Whose Country Is This Anyway?

Shaggy said:
Its thanks to the Mexican Army and the battle of Pueblo on cinco de mayo that the union army defeated the confederacy, ending the civil war.

Might wanna rethink bad mouthing that holiday, considering it helped shape the United States.

http://www.vivacincodemayo.org/history.htm

A factor perhaps, but you make it sound like the CSA packed their stuff and went home after that battle, lol.

And yes I will badmouth that holiday, since the loss of the CSA did not shape the USA for the better.

Shaggy said:
Its thanks to the Mexican Army and the battle of Pueblo on cinco de mayo that the union army defeated the confederacy, ending the civil war.

Might wanna rethink bad mouthing that holiday, considering it helped shape the United States.

You mean that the Mexican victory at Cinco de Mayo may have been a contributing factor to the end of states' rights for the past 150 years and quite possibly indefinitely? Wow, now I have yet ANOTHER reason to hate said holiday. I'm *this* close to getting a Mexican flag to burn and it's taking some restraint to keep from using racial slurs.

Shaggy said:
rationalization? Where did you guys go to school? This is basic high school history folks. The French HATED the US. They were hell bent on making sure the Confederacy prevailed in the Civil War. They were going to use Mexico as the base to reinforce the southern forces. Get your knowledge up people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Puebla

If you base your opinions on what you read at Wikipedia, I'd say find a different source. Wikipedia can be edited by any Tom, Dick, or Harry that comes along.

Jimmyeatworld said:
If you base your opinions on what you read at Wikipedia, I'd say find a different source. Wikipedia can be edited by any Tom, Dick, or Harry that comes along.

20051216h.jpg

Shaggy said:

the United States civil war with cinco de mayo. Absolute, unadulterated bullshit. The Union had already warned European governments when the conflict broke out that they should be wary of supporting the Confedaracy. i.e. We will deal with the confederates and then we will deal with any that aided them. The Confederacy itself attempted to blackmail Britain and other European powers with a boycott of Southern cotton. The King Cotton foreign policy of the Confederacy led to the British importation of cotton from India...Madras cotton ring a bell? Anyway what the author of the article stated was bullshit. France was in no position to assist the Confederacy to any great degree.

ThomasPaine said:
the United States civil war with cinco de mayo. Absolute, unadulterated bullshit. The Union had already warned European governments when the conflict broke out that they should be wary of supporting the Confedaracy. i.e. We will deal with the confederates and then we will deal with any that aided them. The Confederacy itself attempted to blackmail Britain and other European powers with a boycott of Southern cotton. The King Cotton foreign policy of the Confederacy led to the British importation of cotton from India...Madras cotton ring a bell? Anyway what the author of the article stated was bullshit. France was in no position to assist the Confederacy to any great degree.

Actually, the CSA did not attempt to blackmail Britain. They were trying to get Britain to recognize their legitimacy and bring them in as allies.

The fact the US was blockading Southern ports and cutting off all cotton exports to Europe WAS a factor, but South pointed at the North as being the problem. The South could not very well cut off from Europe Britain what they already could not export.

But cinco de mayo STILL didn't have shit to do with it. It's an excuse to run amock in the streets and party around here and I doubt most of the partyers have even a clue why.

archangel said:
The French supported us during the War of 1812..."Battle of New Orleans" Andy Jackson won the war not the French...and again the Civil War was won through attrition...not Taco Bell!

Go back to school homey. The Battle of New Orleans occured after the Peace of Ghent. The war was over. President Jackson didn't win the war, he won respect for a young nation.

Shaggy said:
rationalization? Where did you guys go to school? This is basic high school history folks. The French HATED the US. They were hell bent on making sure the Confederacy prevailed in the Civil War. They were going to use Mexico as the base to reinforce the southern forces. Get your knowledge up people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Puebla

Get your knowledge from somewhere other than Wikipedia. As a History major, I find your conclusions rather humorous. The Battle of Puebla was in 1862. France was trying to collect on debts, since Mexico stopped making payments. The invasion's objective was to install Maximillan as ruler of Mexico. How the hell did this have anything to do with the Union winning the war?

onthefence said:
Go back to school homey. The Battle of New Orleans occured after the Peace of Ghent. The war was over. President Jackson didn't win the war, he won respect for a young nation.

I suppose since the "Peace of Ghent" decided the outcome of the war(in your opinion)...then the "Battle Of New Orleans" was just out of bordom...something to do on a Saturday Night eh! :eek:

archangel said:
I suppose since the "Peace of Ghent" decided the outcome of the war(in your opinion)...then the "Battle Of New Orleans" was just out of bordom...something to do on a Saturday Night eh! :eek:

It is not opinion that the Peace of Ghent ended the war. It is historical fact. The only reason the Battle of New Orleans took place, was that General Jackson had not yet recieved word of the truce. The Battle of New Orleans is not important because it "won" the war. It is important because a ragtag army defeated the Imperial British Army and gained the respect of the world. Respect for not only the United States, but for the republican form of government. Again this is not my opinion, but the collective opinion of the entire History Department at the University of Alabama and the majority of higher learning institutions around the country.

More to the subject of this thread.

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.
>
> "In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes
>here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he
>shall be treated on an exact equality with e! very one else, for it is an
>outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or
>birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in
>every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no
>divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something
>else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the
>American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the
>English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
>loyalty to the American people."