who's been saving since NAFTA ?

Widdekind

Mar 26, 2012
"M2 - M1" represents "savings accounts" in banks. Before NAFTA, US citizens were drawing down their "savings accounts", as measured by "M2 - M1" per capita, inflation adjusted (via CPI):

fredgraph.png
If Americans have been spending more, on cheaper foreign imports, since NAFTA; then who has been saving more 'real' (inflation-adjusted) Money, into "savings accounts", since c.1993 ?

I'd like to know why a 6 pack of Corona costs $8.

Because its a horrible beer that is sold to party drinkers, who will pay the outrageous price.
Also because it is imported, from New York.

No kidding...if they think it is cool to drink a "Mexican" beer than why not drink a real one like Pacifico. Not my favorite...but it is a far cry better than Corona.

I'd like to know why a 6 pack of Corona costs $8.

Because its a horrible beer that is sold to party drinkers, who will pay the outrageous price.
Also because it is imported, from New York.

No kidding...if they think it is cool to drink a "Mexican" beer than why not drink a real one like Pacifico. Not my favorite...but it is a far cry better than Corona.

I don't think they think it is cool because its "mexican" I think that they think it is cool because the lime. Some people that don't like beer can handle corona with a little salt and lime.

reported financial data are not inconsistent with "stereotypes" of "hard-working Latinos" saving earnings to send home, since NAFTA
fredgraph.png

net Income from US to foreign nationals
net change in personal savings accounts

Before NAFTA, rising interest-rates attracted more of Americans' money into savings accounts until 1980, after which falling interest-rates pushed more of Americans' money into spendable checking accounts, until NAFTA. But after NAFTA, interest-rates continued falling, yet savings accounts increased. Perhaps changing demographics accounts for the change, such that immigrant workers save even at much lower interest-rates than native workers. If so, then whereas Federal Reserve Board Chairman Alan Greenspan said that immigrant workers sell their labor for less in wages, so too they lend their money (to banks, as savings) for less in interest-rates. Both benefit the US economy, cutting costs of products on the wage side, and costs of credit (re-loaned from banks) on the interest-rates side -- implying that immigrant workers are more economically competitive in both labor & credit markets. (Anybody taking taxes in transfer payments is costly & economically anti-competitive.)

fredgraph.png

red = bank prime interest-rate percent divided by ten
blue = fraction of US bank deposits in "savings" vs. "checking" accounts​

Forum List

Back