Who's Teaching What in Schools?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Granny, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Granny

Granny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    Some Knox Co. parents are upset about the Planned Parenthood people coming into the schools as guest speakers. This has gotten a lot of news coverage the last couple of days. Thank God my children are way beyond school age - but I looked at some of the links given in the news report. One thing that one parent was incensed about was that the teacher "made a mistake" and forgot to pass out "opt out" forms for parental consent to participate in the program.

I've never had to deal with the sex ed situation but I was curious since there's so much being said about the subject.

Pretty interesting - do any of you as parents know about the sex ed classes in your child's school? Also, I know we have a couple teachers on USMB - what are your thoughts?

Concerned parents rally over Planned Parenthood in schools

I'm going to have to edit after posting this because I can't remember the title of one link that sort of raised my eyebrows. Oh, and very often in the various links they refer to "sexuality education" as opposed to "sex ed."

The link "actual presentation" was the one that raised my eyebrows - sort of a curriculum.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Are you saying that teens should not be taught sex ed in school?

Is not teen pregnancy a problem? Better to find out the real story about it rather than from rumors and such by classmates.

Parents by and large to a poor job of sex education.
    Mine were so into religion they never would even say the word "sex". Pretty hjumerous considering they had 6 children don't you think?

3. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Teen pregnancy increased astronomically with the advent of "sex education".

I think it's safe to say it does nothing whatsoever to reduce the incidence.

4. Granny

Granny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    This appears to run a bit deeper than "sex ed." It's one thing to teach anatomy and quite another to teach "sexuality education" and promote sexual promiscuity as "perfectly normal." Teens have a way of believing "that [it] will never happen to me" in their pursuit of popularity, curiosity about sex, teen drinking, drug use and doing stupid things. And, of course, for several years they truly believe their parents are dumber than rocks.

5. old navy

old navy <<< Action Figures

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Teens having sex, getting pregnant, doing drugs, gangbanging, and whatnot are issues that go beyond what schools should be held responsible. It is too easy to blame the decay of society on schools and specifically teachers. We can only do so much. A little help from parents would be nice. I cringe every time I hear or read "Education Reform" or "Health Care Reform." No one really can explain what they mean when they say it. Our test scores are way lower than a butt load of other countries but we still lead the world in technology, research, and medicine. Why? We still have the smartest and hardest working people in the world but the test score averages are brought down by kids who can barely speak English or read and do math at their grade level.

Getting back to the forum question. I teach two health and medical sciences courses in high school. I teach girl and boy body parts and the functions. I stay away from the ethical aspect as that is not my job. Whose job is it? See the above paragraph.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  6. SmarterThanHick

SmarterThanHick Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +240
    That is completely false. Even study that has investigated abstinence-only education has found higher teen pregnancy rates, higher transmission of STDs, and increased abortions. This is factual reproducible evidence. No, your unsupported hunch backed by the credentials of having possibly spawned a child yourself does not refute every verified scientific study on the topic.

Planned Parenthood is one of the most knowledgeable organizations with regards to sexual education. If they were there just promoting abortion, I think it's safe to say that the message would be strongly inappropriate, but I have yet to hear any evidence of this being the case. They were teaching sex-ed, just as any middle-aged manly female gym teacher would have done, but they were in a much better position to answer questions.

Teenagers are teenagers. If you are so foolish to believe they can't figure out what SEX is despite raging hormones and modern media, you are denying their biology and intelligence.

It sounds to me the issue isn't that kids were learning about safe sex topics, but that the name "Planned Parenthood" pissed off a lot of unthinking soccer moms.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. 1uscitizen

1uscitizen Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    "soccer moms" is so passe. (I hate being stereotyped)
    "manly female gym teacher"....that's ok.:lol:

8. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    :eek: Planned Parenthood!

9. dalethomas1

dalethomas1 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ya I think that there are no study in today's modern schools they are only perform formalities.

10. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Who are these parents who do such a crappy job of instilling values in their kids, one school assembly can turn them 180 degrees? Are you seriously saying a nice boy or girl will become a slut after viewing a single PP presentation?

I dun get what we think might could be the payoff for keeping kids ignorant in a world where sex can kill, and most certainly can ruin lives.

Can anyone explain that to me?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011