WHOO HOO! Keystone to build from Oklahoma to Gulf

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
This is a victory.

Whoopsies. Meant to hit preview.

And now of all things the President is "welcoming" this plan.:lol:

WASHINGTON — U.S. President Barack Obama on Monday applauded a decision by Calgary-based TransCanada Corp. to build the most southern portion of the controversial Keystone XL pipeline as a stand-alone project that does not need U.S. State Department approval.

"The president welcomes today's news that TransCanada plans to build a pipeline to bring crude oil from Cushing, Oklahoma, to the Gulf of Mexico," White House press secretary Jay Carney said in a statement.

The plan will "help address the bottleneck of oil" in the U.S. Midwest that has resulted from increased domestic production.

"We look forward to working with TransCanada to ensure that it is built in a safe, responsible and timely manner, and we commit to take every step possible to expedite the necessary federal permits," Carney said.

Obama 'welcomes' plan to build southern Keystone leg

Last edited:
They're also planning on re-applying for the original pipeline extention as well.

This is a victory.

WASHINGTON — U.S. President Barack Obama on Monday applauded a decision by Calgary-based TransCanada Corp. to build the most southern portion of the controversial Keystone XL pipeline as a stand-alone project that does not need U.S. State Department approval.

"The president welcomes today's news that TransCanada plans to build a pipeline to bring crude oil from Cushing, Oklahoma, to the Gulf of Mexico," White House press secretary Jay Carney said in a statement.

The plan will "help address the bottleneck of oil" in the U.S. Midwest that has resulted from increased domestic production.

"We look forward to working with TransCanada to ensure that it is built in a safe, responsible and timely manner, and we commit to take every step possible to expedite the necessary federal permits," Carney said.

The real insult here is that he says "It doesn't need state department approval" when in fact the state department approved the whole pipeline from top to bottom, he is the one who did not sign off on it. What a dick.

This is a victory.

Good for Keystone; not INCREASED PRODUCTION.

this is a victory.

And now of all things the president is "welcoming" this plan.:lol:

washington — u.s. President barack obama on monday applauded a decision by calgary-based transcanada corp. To build the most southern portion of the controversial keystone xl pipeline as a stand-alone project that does not need u.s. State department approval.

"the president welcomes today's news that transcanada plans to build a pipeline to bring crude oil from cushing, oklahoma, to the gulf of mexico," white house press secretary jay carney said in a statement.

The plan will "help address the bottleneck of oil" in the u.s. Midwest that has resulted from increased domestic production.

"we look forward to working with transcanada to ensure that it is built in a safe, responsible and timely manner, and we commit to take every step possible to expedite the necessary federal permits," carney said.

obama 'welcomes' plan to build southern keystone leg
good for keystone; not increased production.
note

They will get the whole thing eventually and Obama will approve it. Making a political blow-up of this was stupid, now everyone has an opinion and a political stake and will try to horn in on the action. If this pipeline is such a good idea, why did they use it for a cheap political trap for the president?

This is expected.

The southern portion doesn't affect the Nebraska water supply.

As long as Keystone finds a way to get around the Nebraska water supply problem, I'm sure the President will approve the whole thing.

As far as gasoline prices go, however, the price of gas has risen to where it is because the oil companies have been shutting down refineries left and right.

Angry About High Gas Prices? Blame Shuttered Oil Refineries - Yahoo! Finance

Good. So when do you expect a drop in the price of gasoline in the US?

With all due respect the high price of our gas (mine too up here) is because of the taxes on it.

Every time drivers suffer, do you ever see a State government lower taxes to help their citizens?

Look this issue is right across the globe on taxation on such a necessity. I think when I was checking out the BBC (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) the Brits are currently paying 1.51 pound per liter.

That's mainly taxation. And it's wrong for any government world wide to penalize their citizens this way.

Back to the pipeline, I'm just glad that people are going to get the jobs they were counting on.

Good. So when do you expect a drop in the price of gasoline in the US?

With all due respect the high price of our gas (mine too up here) is because of the taxes on it.

Every time drivers suffer, do you ever see a State government lower taxes to help their citizens?

Look this issue is right across the globe on taxation on such a necessity. I think when I was checking out the BBC (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) the Brits are currently paying 1.51 pound per liter.

That's mainly taxation. And it's wrong for any government world wide to penalize their citizens this way.

Back to the pipeline, I'm just glad that people are going to get the jobs they were counting on.

Much of the drivers hurt is their own fault. Most could reduce their gas consumption by 25% without really hurting themselves.
Drive when necessary.
Car pool when practical.
plan your trips to grocery, etc well instead of driving to the store every time you run out of one thing.

That is incorrect. The price of gas in the US is much cheaper than in other areas of the world.

The current rise in prices is a direct result of the oil companies shutting down refineries to increase profit.

This is expected.

As long as Keystone finds a way to get around the Nebraska water supply problem, I'm sure the President will approve the whole thing.

As far as gasoline prices go, however, the price of gas has risen to where it is because the oil companies have been shutting down refineries left and right.

There is 2,000 miles of pipeline already across Nebraska and crossing the aquifer.

This was never about the Ogallala. Truth out here. I'm a major water conservationist. I don't like anything that messes with an aquifer, but that part of the campaign against Keystone III was pure bullshit propaganda.

There is 2,000 miles of pipeline already across Nebraska and crossing the aquifer.

This was never about the Ogallala. Truth out here. I'm a major water conservationist. I don't like anything that messes with an aquifer, but that part of the campaign against Keystone III was pure bullshit propaganda.

While we disagree on this, that was not my point.

My point was that nothing has changed about the situation.

There is still no pipeline approved to go across Nebraska until something is done about the possible issue with the state's water supply.

Screen-shot-2011-09-26-at-7.41.01-AM.png

Today, nearly 25,000 miles of petroleum pipelines exist within the Ogallala Aquifer, including 2,000 miles in Nebraska.

These pipelines transport about 730,000,000,000 barrels of crude oil across the aquifer – each year, including nearly 100,000,000 barrels of crude oil transported across the aquifer in Nebraska. After this oil is refined into gasoline, diesel fuel, aviation gas and other products, pipelines transport much of it back across the aquifer for use on Nebraska farms, ranches and roads.

While we disagree on this, that was not my point.

My point was that nothing has changed about the situation.

There is still no pipeline approved to go across Nebraska until something is done about the possible issue with the state's water supply.

Trans Canada has already approved a move to not go across the already criss crossed aquifer with their pipeline.

This is expected.

Wrong. Demand is down so much due to the recession that gasoline production is far outstripping demand. But because of government over regualtion and meddling, we are at the mercy of OPEC price fixing, and the USA is in such financial tatters and is so disrespected, we have little or no influence or clout to change that. So, because our own government makes profitability so difficult for the oil companies here, a whole lot of the product is being shipped overseas to emerging markets in China and India.

A President with ANY understanding of macroeconomics would have made strong proposals to remedy that situation by now and make it profitable for the oil companies to sell their product here at a price attractive to American consumers.

Unfortunately we don't have that President in the White House.

Forum List

Back