Whose Fault Is It?

Why was Judge Roll and several others killed? Why is Congressman Giffords fighting for her life tonight?

We won't know until they interrogate the shooter and publicize the results. Mebbe it was mental illness and nothing could have prevented this.

But mebbe it was a sick interpretation of the vitriol most all of us have been guilty of at one time or another. Each of us at least has allowed a candidate we support to use such imagery and not spoken up against it.

I think we should all, myself included, guard our tongues a bit more. No more wishing anyone else dead....that's a goofy way of expressing outrage and frustration anyway. No more allowing our candidates to use a gun sight as part of their imagery.

I hope to God all who have survived the shooting in Arizona thus far make full recoveries....and I am saddened by the loss of those who died, especially the 9 year old. Let us all commit to trying harder to remain somewhat civil.

A well stated, beautiful post Madeline. May I add something by a favorite person of mine? I "try" to live by it myself:

......Keep your thoughts positive, because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive, because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive, because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive, because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive, because your values become your destiny. — Mahatma Gandhi

I dun think any of us needs to surrender our civil rights. But before any action is a thought....when we use violence as a metaphor (and I accept my own guilt here) we create an atmosphere where saying such things seems acceptable and common.

To that extent, I think most all of us share some guilt for what happened today. Not legal liability, no....something more along the lines of helping to create wishes that should not see the light of day.

I imagine I'll slip up when anger and frustration overtake me, or I am tired, or lazy....I hope to be reminded of this thread then.

Tell me, guys. Would any of you object if Palin and other public figures made a pledge to never again use violence in her speech or as an image?

It is the fault of one person and only person - the man who pulled the trigger. We all have free will. He chose to exercise his by murdering and injuring others. There is no one else to blame, period.

It is the fault of one person and only person - the man who pulled the trigger. We all have free will. He chose to exercise his by murdering and injuring others. There is no one else to blame, period.

I understand those of you who feel this way. I'm not talking about direct responsibility.....but if we allow such speech to pass without comment or criticism, if we accept violent images as a sane way to advance a political discussion, we have helped form a wish or thought for the listeners.

Some of whom may take it further. I, for one, would like that not to happen again.

BTW, they think there was a second shooter. It'll be terrible, finding out what this was about for them.

Actually the shooter was a drug head, not a crazy so to speak.
What is a "drug head?" Is that anything like an alcoholic? I ask that because alcohol is responsible for the vast majority of violent behavior.

Or are you saying that people who use other drugs are inclined to do things like spontaneously shoot up a political rally and kill a lot of people including a 9 year old girl? Because if that were so, considering how many people use other drugs the corpses would be stacked six high in front of every political clubhouse in America.

Tell me, guys. Would any of you object if Palin and other public figures made a pledge to never again use violence in her speech or as an image?

What specifically are you referencing to with Palin?
a graphic she had on her facebook page targeting 20 congressional democrats for election defeat
this is the spin to make it Sarah Palin's fault

its sickening because the SHOOTER is the one at fault

a graphic she had on her facebook page targeting 20 congressional democrats for election defeat

Palin is a major offender, Divey, but not the only one. Does it help civilize the debate when Olbermann designates someone "The Worst Person In The World"?

There's enough blame to go around.

I dun think any of us needs to surrender our civil rights. But before any action is a thought....when we use violence as a metaphor (and I accept my own guilt here) we create an atmosphere where saying such things seems acceptable and common.

To that extent, I think most all of us share some guilt for what happened today. Not legal liability, no....something more along the lines of helping to create wishes that should not see the light of day.

I imagine I'll slip up when anger and frustration overtake me, or I am tired, or lazy....I hope to be reminded of this thread then.

Dive, if Maddie seriously believes the ad is somehow the root of this, it only proves how desperate and despicable our media has become, and how easy it is to lead the foolish to the slaughter....

