Whose Fault Is The "Muslim Question" About BHO?

i don't think obama's very religious at all. i think he believes most americans use their religious beliefs as a crutch. if obama worships anything, it's the image he sees in the mirror every morning.

If you take "above,"in the above, to mean chest, you know what I'm sayin? I am a weird fellow, nobody denied that.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
:eusa_eh:

btw, my :cuckoo: in the other post was not directed at you. :)

lol OHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I guess I can ditch my plans to IP search you, hunt you down, take my white glove off and smash you cheek and run away then. Carry on!

*whew* i feel so much better. :thup:

Are the people that were queried by Pew ignorant, as so many want to argue now? I don't think so. The question of his religion choice controversy, was of his own making. Personally, I don't think he's religious, at all. Not Christian, not Muslim.

Obama has himself to blame for Muslim problem | Washington Examiner

...In December 2007, with the Iowa caucuses approaching, former Democratic Sen. Bob Kerrey, a Hillary Clinton supporter, said of Obama, “I like the fact that his name is Barack Hussein Obama, and that his father was a Muslim and that his paternal grandmother is a Muslim. There’s a billion people on the planet that are Muslims, and I think that experience is a big deal.” Kerrey’s remarks caused an uproar — one TV commentator wondered whether they were “poisoning the well” — and Kerrey later apologized.

Eighteen months later, when President Obama traveled to Cairo for a long-awaited speech to the Muslim world, the White House was saying, and the press was reporting, the same thing Kerrey had to apologize for. “President Obama is now embracing his Muslim roots,” ABC News’ “Nightline” announced. “President Obama’s speech … was laced with references to the Quran and his Muslim roots,” said USA Today. “Obama touched on his own Muslim roots,” reported the Associated Press...

morning annie

I think there may be some truth in what you say.

I think it may also be true about hillary.

both have professed to be religious/christian but I wonder if they did it for political reasons; KNOWING that an avowed atheist would probably NEVER get elected to president...?

I, personally, would never claim to be religous (since I'm an atheist)

I would feel like I was lying to people.....

I would rather just tell them the truth

By Muslim law, he should be a Muslim, as his father was.

By claiming he's not, he essentially puts a big bull's eye on his back. He's considered an apostate, which is the lowest of the low in Islam. Apostasy is the only crime for which the punishment (death) can't be mitigated.

His father declared himself an atheist at a young age, and also he wasn't murdered by Muslims, and Barack's not bound by Muslim law, he's an American.

You're an idiot.

Muslim law supercedes any other law.

And if his father declared himself an atheist, he, too was an apostate.

This is America. We're allowed to choose our own faith.

I really have to believe that this is another one of those issues-thats-really-a-non-issue.

Obama iz muslin: one of the lamer ad-homs out there. It seems like just another tactic to make the man into an UnAmerican.

I think something like fifty-percent of the country--in a poll--thought Washington DC was in Washington state. i have to go look it up now. This country has plenty of stupid morans, and this is just another poll that shows it.

I'm not thrilled with a lot of things Obama's done, but for me personally I have no reason to disbelieve his own words on something so private and personal as his faith.

Then listen to his own words...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCAffMSWSzY]YouTube - Obama Admits He Is A Muslim[/ame]

I really have to believe that this is another one of those issues-thats-really-a-non-issue.

Obama iz muslin: one of the lamer ad-homs out there. It seems like just another tactic to make the man into an UnAmerican.

I think something like fifty-percent of the country--in a poll--thought Washington DC was in Washington state. i have to go look it up now. This country has plenty of stupid morans, and this is just another poll that shows it.

this isn't the one i was thinking of, but it's got the same vibe.

Poll: Americans pretty clueless about politics, world | Raw Story

demonRats are stupid rats, I bet they never bothered to look at rev. wright's church, it's perversion of "christian" and it's roots in marxism. Just too damn lazy and stupid.

If you are a black politician serving in a predominantly black community, the best way to connect to your constituents is to attend a predominantly black church.

Black Churches are more than just places to worship god.They are meeting places, places to talk about black issues, the place to network with the black community. Black Churches were at the forefront of the Civil Rights movement. That is why they were bombed so often.

