Who Was Rosa Parks Again.....?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
On this day, July 16,1854...

24-year old African-American schoolteacher Elizabeth Jennings boarded a bus at Pearl and Chatham on her way to church. Told by the driver to get off, she refused and was removed by the police. She sued the bus company - a first by an African –American, an won $500 (the court cut her award to $225).

She was thus instrumental in integrating the bus system of New York City- which had the nations’ largest African-American population at the time, and performed this over a hundred years before the Montgomery Bus Boycott and Rosa Parks (arrested December 1, 1955).

She was successfully represented by a smart 21-year old lawyer, Chester Arthur, who would go on to become the 21st president of the United States.

Another 'first' for the Big Apple!

24-year old African-American schoolteacher Elizabeth Jennings boarded a bus at Pearl and Chatham on her way to church. Told by the driver to get off, she refused and was removed by the police. She sued the bus company - a first by an African –American, an won $500 (the court cut her award to $225).

She was thus instrumental in integrating the bus system of New York City- which had the nations’ largest African-American population at the time, and performed this over a hundred years before the Montgomery Bus Boycott and Rosa Parks (arrested December 1, 1955).

She was successfully represented by a smart 21-year old lawyer, Chester Arthur, who would go on to become the 21st president of the United States.

We had buses in 1854??

We had buses in 1854??

In the early 19th century, there were two common modes of public transportation: omnibuses and streetcars, both pulled by horses. New York's first bus route was probably on 4th Avenue in 1831. By the 1850s, urban development in Manhattan stretched to 59th Street and there were streetcar tracks on most of the major avenues, from First to Eighth. Omnibuses were cheaper; streetcars were bigger, more comfortable, and moved on fixed tracks.

But in the 1830s and early 1840s, blacks couldn't use public transportation if any white passenger or the driver objected. Drivers carried whips and used them to keep blacks off. Threats of legal retaliation were laughed at.
Elizabeth Jennings Graham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I always thought it was odd that Rosa Parks was elevated to such a high status just for being a bystander (bysitter?) in the Civil Rights movement. Did she do anything else besides get arrested?

I always thought it was odd that Rosa Parks was elevated to such a high status just for being a bystander (bysitter?) in the Civil Rights movement. Did she do anything else besides get arrested?

only takes a spark

only takes a spark

so the answer is basically no? she was just at the right time and place? and now she is in every american history book. for sitting?

Rosa Parks is a recipient of the Congressional Gold medal

the highest civilian honor bestowed by the United States Congress.

Efforts to diminish and degrade her via poorly worded history here defile this honor, not only for Rosa, but for all who stand awarded this

so what this thread boils down to is simply more hate, from the oppressive hearts of those who claim to be American, while construing rationale to discredit those bright lights who have made America the land of the free

Who Was Rosa Parks Again.....?

Efforts to diminish and degrade her via poorly worded history here defile this honor, not only for Rosa, but for all who stand awarded this

so what this thread boils down to is simply more hate, from the oppressive hearts of those who claim to be American, while construing rationale to discredit those bright lights who have made America the land of the free

rosa_parks.jpg

Last edited:

Here we see the kind of post by a back-bencher who cares not about the meaing of the subject about which he post, but rather cries out for relevance, for attention, for the slimmest of opportunities to participate... which he shows no ability to do!

An 'ooo- I know something, too..." post.

"Efforts to diminish and degrade her ..."

This OP was, of course, neither.

"... from the oppressive hearts of those who claim to be American,..."
And the technique of this dolt is one which centers on raising ones' assumed status by tearing down another...the 'zero-sum' view of human interaction.

Jerk.

To review,
1...the title of the OP was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the historic nature of efforts by "24-year old African-American schoolteacher Elizabeth Jennings" ...

2. who was racially identical to Rosa Parks, performing the same singular act...

3. but far younger...half the age, and there for less able to judge the results of her actions,

4. and far braver, in that she took said action in a time and place that nine years later would see riots and blacks hung from lamp-posts...

5. and whose actions should more properly have been awarded metals and historicity than Ms.Parks.

Instead, this syphlitic idiot finds some sort of effort to " diminish and degrade her via poorly worded history here defile this honor,..." evincing no connection with reading comprehension, the English language, or reality.

Both black, same act, but a hundred years earlier!

I can't decide whether you post was heavier on 'malicious' or on 'stupid.'

Retract or reword!

it's easy to hit a nerve when one projects such darkness of heart on the 'net PC

perhaps you should consider the vunderable position you pose when you do so eh?

~S~

it's easy to hit a nerve when one projects such darkness of heart on the 'net PC

perhaps you should consider the vunderable position you pose when you do so eh?

~S~

Again you cling to a supposed 'darkness of heart ' where you were unable to show naught but your own darkness of intellect...

