Who would be a better President Washington or Lincoln?

cindywalters

Rookie
Jul 17, 2008
This may sound really weird to you guys. But I'm just wondering who you guys think would be a better President if they were alive today? George Washington or Abraham Lincoln?

Let me know what you think...:)

hmm, going on ones ability to deal with the hate, and critics that come with the job alone, I would vote for Lincoln. though we call him one of the greats, he was almost universally hated when in office, he was often called a baboon.

This may sound really weird to you guys. But I'm just wondering who you guys think would be a better President if they were alive today? George Washington or Abraham Lincoln?

Easy decision because Lincoln suspended Habius Corpus during the civil war.

Washington could have become king but instead gave the country to We The People.

And Washington risked his own life.

Easy decision because Lincoln suspended Habius Corpus during the civil war.

Washington could have become king but instead gave the country to We The People.

And Washington risked his own life.

I almost went with Washington then I decided he was far to dignified to take the job today.

I'd have to say Washington.

Washington had the descression to walk away after 2 terms.

Lincoln forced his will upon the states and violated the 10th ammendment.

Washington was definatley the better leader. Lincoln had more difficult issues to deal with.

Rutherford B. Hayes, he gave out blankets to needy people in the western states, a true humanitarian.

I'm going to go Washington. He was more circumspect. Much more in control of various factions within and without the government. He knew himself and the effect of his stature on the country and restrained himself. Maybe he would set a better example for the politicians today.

Teddy Roosevelt

Always against the thread...the choices are washington and lincoln. If Teddy was choice, you'd have seen him in the "choices"

I agree with you, but it wasn't a choice dumbass.

Yeah, it's this one...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G5f_gbzo4Q0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G5f_gbzo4Q0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

So, Lincoln totally violates the Constitution, tramples on states rights rights, suspends habeus corpus, and yet people call George Bush a facist? People accuse Bush of WAY less then Lincoln and yet they're yelling for Bush's impeachment. Hmmmmmm

it's a difficult choice
Overall the Idea that Washington never really wanted to be in that position is what made him so great
also the fact that he gave it up when he could have remained at the post for life
and that he was fundamental in bringing the government into power
risking his own life and reputation for something he believed in more than either
that is the person we use as the yardstick for what we now refer to as patriots

those who are willing to give of themselves for an ideal that they believe in
that Idea being limited constitutional government of, by and for the people

Always against the thread...the choices are washington and lincoln. If Teddy was choice, you'd have seen him in the "choices"

I agree with you, but it wasn't a choice dumbass.

Glad you agree with me.

So, Lincoln totally violates the Constitution, tramples on states rights rights, suspends habeus corpus, and yet people call George Bush a facist? People accuse Bush of WAY less then Lincoln and yet they're yelling for Bush's impeachment. Hmmmmmm

Err umm they wanted to Impeach Lincoln too. That horrible bad man, how dare he hold together the union :)

Tough question.

Since the problems we face are wildly different than what they faced, their records in office are not much help in deciding.

Probably Washington, though.

Charisma is even more valuable today for getting things done politically, and that's clearly one thing George had in abundance.

Plus, George was a veteran and NOT a lawyer.

Hey guys,

If it was up to me, I think I would have to go with Washington!

I actually found a website that is doing this big discussion on this topic called Now Debate This. You'll have to do a google search on it. But it's really interesting.

You should check it out! It's cool to see people's responses.

Mercy, mercy, mercy. Somedays I feel like I was around to vote for both them the 1st time .... all I can do is add a comment to your question ....... I bet both of them are rolling over in their graves when they see the mess this country is in today. IMHO :doubt:

Forum List

Back