Who Will Go To Heaven?

Originally posted by OCA
Wrong. Then why is there such thing as hell which is mentioned in most religions? Or better yet if we are all going to heaven why have religions at all?
The Jewish religion does not belive in hell.

Originally posted by OCA
I guess what i'm saying is if a clergyman is openly gay and as I believe unless he repents and changes his lifestyle he cannot enter heaven then how can he lead a flock, counseling them in the ways of the lord?

yeah - it makes for a dicey situation, doesn't it. I'd say that a person in a position to guide people to Christ, who is openly defying Christ, would have a LOT to answer for when they meet face to face.

Originally posted by Big D
The Jewish religion does not belive in hell.

Man thats awesome for you guys! You can trample over anybody, screw all the pounani you want and party like there is no tommorrow because you're going to heaven right? LMAO

Originally posted by OCA
Man thats awesome for you guys! You can trample over anybody, screw all the pounani you want and party like there is no tommorrow because you're going to heaven right? LMAO
Just as you don't know about different races, you don't know about different religions.

Originally posted by OCA

Brother - don't get into a penis-measuring contest...this thread, apart from the 'trying to trip up a Christian' slant it started with, has taken a very positive slant. :)

Don't let that guy/gal? ruin things.

Okay, let's strip the hypothetical situation of its presumed Christian context and look at it in purely spiritual terms. There, we can readily see that both are too absorbed in the external aspects of what they call "reality" - sex, money, lifestyle, etc. - to even begin a dialog with their true inner selves. Moreover, neither seems to be aware that such an entity exists or would know where to begin even if they were aware of its existence, much less has the least interest in making the prolonged and concerted effort to do so over the course of a lifetime. Therefore, neither will ever be able to pass through the proverbial eye of the needle.

Originally posted by wonderwench
I am not going to comment until after a few others have stated their opinions.

WW,

My comments are about the same as Darin's. It is up to God to judge who goes to heaven or hell. It is clear that both John and Bob are sinners. If Bob is really repentant, I would think that his behavior would change over time, even slightly. But even if not, if he is truly repantant, God is faithful to forgive.

Darin said it already, but God's grace is not dependent on our actions. We can look at someone like John and say "Man, what a great guy." But God does not determine our salvation based on our actions; otherwise, who could measure up?

Originally posted by dmp
Brother - don't get into a penis-measuring contest...this thread, apart from the 'trying to trip up a Christian' slant it started with, has taken a very positive slant. :)

Don't let that guy/gal? ruin things.

Correct, I should let the evil pass.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
WW,

My comments are about the same as Darin's. It is up to God to judge who goes to heaven or hell. It is clear that both John and Bob are sinners. If Bob is really repentant, I would think that his behavior would change over time, even slightly. But even if not, if he is truly repantant, God is faithful to forgive.

Darin said it already, but God's grace is not dependent on our actions. We can look at someone like John and say "Man, what a great guy." But God does not determine our salvation based on our actions; otherwise, who could measure up?

I love you Jeff - your words and friendship are a great encouragement to me. Thanks for your comments.

- d

Originally posted by Zhukov
Neither.

Heaven was a lie conceived by people scared of death in order to comfort themselves late at night, then abused by those seeking power over others.

:p: :laugh: :funnyface

Wasn't 'Hell' originally a banishment of sorts, in Aramaic? And through translation became a 'Place'. or does the bible mention exactly what it means by 'hell'? And for those who know the Bible better than I do (most of you) what's with god condoning slavery? And rape? Was he 'in a different place' back then? Or is that his will?

The threat of hell has become a excellent way to collect money from weak minded Christians.

Originally posted by Scourge
And for those who know the Bible better than I do (most of you) what's with god condoning slavery?

Contemporary slavery was condoned, but with the caveat that if your slave ran away you weren't allowed to go after them. Therefore, one treated their slave well enough that they wouldn't want to leave. The type of slavery that existed in the pre-Civil War south was not condoned.

Hell...

The word 'hell' comes from the Aramaic "Gehenna," which comes from the Valley of Hinnom. This was a valley south of Jerusalem where refuse and trash was taken to be burned. It is also a place where the Israelites, in their wandering from God's law, sacrificed children to a foreign god named Molech. Christ used the word 'gehenna' numerous times to suggest a place of punishment where evil/wicked people would spend eternity. Obviously, the use of this word to its contemporary listeners would conjure up images of a continuously burning (not to mention stinking) fire.
I don't think Christ used this word on accident. In John's revelation, he describes a "lake of fire" where all the unsaved people in the world go. It is clear from Scripture that hell is a very real place, just like heaven is.

As far as condoning rape, I would like to see the passage you are talking about. God does not condone any sex outside of marriage.

Forum List

Back