Who Wants to Kill Grandma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to lunch, but you kind folks might find this useful:

"Medicare," Chapter 12, Cato Handbook for Policymakers, 7th Edition (2009).

Congress should
  • establish, in all parts of Medicare, premiums proportionate to lifetime earnings;
  • allow seniors to opt out of Medicare completely, without losing Social Security benefits;
  • give Medicare enrollees a means-tested, risk-adjusted voucher with which they may purchase the health plan of their choice;
  • limit the growth of Medicare vouchers to the level of inflation;
  • allow workers to save their Medicare taxes in a personal, inheritable account dedicated to retirement health expenses;
  • fund any ‘‘transition costs’’ by reducing other government spending, not by raising taxes.

So we are not killing grandma by destroying Medicare?

crap

Now I gotta call my mother-in-law back and try and apologise. :(

What if they phased out Medicare but enabled adult children (what an oxymoron, eh?) to put their parents (over a certain age . . .) onto their (the adult childrens) health care plan, much like adult children can keep their adult children on their health care plan till the kids are 26? Just thinking out loud here . . . .

And the kids will pay for it how? Those rates are going to be astronomical and you know it. The vast majority of healthcare costs come in the retirement years. This is why Medicare costs are going through the roof. Expected healthcare costs will be around $200,000 per person per retiree. Add on administrative costs, and the insurance companies would need to charge around $20,000 per person per year just to break even. Basically, you would have a very large portion of retirees going without health insurance because they couldn't afford it. Now with the Republican plan, I believe they would pay $15,000, leaving the rest to the individual, so the cost would not be that much. However, the $20,000 figure covers cost only with no room for any profit, so that figure is low. Also there will still be out of pocket costs to the retiree. And last of all, how will premiums be determined? Will there be exclusions or higher premiums for those with pre-existing conditions?

I think Zoom meant that as an: "we can also do" not as an instead of.

As is families still end up pitching in.

The only solution to the health care problem is to adopt a plan that has already had proven success in other nations. One that would cost less per capital with better results than we presently see in the US. So, whom do we have to look to for such a plan?

How about just about any of the other industrial nations.

The ones that are having riots cuz they ran out of money? Or the ones that have a 60% income tax?

Remember MA went for that stewpidity and they had to borrow almost $2Billion to keep it, and just it, going.

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back