I don't happen to believe that Obama is particularly religious. Like many men, he attended Church where his wife attended. I also doubt that Presidents Nixon, Reagan, George HW Bush or Clinton were particularly religious either. But as president, you have to get your churchgoing ticket punched

I think you're right. All we have to go by is what we now of their actions, but Nixon for one was a self-professed Quaker who hardly lived up to the tenets of that belief system. Reagan professed Christianity but relied on New Age practices in the White House including the infamous astrology sessions. Clinton didn't exactly live his life by Southern Baptist teachings. I never paid much attention, what sect did GHWB profess? It didn't seem to be as big an issue with him.

The President could be any religion or none at all for all I care. He's not a spiritual leader, that's between him and his deity or lack thereof. But if Obama isn't particularly devout it's certainly not the first time religion has been given lip service from the Oval Office.

Looks like people missed this where obama is admitting with his own lips he's a muslim...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCAffMSWSzY]YouTube - Obama Admits He Is A Muslim[/ame]

If you are a black politician serving in a predominantly black community, the best way to connect to your constituents is to attend a predominantly black church.

Black Churches are more than just places to worship god.They are meeting places, places to talk about black issues, the place to network with the black community. Black Churches were at the forefront of the Civil Rights movement. That is why they were bombed so often.

I don't happen to believe that Obama is particularly religious. Like many men, he attended Church where his wife attended. I also doubt that Presidents Nixon, Reagan, George HW Bush or Clinton were particularly religious either. But as president, you have to get your churchgoing ticket punched

I think you're right. All we have to go by is what we now of their actions, but Nixon for one was a self-professed Quaker who hardly lived up to the tenets of that belief system. Reagan professed Christianity but relied on New Age practices in the White House including the infamous astrology sessions. Clinton didn't exactly live his life by Southern Baptist teachings. I never paid much attention, what sect did GHWB profess? It didn't seem to be as big an issue with him.

The President could be any religion or none at all for all I care. He's not a spiritual leader, that's between him and his deity or lack thereof. But if Obama isn't particularly devout it's certainly not the first time religion has been given lip service from the Oval Office.

that's something about politics i've never really understood. why does a politician's religion matter when it comes to their job?

case in point is, whenever Romney comes up in a discussion someone says he's not electable enough because he's mormon--even though he's one of the few goopers that has a chance at my vote.

i think the importance of a politician's religious views is overplayed during the election cycle's because, in a way, it's like a pre-packaged set of beliefs. as if there couldn't be a pro-life atheist, or something.

that's something about politics i've never really understood. why does a politician's religion matter when it comes to their job?

case in point is, whenever Romney comes up in a discussion someone says he's not electable enough because he's mormon--even though he's one of the few goopers that has a chance at my vote.

i think the importance of a politician's religious views is overplayed during the election cycle's because, in a way, it's like a pre-packaged set of beliefs. as if there couldn't be a pro-life atheist, or something.

It's more than that, I think. Most people (I can't remember the number and I'm too lazy to look) in this country identify with a religion, whether they're particularly devout or not. I think many of them believe without religion there are no personal values, and without values what kind of leader would that person be? Not just stances on issues, but a certain strength of character.

It's hogwash, of course. Real character comes from within, not where your butt sits on Sunday morning. Plenty of so-called religious people have proven that. But the perception is there, so pols play the game. It doesn't have to make sense, it just is.

I disagree that it was of his own making, that was Hillary who started the rumors and innuendo circulating. But I can see how in some people's eyes his words and actions haven't helped. It depends how you view Muslims, really. And whether you have the "with us or against us" mentality.

I'm not thrilled with a lot of things Obama's done, but for me personally I have no reason to disbelieve his own words on something so private and personal as his faith. For a bunch of people who often try to claim we know nothing about him, the people who are sure he's a Muslim seem to think they know a hell of a lot.

What are his own words about his faith?

"I believe that there are many paths to the same place, and that is a belief that there is a higher power, a belief that we are connected as a people," (Interview with Cathleen Falsani, The Chicago Sun-Times, March 27, 2004).