I found the Huff Post trying to make this connection mid afternoon yesterday and have since seen Olbermann try and make the same. They and anyone else trying to assimilate this is filled with pure evil and hate, they are just as bad as the shooter, if not worse. Hell he is truly ill, what excuse do they have?

Sad, truly sad.....

Dive, if Maddie seriously believes the ad is somehow the root of this, it only proves how desperate and despicable our media has become, and how easy it is to lead the foolish to the slaughter....

I found the Huff Post trying to make this connection mid afternoon yesterday and have since seen Olbermann try and make the same. They and anyone else trying to assimilate this is filled with pure evil and hate, they are just as bad as the shooter, if not worse. Hell he is truly ill, what excuse do they have?

Sad, truly sad.....

Not a direct connection, GWV5903. And I dun think Palin is any more responsible than many others in public life, though her imagery is easier to spot. I think we have allowed our discourse to become riddled with violent references, to become extreme and uncivil. There's a violent subtext to Obama claiming we need to work against "our enemies" in the Republican Party, too. No matter who you feel best represents your POV, the fact is we've allowed an echo of violence in our political debate that should not be there.

In such an atmosphere, a disturbed person may find it easier to form thoughts of violence. As for blame, I think we all have a portion, or at least most of us.

Palin is a major offender, Divey, but not the only one. Does it help civilize the debate when Olbermann designates someone "The Worst Person In The World"?

Maddie, you have made it clear you do not like her, and to each their own, no big deal....

But you don't really believe the ad and the shooting have a connection, do you?

funny, how come you are blaming people that had NOTHING to do with it, just like TneverM is doing, and i'm placing the blame where it belongs, the actual perpetrator of the crime, the SHOOTER

Sad, truly sad.....

Not a direct connection, GWV5903. And I dun think Palin is any more responsible than many others in public life, though her imagery is easier to spot. I think we have allowed our discourse to become riddled with violent references, to become extreme and uncivil. There's a violent subtext to Obama claiming we need to work against "our enemies" in the Republican Party, too. No matter who you feel best represents your POV, the fact is we've allowed an echo of violence in our political debate that should not be there.

In such an atmosphere, a disturbed person may find it easier to form thoughts of violence. As for blame, I think we all have a portion, or at least most of us.

Spiritually the world is at war, it always has been, but we have choices, the insanity defense is over used....

This is how I see things: an argument has grown heated and many of us, including me, are guilty of raising the volume. Shouting, using bad language, attacking the motives of those who disagree, etc. We add to the panic and anxiety of our readers at times.

In THAT way, I think we all share some blame, and personally, I hope to do better.

Meanwhile, if the shooter really is mentally ill, I guess the law will cope. Insanity defenses are very rare, and even more rarely successful....and I would no more agree to spend time in a criminal forensic hospital than in Hell.

I am appalled at how this tragedy is being politicized and blamed on anyone but the shooter.

I've looked at several threads.....

There are some members here, and I am not going to mention names, that need to just grow up and see this for what it is. A tragedy of the greatest proportions.... I mean holy crap people, a 9 yr old little girl was shot and killed... I have a daughter that age.

This was an act of a deranged idiot and NOTHING MORE.

I have been out in my garage working on my trucks all day listening to the radio and just heard about this in passing. I pull up just check out whats up on USMB (my favorite lil pass time) and what do I see, but this stupidity....

Screw this..... Im going to bed. :wtf:

This is how I see things: an argument has grown heated and many of us, including me, are guilty of raising the volume. Shouting, using bad language, attacking the motives of those who disagree, etc. We add to the panic and anxiety of our readers at times.

In THAT way, I think we all share some blame, and personally, I hope to do better.

Meanwhile, if the shooter really is mentally ill, I guess the law will cope. Insanity defenses are very rare, and even more rarely successful....and I would no more agree to spend time in a criminal forensic hospital than in Hell.

Madeline Theres only one person that is to blame and that is JARED LOUGHNER no one else is to be blamed.

Forum List

Back