Who was first Republican President; first Democrat president?

Brutus

Feb 17, 2011
Jefferson founded the Republican Party in 1794, to stand against the Federalist Party, and for freedom and liberty from government both of which he thought were greatly threatened at the time.

So, when Jefferson became president in 1800 he was the first Republican President. He stood for what modern Republicans stand for.

The first Democrat president, i.e., a president who stood against freedom and liberty, was the monarchically inspired Washington( nominally a Federalist) or the
communistically inspired FDR( nominally a Democrat).

Do you agree?

No. Parties are what they are.

The modern Republican Party originated in mid-1850s and Lincoln was the first Republican elected to the presidency.

The modern Democratic Party can be traced back to supporters of Andrew Jackson.

I would say the Jacksonian spirit (focused on the interests of the common man) is definitely still the driving force of the Democratic Party.

Jefferson founded the Republican Party in 1794, to stand against the Federalist Party, and for freedom and liberty from government both of which he thought were greatly threatened at the time.

So, when Jefferson became president in 1800 he was the first Republican President. He stood for what modern Republicans stand for.

The first Democrat president, i.e., a president who stood against freedom and liberty, was the monarchically inspired Washington( nominally a Federalist) or the

Do you agree?

Sorry, but no. Thomas Jefferson, according to the White House website among other sources, was the leader of the Democratic-Republican Party, which was a completely different organization from the modern-day Republican Party. They DID oppose the Federalist Party, that much is true.

Thomas Jefferson | The White House

The modern-day Republican Party began as a protest against the Kansas-Nebraska Act in 1854. When the Whig Party died out, the Republican Party essentially took their place on the national stage. The first candidate from the Republican Party to be elected to the Presidency was Abraham Lincoln in 1860, which is the reason that many in the Republican Party still refer to it as "the party of Lincoln".

Republican Presidents of the U.S.
Republican Party - Conservapedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_(United_States)

(Yes, I know, I don't normally accept Wikipedia as a source on this board, but this isn't a controversial question or a hot-button topic.)

George Washington didn't really have a political party affiliation, because he despised the entire idea of parties. And the Democrat Party didn't exist back then. It arose in the 1830s out of the split in and death of the original Democrat-Republican Party of Thomas Jefferson, and the first President to be elected from the newly-formed Democrat Party was Andrew Jackson.

Democratic Party: West's Encyclopedia of American Law (Full Article) from Answers.com

Cecilie: Sorry, but no. Thomas Jefferson, according to the White House website among other sources, was the leader of the Democratic-Republican Party, which was a completely different organization from the modern-day Republican Party. They DID oppose the Federalist Party, that much is true.

Brutus: of course that is the point. The liberals are hiding the truth from you. If you look at newspapers, speeches, letters, and the Congressional Record from the period you will be amazed to discover that Jefferson founded the Republican Party in 1794 and the term Democratic -Republican was never used. And, just like modern Republicans, the entire purpose of Jefferson's new Party was to promote freedom by diminishing government. Welcome to your first lesson in American History.

Cecilie: Thomas Jefferson | The White House

The modern-day Republican Party began as a protest against the Kansas-Nebraska Act in 1854. When the Whig Party died out, the Republican Party essentially took their place on the national stage. The first candidate from the Republican Party to be elected to the Presidency was Abraham Lincoln in 1860, which is the reason that many in the Republican Party still refer to it as "the party of Lincoln".

Brutus: notice the way they say, modern Republican, to ignore the original Republican Party that Jefferson founded. Liberals or Democrats love to use the term: Democratic-Republican because it implies they have a connection to the founding and American principles, when really they don't and so belong in Cuba.

Cecelie: Republican Presidents of the U.S.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republi...(United_States)
(Yes, I know, I don't normally accept Wikipedia as a source on this board, but this isn't a controversial question or a hot-button topic.)

Brutus: and now that you've had your first real lesson in American History you know better. It is my honor to serve you.

