for some time. This is the first accident so far. While I see the point of a temporary moratorium I think you need to consider all the factors. Including the thousands of people in the oil ind and their suppliers who are out of work as a result of it.

While were talking about this I thought I would mention a fact I am sure many of you have heard already. Shorty before this accident in the gulf, the Obama Admin gave this particular Rig an award for safety. Add that fact to the terribly slow and inept response so far and you have a horrid failure on Obamas fault at the very least.

For gods sake its been 8 weeks and he is just now meeting with the CEO of BP? Are you kidding me? Believe me when I say its much easier for BP to lie and mislead in press releases than it will be for the CEO to look into POTUS's eyes and lie.

Im not much of a palin fan but she has this one right. You are dealing with oil companies, they always lie, Never leave it to paper communication. Look into their eyes when you talk to them.

on a side note I see someone claiming the Moratorium is only on new rigs and the 33 out there now are still drilling. That is false. As part of the Moratorium the existing permits on the 33 rigs were pulled for review by the Feds. During such a review the rigs are not allowed to continue drilling. Please keep the facts straight we get enough misinformation about this spill already. So much Hotels are going empty all over the gulf on beaches that have not been effected yet because the press is all doom and gloom and keeps showing a graphic with 25% of the northern golf covered in oil, when the fact is the oils is spread out in that area in vast streaks separated by clear water, and their graphic shows beaches from Galveston to Florida covered when they too are only effected in spots and clean in others. Millions of dollars are being lost due to negligent reporting by the press and scare tactics by the administration. All in the name of scaring you all into supporting cap and tax and further demonizing the use of oil at all.

No, you're wrong and hysterically wrong. The current deep water rigs are still going at it.

You should hang out on the conspiracy theory threads. Either that or come back tomorrow and whine about how Obama isn't doing enough...you'll be just like the other rightwingloons.

Right, the article I posted cited 600 deep water wells still in operation and 33 who were poised to begin but were prohibited by the temporary moratorium.

>>

What counts as "deep-water" drilling, and how much of it is there?

For purposes of the moratorium, the federal government classifies any drilling in depths beyond 500 feet as "deep." By that definition, there are about 600 deep-water wells in the Gulf of Mexico.

They produce about 80% of the oil and 45% of the natural gas coming from the gulf, according to the Louisiana Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Assn., an industry group. As a share of total U.S. oil use, however, the deep wells' contribution is just a few drops in the bucket.

What are the risks of drilling at those depths?

As the Deepwater Horizon disaster has shown, the biggest one is access. The water pressure so far below the surface makes it impossible for human divers to reach. So if a well blows out or experiences some other calamity, responders must use remote-controlled robots to try to fix it.

It's increasingly clear that oil companies and the federal government added to the risks of a catastrophic spill by not devising detailed, adequate plans to plug a blowout in deep water — essentially leaving them to invent response strategies.

Will the federal moratorium stop all deep-water drilling for now?

The moratorium applies only to new wells. Current deep-water production in previously drilled wells will continue. But the government action will essentially freeze 33 deep-water rigs in the gulf that were poised to drill. The Louisiana industry group reports that each of those rigs employs 90 to 140 people at any given time, which means between 2,970 and 4,620 jobs are directly affected by the moratorium.

A closer look at deep-water drilling - Los Angeles Times

BP over a barrel as oil leak estimate hits 60k | Process Engineering | The Engineer

These numbers are from 2006 and include all wells not just deep water wells.

Summary

Description Gulf Coast Platforms.jpg

Map of the northern Gulf of Mexico showing the nearly 4,000 active oil and gas platforms.

Date

11 July 2006(2006-07-11)

Source

Oil and Gas Exploration on the NOAA Ocean Explorer site

Author

Ocean Explorer Webmaster

File:Gulf Coast Platforms.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The caption reads:
"NOAA map of the 3,858 oil and gas platforms extant in the Gulf
of Mexico in 2006"

THREE THOUSAND, eight hundred fifty-eight oil and gas platforms, as
of four years ago.

One of the most hair-raising illustrations I've ever seen. You
might expect to see separate bright spots that indicate where the oil-
drilling rigs are on the U.S. Gulf Coast.

Instead, what is shown is a brilliant ring of spots so crammed
together that only a few can be separated into individual operations.

NOAA map of the 3,858 oil and gas platforms extant in the Gulf of Mexico in 2006 - soc.retirement | Google Groups

These numbers are from 2006 and include all wells not just deep water wells.

Summary

Description Gulf Coast Platforms.jpg

Map of the northern Gulf of Mexico showing the nearly 4,000 active oil and gas platforms.

Date

11 July 2006(2006-07-11)

Source

Oil and Gas Exploration on the NOAA Ocean Explorer site

Author

Ocean Explorer Webmaster

File:Gulf Coast Platforms.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The caption reads:
"NOAA map of the 3,858 oil and gas platforms extant in the Gulf
of Mexico in 2006"

THREE THOUSAND, eight hundred fifty-eight oil and gas platforms, as
of four years ago.

One of the most hair-raising illustrations I've ever seen. You
might expect to see separate bright spots that indicate where the oil-
drilling rigs are on the U.S. Gulf Coast.

Instead, what is shown is a brilliant ring of spots so crammed
together that only a few can be separated into individual operations.

NOAA map of the 3,858 oil and gas platforms extant in the Gulf of Mexico in 2006 - soc.retirement | Google Groups

Prior to this incident I didn't realize just how many wells existed in that area...Makes me wonder about possibly relieving the pressure sooner than later if some existing wells might already be half way there? :eusa_think:

Forum List

Back