Who's the best runningback in NFL history?

• Adrian Peterson

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Eric Dickerson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emmett Smith

• Walter Payton

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • O.J. Simpson

• Jim Brown

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • John Riggins

• Bo Jackson

• Earl Cambell

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Red Grange

• Total voters
  1. Adrian Peterson
  2. Eric Dickerson
  3. Emmett Smith
  4. Walter Payton
  5. O.J. Simpson
  6. Jim Brown
  7. Bo Jackson
  8. John Riggins
  9. Earl Campbell
  10. Red Grange
If I missed someone, feel free to add them in.

Well, not top ten yet, so, not "best," but I do know a young skittleback that is a real "Beast," and he's probably a year or two away from realizing his full potential.

More to your list, however, where's Barry Sanders?

:lol:

:clap2:

GO!!! SEAHAWKS!!!!

Jim Brown is not only the best running back in history, he is the best football player ever to perform in the NFL.

You KNEW what was coming, and you still couldn't stop it.

Like Bobby Orr in hockey.

Jim Brown is not only the best running back in history, he is the best football player ever to perform in the NFL.

You KNEW what was coming, and you still couldn't stop it.

Like Bobby Orr in hockey.

Was Brown ever timed in the 40?

Does it matter? Everyone was slower then. Even playing field.

Yes it does...if we are talking ALL of history...best ever stuff. If we are talking the best of an era it does not matter.

Was Brown ever timed in the 40?

Yes it does...if we are talking ALL of history...best ever stuff. If we are talking the best of an era it does not matter.

If Brown was 25 today, he'd almost CERTAINLY be faster and stronger. So it wouldn't matter.

Babe Ruth would have been a lot slimmer had he been born 80 years later. Would have had better equipment, too.

Mickey Mantle would hace been policed a bit better in his extra-curricular activities.

If Orr had played in Gretsky's era, he TOO would have scored 200 points every year. A typical game ended at 6-4.

You also have to judge greatness by how a played changed the game. The ONLY dynastic NFL team that has NOT included a stud RB since he quit was the Niners - and Craig was no slouch.

If Brown was 25 today, he'd almost CERTAINLY be faster and stronger. So it wouldn't matter.

Babe Ruth would have been a lot slimmer had he been born 80 years later. Would have had better equipment, too.

Mickey Mantle would hace been policed a bit better in his extra-curricular activities.

If Orr had played in Gretsky's era, he TOO would have scored 200 points every year. A typical game ended at 6-4.

You also have to judge greatness by how a played changed the game. The ONLY dynastic NFL team that has NOT included a stud RB since he quit was the Niners - and Craig was no slouch.

All good points... :clap2:

1. Adrian Peterson
  2. Eric Dickerson
  3. Emmett Smith
  4. Walter Payton
  5. O.J. Simpson
  6. Jim Brown
  7. Bo Jackson
  8. John Riggins
  9. Earl Campbell
  10. Red Grange
If I missed someone, feel free to add them in.

My favorites from the list were Earl Campbell and John Riggins

They weren't going to burn you with an 80 yard run but they would beat you to death with 3-5 yard runs when they needed them
The key to a good running game is moving the chains. Make that third and short....keep the drive alive. That is how games are won

With both guys you would think you had them contained most of the game. But by the fourth quarter they had worn out your defense and were running at will

Fuck him!

Why? He's easily a top 10. Crazy stats, couple super bowl wins. What more could you ask for?

Many running backs have put up big numbers for a couple years and then faded away

Davis lacks career numbers

Davis won super bowls. Would Elway have ever finally gotten his SB wins without Davis?

No.

The guy could quite possibly have been the greatest ever had he kept playing. He was that damn good.

Why? He's easily a top 10. Crazy stats, couple super bowl wins. What more could you ask for?

Many running backs have put up big numbers for a couple years and then faded away

Davis won super bowls. Would Elway have ever finally gotten his SB wins without Davis?

No.

The guy could quite possibly have been the greatest ever had he kept playing. He was that damn good.

It's that 'could quite possibly' part that keeps him from these kinds of lists. Davis basically played 4 seasons. Maybe if those had been 4 2000 yard seasons, I could see waiving the requirement for a longer career. :tongue:

No.

It's that 'could quite possibly' part that keeps him from these kinds of lists. Davis basically played 4 seasons. Maybe if those had been 4 2000 yard seasons, I could see waiving the requirement for a longer career. :tongue:

Wasn't he good in tennis also? Didn't they name a cup after him?

Well, not top ten yet, so, not "best," but I do know a young skittleback that is a real "Beast," and he's probably a year or two away from realizing his full potential.

More to your list, however, where's Barry Sanders?

:lol:

:clap2:

GO!!! SEAHAWKS!!!!

LOL, thankfully this board is all text, my voice and hearing are still on vacation. The NFL will be hearing a lot more from southern alaska for the next decade!!

Go 'Hawks!

Barry Sanders is the best in history. CJ Spiller is the best in the game today, even though Chan Gailey doesn't realize it, with CJ and Fred Jackson splitting carries.

Last edited:
Barry Sanders is the best in history. CJ Spiller is the best in the game today, even though Can Gailey doesn't realize it, with CJ and Fred Jackson splitting carries.

The Bills have a lot more problems than who lines up behind Fitzpatrick. Freddie Jackson, when healthy, is not a step down from CJ. Spiller has better breakaway speed, but Jackson is a better power runner and one of the best pass blockers in the league.

The Bills need a quarterback, a coach and a general manager, in that order.

I love Fitz, but he can't hit the broad side of a barn from 30 yards away. When I see what Russell Wilson is doing in Seattle, the Bills and the rest of the league let the next Joe Namath slide to the THIRD round.

Forum List

Back