Cecelie: George Washington didn't really have a political party affiliation, because he despised the entire idea of parties.

Brutus: OMG!! GW and Hamilton were Federalists down to their shorts. GW was happy to see Republicans imprisioned under the Alien and Sedition Acts.

Cecilie: And the Democrat Party didn't exist back then. It arose in the 1830s out of the split in and death of the original Democrat-Republican Party of Thomas Jefferson, and the first President to be elected from the newly-formed Democrat Party was Andrew Jackson.

Brutus: in terms of philosophy the Federalist Party of Washington, Hamilton and Adams was Democratic in that it stood for government and against freedom.

Last edited:
Please see my response to Cecilie for your first lesson in American History. It is my honor to help a liberal.

Do you agree?

Actually, Jefferson's Party was the Democrat-Republicans...shortened for a while to Republicans then to Democrats and completely revamped under Jackson. The Federalists were the Conservatives under Hamilton and the Democrat-Republicans were the Liberals under Jefferson.

Do you agree?

Our teachers are overpaid

Imagine putting out a product like Brutus...I demand my money back

Do you agree?

Woodrow Wilson was no friend of freedom and liberty.

Bodeca: Actually, Jefferson's Party was the Democrat-Republicans...

Brutus: wrong wrong wrong; of course you can't prove it with speech, letter, ballot, or newspaper from 1790's!!! sorry!!

Bodeca: shortened for a while to Republicans then to Democrats and completely revamped under Jackson.

Brutus: sorry never shortened which is why you offer no proof. Welcome to your first lesson in American History.

Bodeca: The Federalists were the Conservatives under Hamilton

Brutus: of course that is very very stupid given that the Federalists wanted a powerful federal government while the Republicans were 100% opposed!!

Bodeca: and the Democrat-Republicans were the Liberals under Jefferson.

Brutus: actually Jefferson was 100% all about freedom or liberty from government. Again, welcome to your first real lesson in American History.

Rightwinger: Our teachers are overpaid

Brutus: of course the liberal lacks the IQ to specificially challenge anything I"ve said. Its easier to pretend you're smart than to demonstrate it, isn't it?

Brutus: of course the liberal lacks the IQ to specificially challenge anything I"ve said. Its easier to pretend you're smart than to demonstrate it, isn't it?

Google is your friend...

Every time that Brutus posts.....an angel loses her wings

Bodeca: Actually, Jefferson's Party was the Democrat-Republicans...

Brutus: wrong wrong wrong; of course you can't prove it with speech, letter, ballot, or newspaper from 1790's!!! sorry!!

Bodeca: shortened for a while to Republicans then to Democrats and completely revamped under Jackson.

Brutus: sorry never shortened which is why you offer no proof. Welcome to your first lesson in American History.

Bodeca: The Federalists were the Conservatives under Hamilton

Brutus: of course that is very very stupid given that the Federalists wanted a powerful federal government while the Republicans were 100% opposed!!

Bodeca: and the Democrat-Republicans were the Liberals under Jefferson.

Brutus: actually Jefferson was 100% all about freedom or liberty from government. Again, welcome to your first real lesson in American History.

He also believed that government could do things to help the poor.

I am conscious that an equal division of property is impracticable, but the consequences of this enormous inequality producing so much misery to the bulk of mankind, legislators cannot invent too many devices for subdividing property, only taking care to let their subdivisions go hand in hand with the natural affections of the human mind. The descent of property of every kind therefore to all the children, or to all the brothers and sisters, or other relations in equal degree, is a politic measure and a practicable one. Another means of silently lessening the inequality of property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions or property in geometrical progression as they rise.

To James Madison, Paris, September 20, 1785

From Revolution to Reconstruction: Presidents: Thomas Jefferson: Letters: Property and Natural Right

Cecilie: Sorry, but no. Thomas Jefferson, according to the White House website among other sources, was the leader of the Democratic-Republican Party, which was a completely different organization from the modern-day Republican Party. They DID oppose the Federalist Party, that much is true.

