Who was first Republican President; first Democrat president?

Discussion in 'History' started by Brutus, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Jefferson founded the Republican Party in 1794, to stand against the Federalist Party, and for freedom and liberty from government both of which he thought were greatly threatened at the time.

So, when Jefferson became president in 1800 he was the first Republican President. He stood for what modern Republicans stand for.

The first Democrat president, i.e., a president who stood against freedom and liberty, was the monarchically inspired Washington( nominally a Federalist) or the
    communistically inspired FDR( nominally a Democrat).

Do you agree?

2. Polk

Polk Classic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +568
    No. Parties are what they are.

The modern Republican Party originated in mid-1850s and Lincoln was the first Republican elected to the presidency.

The modern Democratic Party can be traced back to supporters of Andrew Jackson.

I would say the Jacksonian spirit (focused on the interests of the common man) is definitely still the driving force of the Democratic Party.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,395
    Sorry, but no. Thomas Jefferson, according to the White House website among other sources, was the leader of the Democratic-Republican Party, which was a completely different organization from the modern-day Republican Party. They DID oppose the Federalist Party, that much is true.

Thomas Jefferson | The White House

The modern-day Republican Party began as a protest against the Kansas-Nebraska Act in 1854. When the Whig Party died out, the Republican Party essentially took their place on the national stage. The first candidate from the Republican Party to be elected to the Presidency was Abraham Lincoln in 1860, which is the reason that many in the Republican Party still refer to it as "the party of Lincoln".

Republican Presidents of the U.S.
    Republican Party - Conservapedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_(United_States)

(Yes, I know, I don't normally accept Wikipedia as a source on this board, but this isn't a controversial question or a hot-button topic.)

George Washington didn't really have a political party affiliation, because he despised the entire idea of parties. And the Democrat Party didn't exist back then. It arose in the 1830s out of the split in and death of the original Democrat-Republican Party of Thomas Jefferson, and the first President to be elected from the newly-formed Democrat Party was Andrew Jackson.

Democratic Party: West's Encyclopedia of American Law (Full Article) from Answers.com

4. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Cecilie: Sorry, but no. Thomas Jefferson, according to the White House website among other sources, was the leader of the Democratic-Republican Party, which was a completely different organization from the modern-day Republican Party. They DID oppose the Federalist Party, that much is true.

Brutus: of course that is the point. The liberals are hiding the truth from you. If you look at newspapers, speeches, letters, and the Congressional Record from the period you will be amazed to discover that Jefferson founded the Republican Party in 1794 and the term Democratic -Republican was never used. And, just like modern Republicans, the entire purpose of Jefferson's new Party was to promote freedom by diminishing government. Welcome to your first lesson in American History.

Cecilie: Thomas Jefferson | The White House

The modern-day Republican Party began as a protest against the Kansas-Nebraska Act in 1854. When the Whig Party died out, the Republican Party essentially took their place on the national stage. The first candidate from the Republican Party to be elected to the Presidency was Abraham Lincoln in 1860, which is the reason that many in the Republican Party still refer to it as "the party of Lincoln".

Brutus: notice the way they say, modern Republican, to ignore the original Republican Party that Jefferson founded. Liberals or Democrats love to use the term: Democratic-Republican because it implies they have a connection to the founding and American principles, when really they don't and so belong in Cuba.

Cecelie: Republican Presidents of the U.S.
    Republican Party - Conservapedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republi...(United_States)
    (Yes, I know, I don't normally accept Wikipedia as a source on this board, but this isn't a controversial question or a hot-button topic.)

Brutus: and now that you've had your first real lesson in American History you know better. It is my honor to serve you.

Cecelie: George Washington didn't really have a political party affiliation, because he despised the entire idea of parties.

Brutus: OMG!! GW and Hamilton were Federalists down to their shorts. GW was happy to see Republicans imprisioned under the Alien and Sedition Acts.

Cecilie: And the Democrat Party didn't exist back then. It arose in the 1830s out of the split in and death of the original Democrat-Republican Party of Thomas Jefferson, and the first President to be elected from the newly-formed Democrat Party was Andrew Jackson.

Brutus: in terms of philosophy the Federalist Party of Washington, Hamilton and Adams was Democratic in that it stood for government and against freedom.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  5. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Please see my response to Cecilie for your first lesson in American History. It is my honor to help a liberal.

6. bodecea

bodecea Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,574
    Actually, Jefferson's Party was the Democrat-Republicans...shortened for a while to Republicans then to Democrats and completely revamped under Jackson. The Federalists were the Conservatives under Hamilton and the Democrat-Republicans were the Liberals under Jefferson.

7. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,523
    Our teachers are overpaid

Imagine putting out a product like Brutus...I demand my money back

8. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,604
    Woodrow Wilson was no friend of freedom and liberty.

9. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Bodeca: Actually, Jefferson's Party was the Democrat-Republicans...

Brutus: wrong wrong wrong; of course you can't prove it with speech, letter, ballot, or newspaper from 1790's!!! sorry!!

Bodeca: shortened for a while to Republicans then to Democrats and completely revamped under Jackson.

Brutus: sorry never shortened which is why you offer no proof. Welcome to your first lesson in American History.

Bodeca: The Federalists were the Conservatives under Hamilton

Brutus: of course that is very very stupid given that the Federalists wanted a powerful federal government while the Republicans were 100% opposed!!

Bodeca: and the Democrat-Republicans were the Liberals under Jefferson.

Brutus: actually Jefferson was 100% all about freedom or liberty from government. Again, welcome to your first real lesson in American History.

10. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,998
    Mr Clean: Brutus, try using the Quote function.