Who'll Stop the Rain?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nodoginnafight, Jan 16, 2013.

1. nodoginnafight

nodoginnafight No Party Affiliation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Who is committed to spending cuts?

Democrats say spending cuts legislation can't be linked. I get that - it holds people hostage. But in defeating an amendment to Sandy relief that would reguire a coresponding $50 billion cut in discretionary spending Republican Hal Rogers of Kentucky didn't say the cuts are needed but shouldn't be linked. He said:

"This is a true emergency. This is a true catastrophe and to offset the size that they're talking about would devastate the regular agencies. It's just too big to handle except through an emergency process."

If I read the budget correctly there is a total of about $1.5 trillion in discretionary spending. And cuting $60 billion "would devastate the regular agencies"???

The idea that $60 billion in cuts is "devastating" does not bode well for our ability to make real spending cuts.

Just MHO - but what am I missing here?

2. SniperFire

SniperFire Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,223
    You are part of the problem if you think spending cuts cannot be 'linked.'

3. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Yeah, yeah. Pick out something to stalk on why don't you?

4. jwoodie

jwoodie Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,904
    I think Sniper meant "you" in a general (not personal) sense. But regarding the larger issue, we seem to be doomed when over half of our population is unable to balance a checkbook, much less comprehend issues like federal spending and the national debt.

5. zeke

zeke Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,868
    woodie and snippy...together.....to known budgetary experts.

SO what do you all want to cut? Specifically? And how much?

Seems like the rethugs in Congress can't quite come up with that info. So how about you guys? Cause it sure is hard to debate what and how much to cut if no one puts their wish list out there. Dems say no cuts, rethugs say nothing. Where is the middle ground?

6. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    sniper stalks me on these boards like a jilted hairdresser, flinging personal insults and vulgarities. I know what he/she meant.

But no one seems serious about spending cuts. Neither party has shown any fiscal responsibility and neither has any real fiscal credibility imho. I also deduct points from the GOP for hypocrisy.

But zero to -1 isn't really a victory now is it?

7. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,013
    Don't forget that "spending cut" in politi-speak mean smaller increases in spending not decreases.

8. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    if the overall result is spending at a level that is equal to or less than our revenue, I couldn't care less about the semantics or the spin.

9. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,525
    Defense falls under discretionary spending. Defense makes up a majority of discretionary spending. So any cut in discretionary spending implies cuts in defense spending.

Since our post-9/11 defense spending is at levels not seen since World War II, you would think cutting defense spending since we are not in a world war would be one of the most common sense things in the Universe. After all, we are spending way above what we spent during the nuclear arms race and Vietnam and Korea, and it is inarguable that during the Cold War we had a greater existential threat than we do today. But still, we are spending way, way above that period. Even after adjusting for inflation, we are spending more than twice what we spent at the post-WWII peak.

So why are defense cuts not even on the table? I've been asking this for a while.

Then it hit me why yesterday.

Remember after 9/11 how the liberals went on for years and years and years about Bush ignoring the warning signs and how he allegedly just let 9/11 happen through his complete lack of vigilance?

Yeah. That's why.

Another terror attack on America is inevitable. We all know this in our bones.

So would you want to be the President who cut our defense spending, a HUMONGOUS portion of which is spent on the massive intelligence community that was built post-9/11, and be that guy when the next terror attack happens?

Who will be the scapegoat?

Yeah. The defense budget cutters. That's who.

Since 9/11, our secret society of intelligence gathering has exploded to the point it is approaching the size of our active duty military. I kid you not. We're talking about close to a million people. And much of that intelligence gathering is done by corporations. Privately owned and operated profit-driven businesses.

If you want a symbolic representation of this massive growth, ponder the Pentagon. Built during WWII, it is the largest office building on the planet.

Until now. It is matched by the new Department of Homeland Security building in DC, which is only one of many thousands of structures built for our giant intelligence complex.

So...yeah.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  10. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,525