Whole Foods Republicans

Then they're almost park-like. You can't get that with high density housing.

That's not true. Many inner-city neighborhoods have a parklike feel - below is my favorite. You should see some of the tree-lined avenues here with their brownstones. And I want my city to be anti-car. It incourages pedestrian/bicycle/tourist traffic which is good for the air quality as well as the businesses on those thorofares.

hsd_ParkSlope.gif

Wow! Try a third of the houses and three times more trees (that are older than 40 years).

No question the GOP needs to be more inclusive. The problem is the Rush Limbaughs, Sarah Palins and Glenn Becks of the world continually attack the Whole Foods as not being "Real Americans" and elitist

The Whole Foods people are "fake Americans' and they are elitists. The head of the company is a liberal. It just happens that even he sees where health care needs to go.
Reducing the GOP, or even conservatives, to Beck, Palin, and Limbaugh betrays an ignorance of where the party and movement are.

I'll play along....where ARE the party and movement?

Don't play along. He confirms your argument by calling the CEO of Whole Foods a liberal (even though he's written columns for a libertarian magazine and his only political donations have been to Libertarian Party candidates) and saying anyone who doesn't want their food shot full of chemicals is an anti-American snob.

I resemble that. Interesting article in WSJ:

Michael Petrilli: Whole Foods Republicans - WSJ.com

"...What's needed is a full-fledged effort to cultivate "Whole Foods Republicans"—independent-minded voters who embrace a progressive lifestyle but not progressive politics. These highly-educated indiividuals appreciate diversity and would never tell racist or homophobic jokes; they like living in walkable urban environments; they believe in environmental stewardship, community service and a spirit of inclusion."

So why are they still Republicans?

That's sorta the key to the argument. The writer is saying that the Republican Party needs to make an appeal to these groups to get them in, but it doing so, they'd have to fundamentally change what the party stands for.

I resemble that. Interesting article in WSJ:

Michael Petrilli: Whole Foods Republicans - WSJ.com

"...What's needed is a full-fledged effort to cultivate "Whole Foods Republicans"—independent-minded voters who embrace a progressive lifestyle but not progressive politics. These highly-educated indiividuals appreciate diversity and would never tell racist or homophobic jokes; they like living in walkable urban environments; they believe in environmental stewardship, community service and a spirit of inclusion."

So why are they still Republicans?

That's sorta the key to the argument. The writer is saying that the Republican Party needs to make an appeal to these groups to get them in, but it doing so, they'd have to fundamentally change what the party stands for.

Maybe if they owned guns, the Republicans would take them in

I love living in an urban environment. Like being able to walk or take the subway anywhere I need to go. I love being able to go to MOMA and see a Miro` exhibit on a Saturday afternoon, or to go to Inoteca and get truffled eggs on toast for dinner. I love the streets and windows being dressed for the holidays and people-watching at the park. I like living in a Russian/Pakistani/Polish/Hasid/Indian/Mexican/Palestinian neighborhood. I like being able to get fresh fish and cheeses from all over the world two train stops away. If I want to get out in the open, I can go visit my parents in podunk Tennessee, but I'm always really happy to be back home. You know, high density urban centers have less of a detrimental impact on the land than suburbian sprawl does. Did you know one subway cartakes the equivalent of up to 250 cars off the road? One car - not one train - one car on the train.

I can get all that shit on the internet and delivered to my rural home.

And I ain't talking suburbs.

I would rather live on 40 acres in the middle of the Rockies than be crammed into a city with a bunch of people.

You get Russian/Pakistani/Polish/Hasid/Indian/Mexican/Palestinian's delivered to your rural home?

it's called cooking.

I can get all the ingredients delivered to me and cook my own food rather than having some sweaty guy in a kitchen who probably didn't wash his hands after his last shit and is dripping sweat into the soup make it

That's not true. Many inner-city neighborhoods have a parklike feel - below is my favorite. You should see some of the tree-lined avenues here with their brownstones. And I want my city to be anti-car. It incourages pedestrian/bicycle/tourist traffic which is good for the air quality as well as the businesses on those thorofares.

hsd_ParkSlope.gif

you call that a park like feel.

Those houses are so close together I bet you can hear your neighbor fart.

This is the view from a home in a park like setting

bozemanMountains.jpg

bozeman1.jpg

hsd_ParkSlope.gif
Okay. I agree. Some people may like this. I believe they have no right to force me to live in sardine hell though and if I want a car heavy sprawl, I should be allowed to live in one. I'm sure NYC, Tokyo, New Delhi, London, Hong Kong and other ultra dense population areas are available for you to enjoy. I just won't be there. :) See? Works out fine. You can pack yourself into a small area, and leave the rest of the space for those of us who like it.

it's called cooking.

I can get all the ingredients delivered to me and cook my own food rather than having some sweaty guy in a kitchen who probably didn't wash his hands after his last shit and is dripping sweat into the soup make it

Um, I wasn't talking about restaurants. This is the ethnic makeup of most of the people in my particular neighborhood.

Forum List

Back