Who was the greatest American to you and why?

John F. Kennedy
JFK fell victim to one of the classic blunders...

No idea what you like to say - and no idea why you like to discuss with me about what. I was for example always convinced Mr. Charles Chaplin was one of the greatest US-Americans too - but the USA decided McCarthy is greater and he was "only" a Brit.

Last edited:
s-l300.jpg

Nikola-Tesla.jpg

~S~

John F. Kennedy

No idea what you like to say - and no idea why you like to discuss with me about what. I was for example always convinced Mr. Charles Chaplin was one of the greatest US-Americans too - but the USA decided McCarthy is greater and he was "only" a Brit.

Classic Blunder..."Never get involved in a land war in Asia". JFK fell for it.

Serious answer? George Washington. Without him we would not have succeeded in becoming the United States.

Real answer? Liberace. For obvious reasons.

The best American I ever knew was an Italian immigrant.

When I was 14 and put into foster all I wanted to do was get out of that house. My foster parents didn't give a rat's ass if I was there or not.

I went into his restaurant and applied for a job at 14. I was too young but he let me work and earn a paycheck so I could take care of myself. I saved every bit of money I earned but since I couldn't open a bank account by myself at 14 he acted as my banker. By the time I was 16 I was working full time for him and saving everything I could because I knew I would need to show I could fend for myself if I wanted to be emancipated at 17.

He also rented a room to me over the restaurant so I could have a legal address. He testified at my emancipation hearing as well and it was mostly because of him that I was granted adult status at 17

He was a good man who looked out for me when I needed it most

Tell us who was the greatest American to you and why?

Billy Graham.

He gave Christian evangelists a good name. He believed what he said and he lived it out. He helped fight racism with MLK and was instrumental in breaking through the Red Wall as he traveled to Russia to evangelize the world. Everyone knew he was genuine, and everyone saw the power of God in his life, which is why world leaders across the globe sought him out for advice and prayer.

But as with all people, there comes a cross roads in terms of what we believe. One such night came for Billy on a cold snowy night in North Carolina as he was out walking an talking with God. He was struggling with those who questioned the veracity of the Bible, people who had various clever arguments to plant doubt in his mind. So there he was as he placed his Bible on a tree stump, looked up to heaven and declared to God that although he had some doubt, he was choosing to believe........

And the rest is history. Had he not taken that leap of faith, none of us would even know who Billy Graham was.

John F. Kennedy

Classic Blunder..."Never get involved in a land war in Asia". JFK fell for it.

The problem of the war in Vietnam was not to start this war - after you had learned a short time ago in Korea what the murderous "humanity" of the Soviets was able to do. The problem was to end this war. And it made the USA to one of the greatest nations of the world, when your people decided you do not want to do this war any longer, because it makes no sense anymore to wipe out the people, which you liked to make free. You - the people of the USA - stopped this way after you found out this way is wrong. You stopped the automatisms which made you sick. This was an unbelieveable victory of the democratic power of the people of the USA. But this makes John F. Kennedy not more little. The spirit of John F. Kennedy changed the world.

Last edited:
The Greatest American- huh- greatest in what terms? It has to be a long list, that "greatest" person- since our inception there have been many Individuals who have contributed to the betterment- depending on the Individual perception of better- the one we knew/know? Personally, or through reading about them? (I especially enjoyed Bluesman's [sp?] story about a regular guy, an Individual, who actually left his space better [defined by him not the gov't] than he found it through his own efforts, not the groups)There have been Individuals vilified who were actually pretty dang good at what they did- many consider them criminal, but looking from a different perspective they actually were "great" at what they did and they were American- from what I've read I have a great deal of admiration for many Individuals- I despise the *groups* regardless of their stripe- has anyone noticed that every depiction and thought about the greatest, just happens to be an Individual- so, why the clamor to belong to a group? I haven't seen a group mentioned in this thread- I wonder why that is?
The long list has to include everyone who does his thing, everyday, according to the rules, which are constantly being changed to obstruct his efforts by the "groups"- sometimes it's the guy who finds a loop hole in the rules and uses it to his advantage- he should be applauded and lauded as a hero-

Forum List

Back