Brutus: of course that is the point. The liberals are hiding the truth from you. If you look at newspapers, speeches, letters, and the Congressional Record from the period you will be amazed to discover that Jefferson founded the Republican Party in 1794 and the term Democratic -Republican was never used. And, just like modern Republicans, the entire purpose of Jefferson's new Party was to promote freedom by diminishing government. Welcome to your first lesson in American History.

Cecilie: Thomas Jefferson | The White House

Brutus: notice the way they say, modern Republican, to ignore the original Republican Party that Jefferson founded. Liberals or Democrats love to use the term: Democratic-Republican because it implies they have a connection to the founding and American principles, when really they don't and so belong in Cuba.

Cecelie: Republican Presidents of the U.S.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republi...(United_States)

Brutus: and now that you've had your first real lesson in American History you know better. It is my honor to serve you.

Cecelie: George Washington didn't really have a political party affiliation, because he despised the entire idea of parties.

Brutus: OMG!! GW and Hamilton were Federalists down to their shorts. GW was happy to see Republicans imprisioned under the Alien and Sedition Acts.

Cecilie: And the Democrat Party didn't exist back then. It arose in the 1830s out of the split in and death of the original Democrat-Republican Party of Thomas Jefferson, and the first President to be elected from the newly-formed Democrat Party was Andrew Jackson.

Brutus: in terms of philosophy the Federalist Party of Washington, Hamilton and Adams was Democratic in that it stood for government and against freedom.

Is there something difficult about using the quote function that I'm unaware of? Seems to be working fine to me.

Clean it up.

Please see my response to Cecilie for your first lesson in American History. It is my honor to help a liberal.

You taught a lesson in how to violate basic message board courtesy, and one in how to be a conspiracy theorist playing at "Cleverest Guy in the Room". American History? Not so much.

You taught a lesson in how to violate basic message board courtesy, and one in how to be a conspiracy theorist playing at "Cleverest Guy in the Room". American History? Not so much.

He called you a liberal....welcome aboard, Cecilie...we've got cookies.

Okay, it's bad enough when you invent conversations with real people using partial or edited quotes. It's another thing when you waste time and screen space to invent wholly imaginary conversations just so you can say, "Look how brilliant I would sound if a real person were to use the arguments I really WISH they would." If you want to talk to the voice in your echoing, vacuous skull, kindly do it on your own time.

Last edited:
Brutus: of course the thread is designed to teach liberals that Jefferson was the first Republican; he held the same views regarding freedom and liberty from government as modern Republicans, and that liberal or Democratic ideas have no place in the American tradition despite the dishonest attempt to associate with Jefferson, and the American founding, through the name, "Democrat-Republican."

Now you know why liberals, not conservatives, spied for Stalin.

Brutus: of course the thread is designed to teach liberals that Jefferson was the first Republican; he held the same views regarding freedom and liberty from government as modern Republicans, and that liberal or Democratic ideas have no place in the American tradition despite the dishonest attempt to associate with Jefferson, and the American founding, through the name, "Democrat-Republican."

Now you know why liberals, not conservatives, spied for Stalin.

No, the thread is intended to show everyone how clever you are, "Oooh, look, he figured out something new and unique that no one else saw", and fails miserably. It teaches no one anything except that you like to conflate opinions with facts.

The FACT is that neither the Democrat nor the Republican Party existed in Jefferson's time. There was a completely separate and different party, the Democratic-Republican Party, which no longer exists and to which both the Democrats and the Republicans made reference when they chose their names for political calculations of their own. Trying to claim Thomas Jefferson for one or the other modern party is stupid and childish.

If you wish to try to make an argument that one or the other party is more similar in views and attitudes to Thomas Jefferson than the other, then do that. But stop wasting everyone's time with this nutty and remarkably UNclever attempt to associate him with something he never had contact with. You might as well try to claim a modern-day political affiliation for Napoleon or Jesus Christ or Cro-Magnon Man.

Forum List

Back