I think that directly contradicts Jesus' own words, and it leads me to believe he doesn't understand what being a Christian is. The additional fact that he managed to sleep through 20 years worth of Liberation theology tells me that he is not even a Christian by those, extremely loose, standards.

I disagree that it was of his own making, that was Hillary who started the rumors and innuendo circulating. But I can see how in some people's eyes his words and actions haven't helped. It depends how you view Muslims, really. And whether you have the "with us or against us" mentality.

I'm not thrilled with a lot of things Obama's done, but for me personally I have no reason to disbelieve his own words on something so private and personal as his faith. For a bunch of people who often try to claim we know nothing about him, the people who are sure he's a Muslim seem to think they know a hell of a lot.

What are his own words about his faith?

"I believe that there are many paths to the same place, and that is a belief that there is a higher power, a belief that we are connected as a people," (Interview with Cathleen Falsani, The Chicago Sun-Times, March 27, 2004).

I think that directly contradicts Jesus' own words, and it leads me to believe he doesn't understand what being a Christian is. The additional fact that he managed to sleep through 20 years worth of Liberation theology tells me that he is not even a Christian by those, extremely loose, standards.

I think that quote is completely meaningless without context, and also that it's not my place to judge ANY person's faith or lack thereof. It's simply none of my damn business.

He's not my minister, he's my president. I don't exactly want to hear him preach from the Oval Office. Beyond that, what does it really matter? The only President who shared my religious views left the White House in disgrace. The Presidents I most admire were mostly secular, Deists or belonged to some sect of Christianity I don't agree with. So what?

Last edited:
Are the people that were queried by Pew ignorant, as so many want to argue now? I don't think so. The question of his religion choice controversy, was of his own making. Personally, I don't think he's religious, at all. Not Christian, not Muslim.

Obama has himself to blame for Muslim problem | Washington Examiner

...In December 2007, with the Iowa caucuses approaching, former Democratic Sen. Bob Kerrey, a Hillary Clinton supporter, said of Obama, “I like the fact that his name is Barack Hussein Obama, and that his father was a Muslim and that his paternal grandmother is a Muslim. There’s a billion people on the planet that are Muslims, and I think that experience is a big deal.” Kerrey’s remarks caused an uproar — one TV commentator wondered whether they were “poisoning the well” — and Kerrey later apologized.

Eighteen months later, when President Obama traveled to Cairo for a long-awaited speech to the Muslim world, the White House was saying, and the press was reporting, the same thing Kerrey had to apologize for. “President Obama is now embracing his Muslim roots,” ABC News’ “Nightline” announced. “President Obama’s speech … was laced with references to the Quran and his Muslim roots,” said USA Today. “Obama touched on his own Muslim roots,” reported the Associated Press...

The problem with blaming Hillary is the GOP smear machine was already implying Obama was a Muslim and throwing his middle name around a full year BEFORE Kerrey said anything. In fact, Kerrey made his statement to counter the year long GOP smear machine's rumors. The GOP strategy was to smear both Dem candidates at the same time by claiming the GOP Muslim smear came from Hillary.

Barack Hussein Obama: Once a Muslim, Always A Muslim | Debbie Schlussel
December 18, 2006, - 4:01 pm
Many months ago, readers began asking me whether Barack Obama is Muslim. Since he identifies as a Christian, I said, “no,” and responded that he was not raised by his Kenyan father.
But, then, I decided to look further into Obama’s background. His full name–as by now you have probably heard–is Barack Hussein Obama, Jr. Hussein is a Muslim name, which comes from the name of Ali’s son–Hussein Ibn Ali. And Obama is named after his late Kenyan father, the late Barack Hussein Obama, Sr., apparently a Muslim.
And while Obama may not identify as a Muslim, that’s not how the Arab and Muslim Streets see it. In Arab culture and under Islamic law, if your father is a Muslim, so are you. And once a Muslim, always a Muslim. You cannot go back. In Islamic eyes, Obama is certainly a Muslim. He may think he’s a Christian, but they do not.

Forum List

Back