whoopi golddigger defends ape michael vick

While dog fighting might be a "cultural norm" where Vick was raised (which seems to be a bit questionable...not to mention overlooking the obvious racism inherent in saying that illegal torturing of innocent dogs is "a black thing")...he was living and has lived for quite sometime in a culture in which people love their dogs often more than they love some of their human family members. We have entire stores devoted to dogs, we have dogs who play prominent roles on television shows - often getting more fan mail than their human counter-parts, in short, this nation loves dogs and the only way you may have missed that is if you lived in a cave.

Michael Vick was not living in a cave. He was living the life of a prominent professional football player - he knew that the society not only did not approve of dog fighting, but that it was illegal. I would risk making a generalization in saying that almost ALL people who engage in dogfighting know its illegal...hence why it is so deeply underground.

Goldberg was, in my opinion, walking a very dangerous line by stating that because he grew up in a culture where something was acceptable it "explains" why he did it. Many people grew up with parents and/or grandparents who were one way...and they chose to do something different. People raised by devoutly religious people often choose to be non-church-goers. People raised in Republican households often become ardent Democrats (see Hillary Clinton). People raised by parents with prejudices against different races and/or sexual orientations often grow up to be far more tolerant than their parents.

Vick may have grown up in a culture where dog-fighting took place. It does not explain why he chose as an adult to take such a prominent and proud part of the needless torture and killing of innocent animals for sport and amusement. To try to offer any rationalization of this is, in my opinion, disturbing at worst and unnecessary blather at best.

Additionally, just to throw fuel on the fire...I would be interested to see if Whoopi would have offered the same support/explanation of a Southern white male named "Bubba" who tortured and electrocuted to death animals just for fun. We call people like that future serial killers...not misunderstood victims of an unfortunate cultural disconnect.

I ain't buyin' anybody trying to rationalize for Vick. I am a dog owner and I love my dogs. Anyone who does to dogs what that asshole did to dogs needs to do hard time as far as I am concerned.

I ain't buyin' anybody trying to rationalize for Vick. I am a dog owner and I love my dogs. Anyone who does to dogs what that asshole did to dogs needs to do hard time as far as I am concerned.

I agree MM....its just this clown Whoopie was definitely using her bully pulpit to spin into a culture thing....thats crap...and those that can't see it are ...well I don't know what the hell they are....

Once again, just for the slow, she did not defend him, she did not ask for him to be forgiven, she did not ask for the courts to go easy on him, she did not say he should be treated differently. She simply said she could understand why he would do something as stupid as he did. And she did not say it about blacks only, she said deep south, last I checked white people live there too.

Further I suggest you ask southerners whether they think Virginia is in the deep south. The show included talking about how wrong dog fighting is No one said dog fighting was acceptable or excused Vick's crime. She expressed an opinion on why a person with so much going for him would do something so illegal and so dumb. Provide one quote where she excused his crime, one quote where she ask for him to not face the law for his crime, one quote where she ask that he be treated differently for his crime.

the fact that she wasted public air time on rationalizing his actions is more than any words can state.

notice that SHE brought him up, they werent even talking about him. she said "speaking of dogs" then goes on to excuse his behavior.

I agree MM....its just this clown Whoopie was definitely using her bully pulpit to spin into a culture thing....thats crap...and those that can't see it are ...well I don't know what the hell they are....

So it isn't a cultural thing? Yes it's disgusting, but to think that it has nothing to do with culture is stupid. Isn't buillfighting a cultural thing? It's arguably the closest eqiuvalent to this, just a different animal.

the fact that she wasted public air time on rationalizing his actions is more than any words can state.

notice that SHE brought him up, they werent even talking about him. she said "speaking of dogs" then goes on to excuse his behavior.

You need a dictionary. She didn't rationalize it. She explained in her view why it happenned. that isn't rationalizing. Learn the difference

So it isn't a cultural thing? Yes it's disgusting, but to think that it has nothing to do with culture is stupid. Isn't buillfighting a cultural thing? It's arguably the closest eqiuvalent to this, just a different animal.

it's a legal thing.

bullfighting AND dogfighting are illegal in the USA. If Vick had had a bullring in his backyard and was stabbing bulls in the neck for sport, it would be just as wrong...even though I do not have any bulls as pets and therefore do not have the personal connection.

don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Does anyone notice whoopi crapberg could make the same argument about almost anything? She could find an area with a lot of pedophiles and use the same reasoning if someone got caught there who "grew up there."

Does anyone notice whoopi crapberg could make the same argument about almost anything? She could find an area with a lot of pedophiles and use the same reasoning if someone got caught there who "grew up there."

Sexual abuse and harassment of children is against the law.

no shit, so is dog fighting.

I know. I was hoping that someone would discuss where the line should be drawn. Anyway. Those things are illegal and the guy is being punished. I may need to see the video again but from what I hear, Whopie never said that he should not be punished for his crime or that the law should be changed.

......we aren't talking about eating fish, killing insects, or racing horses....and we dont' try to exterminate any animal that I know of.... serious mental and moral problem...

( or are you even old enough to) wolf and coyote eradications campaign of the 50s and 60s that availed itself of tracking targets in the snow from a Taylor or Piper tail dragger. Do you recall heroic pics of those same "varmints" being displayed in mass on wire fences with the gleeful eradicators smiling for the pic and displaying their 30/30 and 30 0ught 6 firepower.

I myself, at one time in my life, participated in varmint shoots. I started at 12 with a 220 Swift and iron sights. I was a marmot (ground hog, Whistle-Pig) sniper. I still shoot but at nothing living. I am still an inshore saltwater fisherman, but catch and release only. I am no saint but I will not tolerate blood sports, symbolic nooses, or dodgey interpretations of Caroline Johnson's observations. Word.

I AM

Forum List

Back