I notice you didn't address the point of my response, that you know nothing, that you attempted to attack what is a paean to one black heroine as though it was an attack on another.

Further, I exposed your reason as a desperate cry for relevance...none that you deserve.

Now, you simply attempt to cloud the issue where one of a higher nature would apologize for the error...

Again, I challenge you to either retract, or show how awarding Elizabeth Jennings her just due is debasing Rosa Parks.

Should you be unable to do so, you will be exposed for the idiot that I know you to be.

She wasn't lynched.

Back then such non-events for Blacks who wouldn't play by the rules were rather uncommon.

Hence her heroic status.

Who here would stand on an L.A. street corner, in gangland territory, and refuse to leave because you're an American citizen and have every right to be there? To me that's the kinda ballz Parks exhibited. Of course you'd get whacked rather than arrested, but you get the idea.

Here we see the kind of post by a back-bencher who cares not about the meaing of the subject about which he post, but rather cries out for relevance, for attention, for the slimmest of opportunities to participate... which he shows no ability to do!

And the technique of this dolt is one which centers on raising ones' assumed status by tearing down another...the 'zero-sum' view of human interaction.

Jerk.

To review,
1...the title of the OP was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the historic nature of efforts by "24-year old African-American schoolteacher Elizabeth Jennings" ...

2. who was racially identical to Rosa Parks, performing the same singular act...

3. but far younger...half the age, and there for less able to judge the results of her actions,

4. and far braver, in that she took said action in a time and place that nine years later would see riots and blacks hung from lamp-posts...

5. and whose actions should more properly have been awarded metals and historicity than Ms.Parks.

Instead, this syphlitic idiot finds some sort of effort to " diminish and degrade her via poorly worded history here defile this honor,..." evincing no connection with reading comprehension, the English language, or reality.

Retract or reword!

Both were admirable and courageous acts. One led to the integration of the NYC Transportation system the other to the integration of the south. It is amazing that 100 years later, the South still hadn't figured out the ethics and morality of an integrated transit system

Rosa Parks did more than sit on a bus. She risked her life for what she did and had to be protected. Many blacks of that era lost their lives for similar acts of defiance

Jerk.

To review,

Retract or reword!

Both were admirable and courageous acts. One led to the integration of the NYC Transportation system the other to the integration of the south. It is amazing that 100 years later, the South still hadn't figured out the ethics and morality of an integrated transit system

Rosa Parks did more than sit on a bus. She risked her life for what she did and had to be protected. Many blacks of that era lost their lives for similar acts of defiance

I hope you are not suggesting that Ms. Jennings what not in at least the same danger...
first, the driver and white passengers regularly beat prospective black passengers...and the lawlessness of the place and times is amply documented in, for example Luc Sante's book "Low Life,"...

I believe that "Gangs of New York" was based on said book.

in contrast Oct 12th might

In contrast Oct 12th might well be called Leif Erikson day PC, and it might be shown that indeed Leif captain'd lesser ships toward what was a far more unknown, and thus dangerous cause

but it is not, and it's not because his timing wasn't right for the world, the 'spark' was Columbus' the same as it was Rosa's , which whoever wrote this has obviously set aside in her pursuit of vauge comparissions that degrade said phenomenon

malicous are those who would contort history, which is very much based on the feel of the time, to such ends....

~S~

Last edited:

Jerk.

To review,

Retract or reword!

I hope you are not suggesting that Ms. Jennings what not in at least the same danger...
first, the driver and white passengers regularly beat prospective black passengers...and the lawlessness of the place and times is amply documented in, for example Luc Sante's book "Low Life,"...

I believe that "Gangs of New York" was based on said book.

Hence my opening statement "Both were admirable and courageous acts"

I only highlighted Rosa in response to the "She only sat on a bus" posts

in contrast Oct 12th might

In contrast Oct 12th might well be called Leif Erikson day PC, and it might be shown that indeed Leif captain'd lesser ships toward what was a far more unknown, and thus dangerous cause

but it is not, and it's not because his timing wasn't right for the world, the 'spark' was Columbus' the same as it was Rosa's , which whoever wrote this has obviously set aside in her pursuit of vauge comparissions that degrade said phenomenon

malicous are those who would contort history, which is very much based on the feel of the time, to such ends....

~S~

Here in Brooklyn the law is enforced with respect to those disgusting pigs who walk their dogs on other folk's lawns and amble off without cleaning up the mess.

Said disgusting pigs would include you, who made the mess earlier in the thread, casting aspirsions which you have yet to clean up.

"Again, I challenge you to either retract, or show how awarding Elizabeth Jennings her just due is debasing Rosa Parks."

Man up.

Forum List

Back