Whoops! CIA Man Retracts Claim on Waterboarding

We used water boarding on 3 people. Supposedly we received some valuable information from them that probably saved American lives. At the time it was sanctioned by the Government, now it isn't. I don't know about this former agent and why he would lie. Obviously we cannot believe anything he says now.

I believe that we were justified in the use of enhanced measures, and I believe they were only used when it was thought that lives could be saved.

and these liberal beliefs are based on what...the record of honesty of whom?

Reagan lied to the American people about trding arms for hostages.

Many people lie and yet we believe what they say.

The sactioning of torture does not make torture legal or right. Unless you're a Nazi

Here's the other more logical response to your non sensical cut and paste job....

Prove waterboarding is torture. Not a single person has been charged with torture during the war on terrorism.

This is not only a struggle for territory, or ideology, it is a struggle for the idea what it means to be a modern human being. Like Captain Ahab, we need not become the great beast we seek to destroy. While I think many of the criticisms of Bush, Guantanamo and torture are facile, water boarding is torture. Believe you are drowning; feel like you are drowning, if you do not think so.

However, if waterboarding made Khalid Sheikh Mohammed talk, well I can jump off my high horse for a short time. I will wear that sin.

We used water boarding on 3 people. Supposedly we received some valuable information from them that probably saved American lives. At the time it was sanctioned by the Government, now it isn't. I don't know about this former agent and why he would lie. Obviously we cannot believe anything he says now.

I believe that we were justified in the use of enhanced measures, and I believe they were only used when it was thought that lives could be saved.

When US soldiers are tortured, don't the torturers think they are saving lives? American soldiers have information on tactics, capabilities, strengths and vulnerabilities.....by your logic, our soldiers can be tortured because the information will save lives
It may save lives. If they can find out which wedding ceremony or school the drones have targeted next.
Iran doesn't even torture westerners when they nab them. Neither does China or North Korea.
The only thing putting Flag Heads above Rag Heads is they haven't decapitated anyone with a sword........that we know about..........

Last edited:
I guess I'll simply never understand why so many want the USA to be the bad guy.

I understand that we are not Lilly white innocent, but we are far far above and beyond our extremist Muslim enemies today.

The non torture rules are there to help protect our troops if they are captured.
If you support torturing prisoners then you do not support our troops.

The Geneva Convention prevents the torture of Uniformed Combatants.

The Geneva convention has NOTHING to say about combatants not wearing a uniform. Terrorists caught do not have Geneva Convention protection.

Plus.. waterboarding isn't torture.

When US soldiers are tortured, don't the torturers think they are saving lives? American soldiers have information on tactics, capabilities, strengths and vulnerabilities.....by your logic, our soldiers can be tortured because the information will save lives

Don't think I would compare waterboarding to what our captured soldiers would go through. No way. No how.

The non torture rules are there to help protect our troops if they are captured.

Bullshit. How many heads have we cut off?

who needs to cut off heads when cluster bombing civilian populations works just as well.

I bet you are a fan of My Lai massacres too, you silly geriatric fuck.

I guess I'll simply never understand why so many want the USA to be the bad guy.

I understand that we are not Lilly white innocent, but we are far far above and beyond our extremist Muslim enemies today.

says the ironic, ethnocentric asshole who would shit his diaper the minute he discovered an American Soldier being waterboarded by muslims.

:roflleyes:

Here's the other more logical response to your non sensical cut and paste job....

Prove waterboarding is torture. Not a single person has been charged with torture during the war on terrorism.

I bet it would only take 4 fucking seconds for YOU to admit it's torture, bud.

who needs to cut off heads when cluster bombing civilian populations works just as well.

Only thing is Al Qaeda doesn't have cluster bombs yet...but I'm sure they got some people going to flight school here as we speak so keep your hopes up!

When I was waterboarded in SERE it really was quite uncomfortable...but I wouldn't consider it torture and it was legal up until Obama specifically forbade it through executive order.

