Who's going to blink first?

Wiseacre

Retired USAF Chief
Apr 8, 2011
San Antonio, TX
The GOP will not allow a tax hike, Obama and the Dems won't cut spending without more tax revenue. Who's going to cave, somebody's gotta give.

Could the GOP sell the elimination of some tax expenditures to their base? Maybe, but I'm not seeing a hike in tax rates, even on the uber rich guys like Obama wants. They could sell the changes in the tax code as the price they had to pay, but they held the line on raising the tax rates. Butthey can't sell a tax rate increase, many would be shot down in the next primaries. Not going to happen IMHO, for these guys it's not just about politics but also about what's bad for the economy. Conservatives firmly believe you do not raise any taxes in a fragile economy like this one. So it's also an ideological choice, they really think raising taxes would be the wrong thing to do.

Obama and the Dems on the other hand did agree to extend the Bush tax cuts for the rich once already, plus they cut the payroll taxes and other tax cuts this past december, to the tune of $250 Billion, in the name of stimulating growth and jobs. So for them it's a political problem too, but other than the fairness issue it's not like they believe that raising taxes would be a good thing to do for the economy.

So who caves? I think Obama will be the one, so he can repeatedly bash the GOP for being for the rich against the little guy. Plus he can say he worked with the GOP in good faith even though they are a bunch of greedy bastards. Would he allow the country to default, does he want to forever be the president who was in charge when that happened? Sure, he can point fingers at the repubs, but they can counter that he and the Dems never once offered any alternative budgets or meaningful ways to cut spending.

One way or another, the next several months leading up to and including the next election are pivotal to the direction this country moves in, big gov't vs small, tax and spend vs reliance on free enterprise. What will the social contract evolve into, and who and how will we pay for it?

I don't think either side will "cave". If I had to guess, Obama will get an extension of the payroll tax cut, an end to a select few subsidies and some changes in exemptions etc...to "expand the base". Republicans will get no increase in marginal rates.

Both will declare victory.

WHo knows.
I mean, neither side is speaking the truth.
The President yesterday was dishonest and irresponsible to try and portray that this is about millionaires in private jets.
It is not.
It is about entitlements. As a fiscal conservative, I have no problem having some-limited tax increases if and ONLY if lowering entitlement expenses is a part of that package.

Obama will blink first. But that will be after he's finished his fundraising tour and a few rounds of golf.

Remove tax cuts and loop holes.

of course neither team can do that as they will piss off everyone that wants all or more of thier tax money back.

If the dems say they will cut spending. Why don't they?

of course neither team can do that as they will piss off everyone that wants all or more of thier tax money back.

You didn't see the funny part yesterday did you - Obama claimed they HAVE cut spending!!!! :lol:

You didn't see the funny part yesterday did you - Obama claimed they HAVE cut spending!!!! :lol:

Actually there have been cuts in spending.

But

Like creating 2 million jobs while losing 3 million is still 2 million created, it didn't cause a positive effect.

I think the cuts, he made ~= $100 million. Not billion, but million.

I suspect the right will blink first, they always have in the past on major social issues.
They kept on talking about SS reform but never submitted or voted on a single bill on it while they controlled everything.

Do you think they want to be blamed with SS checks and such stopping being issued?

Depends on who thinks they are winning the argument.

Polls are looking up for Republicans recently, and the President's last news conference got tremendous raspberries even from pundits on MSNBC. Instead of convincing the wavering he may have done his side huge damage.

I suspect the right will blink first, they always have in the past on major social issues.
They kept on talking about SS reform but never submitted or voted on a single bill on it while they controlled everything.

Do you think they want to be blamed with SS checks and such stopping being issued?

Yeah but this time the GOP has the TPers holding their feet to the fire. They have to worry about getting out of the primaries, while Obama is only worried about the general election and therefore pleasing the independents. So, no, the GOP doesn't want to be blamed for whatever happens but I think Obama wants it even less. And he will get a lot of blame too.

The democrats were making an argument to the people. Obama made them look silly. It is congress' responsibility, but what we have here is the QB throwing an interception which may result in the Republicans taking the ball to the end zone.

This guy got reelected - what changed?

Reagan Raised Taxes
Reagan Raised Taxes
Reagan Raised Taxes
Reagan Raised Taxes

"Faced with looming deficits, Reagan raised taxes again in 1983 with a gasoline tax and once more in 1984, this time by $50 billion over three years, mainly through closing tax loopholes for business. Despite the fact that such increases were anathema to conservatives–and probably cost Reagan’s successor, George H.W. Bush, reelection–Reagan raised taxes a grand total of four times just between 1982-84."

Newsflash: Ronald Reagan Raised Taxes (You Idiots) | Firedoglake

>

Last edited:

Yeah but this time the GOP has the TPers holding their feet to the fire. They have to worry about getting out of the primaries, while Obama is only worried about the general election and therefore pleasing the independents. So, no, the GOP doesn't want to be blamed for whatever happens but I think Obama wants it even less. And he will get a lot of blame too.

Umm the TP'ers do not want their govt checks to stop either.
Look at the average age of TP'ers.

This guy got reelected - what changed?

Reagan Raised Taxes
Reagan Raised Taxes
Reagan Raised Taxes
Reagan Raised Taxes

"Faced with looming deficits, Reagan raised taxes again in 1983 with a gasoline tax and once more in 1984, this time by $50 billion over three years, mainly through closing tax loopholes for business. Despite the fact that such increases were anathema to conservatives–and probably cost Reagan’s successor, George H.W. Bush, reelection–Reagan raised taxes a grand total of four times just between 1982-84." <a href="http://firedoglake.com/2009/02/01/newsflash-ronald-reagan-raised-taxes-you-idiots/">Read article here.</a>

Newsflash: Ronald Reagan Raised Taxes (You Idiots) | Firedoglake

>

reagan also did away with lots of deductions and stuff for individuals.
I recall being able to write off gas tax, misc interest payments and to income average for a bumper income year.

Umm the TP'ers do not want their govt checks to stop either.
Look at the average age of TP'ers.

Well, that's the truth. Everybody wants to cut spending except if it affects them. I don't know if most of them realize that their checks could be in jeopardy. Look, we take un 200 bilion in revenue a month, and we have to spend about 20 billion of that in interest on the debt. Not sure how much the monthly outlay is for SS, or for paying the troops, but I kinda doubt the seniors would be going without their checks.

Prove that he didn't. Ah, didn't think you could. Move along.

Forum List

Back