Who won the debate and why?

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
1# Ron Paul-everything was out of the park, but the race one. IF YOU DO A CRIME YOU SHOULD SERVE YOUR TIME. If blacks don't respect the law and break it, who's fault is it? Not whiteys or anyone besides them. That is called being treated equally. Honest to goodnest to let a group off light would promote only bad and more crime...Lets not ask to be treated better.Paul was right about everything else he said. Out of the park! Right about defense, right about our rights and right about the over reach of the government! If it wasn't for that one area, I'd say he would of blown the field away, but he just edged out newt because of it.

Paul had one his best debate as he was clear about things...Normally he comes off to angery!

2# Newt Gingrich...SSI and his idea's on reducing the government were pretty good. The best debater of them all.

3# Mitt Romney...Did fairly good and was honest for once about his reasons for his past record, but could of done far better in defending his record at Bain, ect. I liked his idea's on the border! To sloppy...Really don't understand why his debate skills are falling apart.

4# Santorum...Sounded butt hurt, but had some good idea's.

I expect for S.Carolina this debate did.
Ron Paul gained 2-3 points. Maybe more if his defense of his defense record worked!
Newt gained 2-3 points
Mitt Romney lost 2 points
Sandorum holds.

Last edited:
The point of the debate is to increase one's odds of winning the GOP nomination. By that standard, Mitt Romney won the debate. At this point though that takes no special ability on his part, he just needs to show up and not make a gaffe.

If you think Paul 'won' that debate, you went in to it with a predetermined outcome

He either sounded like a pre-scripted buffoon who had to get jis brain to click in to remember the points properly... or an illogical ranter toned down by pain killers

If you think Paul 'won' that debate, you went in to it with a predetermined outcome

He either sounded like a pre-scripted buffoon who had to get jis brain to click in to remember the points properly... or an illogical ranter toned down by pain killers

I agree. Paul had to have had one of his worst nights at a debate. He rambled on, didn't give specifics and sounded like a worn out old man.

Romney had a real bad night too. He stuttered and stammered, looked nervous, beat around the bush and had a real hard time answering some questions. He looked like your typical money bags insider trying real hard to look and sound like he isn't. I don't like him, at all.

Perry had a good night and so did Newt, who in my opinion won the debate. Pollster Frank Luntz said that in his 16 years of following debates, the very first "standing ovation" he's ever seen was for Gingrich last night.

Last edited:
The point of the debate is to increase one's odds of winning the GOP nomination. By that standard, Mitt Romney won the debate. At this point though that takes no special ability on his part, he just needs to show up and not make a gaffe.

This is 100% accurate. Romney will be the GOP nominee, and all that the continuing GOP debates are doing at this point is making him a weaker candidate for the general election. While I felt Newt had a good night, he is not electable, and the rest of the field sincerely should have dropped out by now. The Obama campaign will be able to save a ton of money in the general election simply by using the ads that Romney's rivals are currently creating.

I actually agree with you. The party has sort of coalesced around Romney as the one with the best chance of beating Obama. That's good in the sense there is early cohesion.

I actually agree with you. The party has sort of coalesced around Romney as the one with the best chance of beating Obama. That's good in the sense there is early cohesion.

Does the GOP have the authority to cancel further debates if they feel it is in their party's best interest?

I agree. Paul had to have had one of his worst nights at a debate. He rambled on, didn't give specifics and sounded like a worn out old man.

Romney had a real bad night too. He stuttered and stammered, looked nervous, beat around the bush and had a real hard time answering some questions. He looked like your typical money bags insider trying real hard to look and sound like he isn't. I don't like him, at all.

Perry had a good night and so did Newt, who in my opinion won the debate. Pollster Frank Luntz said that in his 16 years of following debates, the very first "standing ovation" he's ever seen was for Gingrich last night.

I agree with what you say. You are the only one who has mentioned the stuttering and stammering of Romney during these debates. I've noticed it as well. Makes me wonder about his calmness under a real emergency.

Paul, was just Paul. Rambling on and falling short.

Still believe the coronation of nomination should not be guaranteed so early in the game. What do the other states think?

Does the GOP have the authority to cancel further debates if they feel it is in their party's best interest?

I may be wrong...but I believe four years ago at this time, Hillary looked like a shoe in.

I may be wrong...but I believe four years ago at this time, Hillary looked like a shoe in.

To whom? I strongly believed all along (and I think I was still pulling for Fred Thompson at this time in 2008), that Hillary was both too devisive and carried too much baggage (Bill), to ever win the nomination.

I somewhat agree about Ron Paul not having a good night. I think he gets flustered when he is under time constraints. He has said he needs to work on his delivery. I did like his answer on defense vs military spending and I thought it effectively demonstrated his position. I also liked him telling that commentator he was confused.

I thought Newt had a good night overall. He is a very good speaker and very confident which plays well in this type of setting.

Mitt came off as a waffler and non-committal.

Santorum came off butthurt

Perry is entertaining but not in a good way although I did like some of his answers. I am not a fan of his asking for Mitts tax return or attacking him on Bain. Same with Newt on this.

I think Newt probably won on style and communications but I think Romney wins overall because he didn't screw up. The nom is his to lose and he knows all he has to do is maintain.

I expect Perry and Santorum to drop soon.

This is 100% accurate. Romney will be the GOP nominee, and all that the continuing GOP debates are doing at this point is making him a weaker candidate for the general election. While I felt Newt had a good night, he is not electable, and the rest of the field sincerely should have dropped out by now. The Obama campaign will be able to save a ton of money in the general election simply by using the ads that Romney's rivals are currently creating.

Nope, can't say that yet. As much as you liberals would love to see that waffling moderate in the White House, he's not the republican candidate yet. It's to early yet to say. There's been one caucus and one primary, that is not far enough through the process to pick a winner yet. And "conservatives" do NOT like Romney. Iowa doesn't have a conservative majority and neither did NH, so he's been on a cake walk so far. We'll see how he fairs when we hit some conservative majority states. No doubt he's going to have a rougher go of it. So no, no one can say it's going to be Romney just yet. My guess is Gingrich is going to gain steam and knock Romney out, and yes, Gingrich would beat the kenyan in November like a red headed step child. It would be a land slide. Well... Bubba the town dog catcher would beat obama.

Last edited:

Nope, can't say that yet. As much as you liberals would love to see that waffling moderate in the White House, he's not the republican candidate yet. It's to early yet to say. There's been one caucus and one primary, that is not far enough through the process to pick a winner yet. And "conservatives" do NOT like Romney. Iowa doesn't have a conservative majority and neither did NH, so he's been on a cake walk so far. We'll see how he fairs when we hit some conservative majority states. No doubt he's going to have a rougher go of it. So no, no one can say it's going to be Romney just yet. My guess is Gingrich is going to gain steam and knock Romney out, and yes, Gingrich would beat the kenyan in November like a red headed step child. It would be a land slide. Well... Bubba the town dog catcher would beat obama.

And Gingrinch is not a waffler?

And Gingrinch is not a waffler?
Not like Romney, and he's a better conservative.

New Topics

Forum List

Back