Who would you meet?

Feb 15, 2004
This is a survey really. I am curious to know who you admire most in world history? Who is it you believe changed the world of today moreso than anyone else? If you had the opportunity to meet someone in the past, no matter how far back, who would it be and why?

Originally posted by winston churchi
This is a survey really. I am curious to know who you admire most in world history? Who is it you believe changed the world of today moreso than anyone else? If you had the opportunity to meet someone in the past, no matter how far back, who would it be and why?

George washington. His support was so complete he could have been declared king if he wanted. he refused, bringing a new standard of enlightened leadership into the world scene. The refusal heard 'round the world.

Either Jesus Christ, because I would have loved to seen His life on Earth firsthand, or Bob Marley, who is my main musical influence.

Of the top of my head, Alexander the Great.

He was schooled by Aristotle, was an enormously succesfull military strategist, conquering the whole civilized world as he knew it, truly, and for good reason, believed in his own divinity, and paved the way for Western Civilization.

Probably an interesting individual.

Originally posted by Zhukov
Of the top of my head, Alexander the Great.

He was schooled by Aristotle, was an enormously succesfull military strategist, conquering the whole civilized world as he knew it, truly, and for good reason, believed in his own divinity, and paved the way for Western Civilization.

Probably an interesting individual.

I almost put Alexander as well, Zhukov, but I didn't want to be called a fascist.:D

Leonardo da Vinci - If I spoke Italian.

If limited to English - Benjamin Franklin or Thomas Jefferson.

There are many choices. Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin indeed and of course Jesus Christ and Bob Marely.

I find an interesting answer was Siddhartha Gautama. Most people do know of him let alone his teaching (perhaps aside from Buddhist).

What is it about him that fasinates you? Where did you learn of him?

Pardon the questions. I have never come across that answer.

Perhaps for me, right now is King George the third. I have read quite a bit on him over the years. I always found it completely fasinating that for the sake of a tennis match (some say polo, where his father was hit in the chest with a ball and later died from it before he could become king) King George would never have been crowned so young. If his father had chosen not to play a match that day, he would have become King Fredrick and it forces one to wonder where would the United States be today if that had happened?

Of course every bit of history is based on the smallest of incidents that changed the entire course of history.

Whom do I admire: Ronald Reagan

want to meet: It's a toss up for me between Alexander the Great and Leonardo DaVinci and Michaelangelo

changed the modern world: FDR- thanks for welfare!

Originally posted by winston churchi
There are many choices. Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin indeed and of course Jesus Christ and Bob Marely.

I met Bob Marley - you'd be disappointed. He was so incredibly stoned it was disgusting.

Thomas Edison

I'd love to hang with someone like that and watch the way his mind operates. I went to tech school in Edison, NJ and it was just a few blocks from the Edison Tower. They still have the first light bulb ever invented lighting up the top of the tower nightly. Lots of things would be different for us if Edison wasn't around!

Originally posted by wonderwench
I met Bob Marley - you'd be disappointed. He was so incredibly stoned it was disgusting.

My stepmother met him too - he tried to hit on her, actually. She was working as a flight attendant at the time.

Still... musical icon, I'd still like to meet him.

Originally posted by jimnyc
Thomas Edison

I'd love to hang with someone like that and watch the way his mind operates. I went to tech school in Edison, NJ and it was just a few blocks from the Edison Tower. They still have the first light bulb ever invented lighting up the top of the tower nightly. Lots of things would be different for us if Edison wasn't around!

I'm sure you've heard that edison's teachers thought he was retarded because he asked so many questions. Pretty wild.

Einsteins professors thought he was "arrogant"! well excuse the hell out of him.

That comment on Bob Marley made me laugh! I suppose that would be true.
I (part time) lived in Jamica some years ago and visited his house. Did not meet the man of course but met his lovely 'plant' collection.

Socrates, so I could learn from the master. (The smartest man alive)

Forum List

Back