Last edited:

Well...when I was waterboarded in SERE it really was quite uncomfortable...but I wouldn't consider it torture and it was legal up until Obama specifically forbade it through executive order.

Yeah I tried it as well, Not bad with a bit of Ketchup.

CIA Man Retracts Claim on Waterboarding | Foreign Policy

Well, it's official now: John Kiriakou, the former CIA operative who affirmed claims that waterboarding quickly unloosed the tongues of hard-core terrorists, says he didn't know what he was talking about.

Kiriakou, a 15-year veteran of the agency's intelligence analysis and operations directorates, electrified the hand-wringing national debate over torture in December 2007 when he told ABC's Brian Ross and Richard Esposito in a much ballyhooed, exclusive interview that senior al Qaeda commando Abu Zubaydah cracked after only one application of the face cloth and water.

"From that day on, he answered every question," Kiriakou said. "The threat information he provided disrupted a number of attacks, maybe dozens of attacks."

No matter that Kiriakou wearily said he shared the anguish of millions of Americans, not to mention the rest of the world, over the CIA's application of the medieval confession technique.

The point was that it worked. And the pro-torture camp was quick to pick up on Kiriakou's claim.

"It works, is the bottom line," conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh exclaimed on his radio show the day after Kiriakou's ABC interview. "Thirty to 35 seconds, and it works."

A cascade of similar acclamations followed, muffling -- to this day -- the later revelation that Zubaydah had in fact been waterboarded at least 83 times. Had Kiriakou left out something the first time?

Now comes John Kiriakou, again, with a wholly different story. On the next-to-last page of a new memoir, The Reluctant Spy: My Secret Life in the CIA's War on Terror (written with Michael Ruby), Kiriakou now rather off handedly admits that he basically made it all up.

"What I told Brian Ross in late 2007 was wrong on a couple counts," he writes. "I suggested that Abu Zubaydah had lasted only thirty or thirty-five seconds during his waterboarding before he begged his interrogators to stop; after that, I said he opened up and gave the agency actionable intelligence.

"Now we know," Kiriakou goes on, "that Zubaydah was waterboarded eighty-three times in a single month, raising questions about how much useful information he actually supplied."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A]YouTube - The Price is Right losing horn[/ame]

Time sure has a way of things. Thoughts USMB?

My thoughts are you've really gone overboard posting on this stupid subject. It's over. Who cares?

When people on the right brought up Clinton during Bush's Administration, the lefties sang in chorus: "He's no longer President". I agreed.

I apply the same to you necromancers who can't defend Obama so you try to deflect by beating long-dead horses.

Bush isn't President. Waterboarding is no longer used.

Personally, I think some waterboarding would do a few members of this board a world of good.:eusa_eh:

Well...when I was waterboarded in SERE it really was quite uncomfortable...but I wouldn't consider it torture and it was legal up until Obama specifically forbade it through executive order.

Yeah I tried it as well, Not bad with a bit of Ketchup.

wow...that ketchup is a lot thicker than water...and safer too. So you can confess and eat at the same time!!!! Awesome!!!!

Only thing is Al Qaeda doesn't have cluster bombs yet...but I'm sure they got some people going to flight school here as we speak so keep your hopes up!

and... if you were smart enough to compare how many dies from terrorists in flights school versus cluster bombs...

Good point. And besides everyone knows we draw the line at just burning their bodies and then hanging them up side down from a bridge. Okay, and maybe every now and then we drag a carcass or two through the streets behind a jeep or something.

When I was waterboarded in SERE it really was quite uncomfortable...but I wouldn't consider it torture and it was legal up until Obama specifically forbade it through executive order.

Of course you don't consider it torture. You knew damn well that the guy pouring water in your face would stop the second you started to squirm. Now, mancow, do you think you'd feel the same way if a person like me were pouring water in your face?

Forum List

Back