Who wants a Palestinian state?

Report: Abbas rejected Olmert peace plan over refugees, safe passage

Print
Email
Text

Read more: Mahmoud Abbas, Haim Ramon, peace process, negotiations, final status

RAMALLAH, May 18 (JMCC) - Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas rejected a peace proposal of the Olmert administration over the issue of the number of refugees to be allowed to return and Palestinian control over a safe passage between Gaza and the West Bank, former Olmert aide Haim Ramon told a conference Monday.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, April 22, 2009. (AP Photo/Muhammed Muheisen)

Publications
Poll No. 67, January 2009 - Palestinian opinions after the Gaza War
Poll No. 68, June 2009 - Palestinian opinions towards the national dialogue in Cairo between Fateh and Hamas Movements
Poll No. 69 Part 1, October 2009 - Palestinian opinions on the Goldstone report and the upcoming elections

Background
Annapolis Conference
Cairo talks
Second Intifada

Resources

...Haim Ramon, who served as deputy premier under Ehud Olmert and was one of his trusted confidants, said on Monday at the Institute for National Security Studies conference that the Palestinians turned down Olmert’s offer in 2008 because of disagreements regarding the number of refugees to be allowed into Israel, and because of a Palestinian demand to control the “safe passage” that would have linked the Gaza Strip to the West Bank.

At the end of 2008, Olmert offered Abbas 93.5-to-93.7 percent of the West Bank, a one-to-one swap for most of the rest, and an arrangement whereby no one would have sovereignty over the “holy basin” surrounding Jerusalem’s Old City, but rather it would be administered by a consortium made up of the Israelis, Palestinians, Jordanians, Saudis and Americans.

Ramon revealed that in August 2008, he went to Amman to discuss the refuge issue with Abbas. “We wanted to permit a certain number of refugees into the country over a number of years, and they wanted a different number,” Ramon said.

Minister-without-Portfolio Bennie Begin had a far different take on why the Palestinians rejected Olmert’s offer, as well as that of then-prime minister Ehud Barak in 2000.

The Palestinian rejection of both offers, he said, had to do with “the refusal of the Palestinians to understand that Judaism, beyond just being a religion, is also a nationality. Their refusal to recognize this [Israel] as a Jewish state, like their refusal to recognize that the Temple stood on Mount Moriah, expresses their refusal to accept that we have a title to this land.”

They have no interest in a " Two State Solution" Their goal is to eventually annex " Israel proper" to " Palestine" which will happen with " Right of Return". Which is why a " Palestinian State" with Borders that they never accepted or " Right of Return" will not happen

The Palestinian rejection of both offers, he said, had to do with “the refusal of the Palestinians to understand that Judaism, beyond just being a religion, is also a nationality. Their refusal to recognize this [Israel] as a Jewish state, like their refusal to recognize that the Temple stood on Mount Moriah, expresses their refusal to accept that we have a title to this land.”

It's not a Palestinian problem, Judaism IS a religion and point blank is NOT a nationality. If it s a nationality then all Jews should fuck off to Israel. Saying it is a nationality is just another way of trying to justify a racist idea that Jews all own Israel and have more right to be there than the Arabs, which is total bollocks.

It's not a Palestinian problem, Judaism IS a religion and point blank is NOT a nationality. If it s a nationality then all Jews should fuck off to Israel. Saying it is a nationality is just another way of trying to justify a racist idea that Jews all own Israel and have more right to be there than the Arabs, which is total bollocks.
Then that's a palistanian problem, of course.

Israel having a Jewish majority with Arabs is " racist" but Abbas declaring " Palestine" be a NJA Country isn't RACIST? Typical racist Pro- Palestinian mentality. BTW.... FUCK OFF. :razz:

The "Palestinians" have been fighting for years to avoid becoming a state. To become a state would require accountability and responsibility.

Granny says if dey wanna be free an' independent - den let `em be free an' independent o' Uncle Sam's teat...
:cool:
Palestinian bid could put U.S. funding at risk
November 29th, 2012 - If, as expected, the United Nations General Assembly votes Thursday to upgrade the Palestinians to non-member observer status, it could put about $500 million in U.S. aid at stake - not to mention the $100 million in monthly tax revenues Israel is threatening to withhold.
The new status would fall short of triggering U.S. legislation that automatically cuts all U.S. aid to the Palestinian Authority and any programs in the Palestinian territories, as well as aid to any organizations that recognize Palestine as a state. That's because the non-member designation falls short of being a full member state, which would give Palestine full voting rights in the in the U.N. General Assembly. The United States is vehemently opposed to member-state status for the Palestinians that doesn't stem from a peace deal with Israel.

But while Congress isn't mandated to cut U.S. aid, that doesn't mean it won't. Various senators are already proposing language to the National Defense Authorization Act to cut assistance to the Palestinians by 50% and U.S. fees to the United Nations by the same amount, should the effort by the Palestinians to gain recognition as a non-member observer state succeed in the General Assembly. It would also cut by 20% U.S. aid to any country voting to approve such a move. A larger group of senators proposed cutting off all funding if the vote goes through. That threat was repeated Thursday morning in Washington. "The last thing we want to do is break a relationship between the Palestinians that is mutually beneficial. But the day that the Palestinians use their UN status to try to marginalize Israel in the international criminal court it will be clear to us that we are investing in an unreliable partner. We are broke," said Sen. Lindsey Graham.

Two congressional committees partly cut off funds in the wake of Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas' bid for statehood in the U.N. Security Council last year. The hold on the security aid was lifted, but about $200 million in U.S. humanitarian assistance is still blocked. Given that the vote is largely symbolic, Congress may not take that step. But should the Palestinians move to take action against Israel in the International Criminal Court, which a non-member state is entitled to do if the members agree, aid would almost certainly be cut off. This would leave the Palestinians in dire straits, strengthen Hamas and risk the collapse of Abbas and the Palestinian Authority, which could lead to renewed violence.

The vote will be seen as a diplomatic failure for the United States, which pressured the Palestinians against the move and lobbied hard with its international allies against voting for the measure. Its consequences will likely move the parties further away from the peace table. Not only has the Obama administration failed to forge a peace deal in its first term - something President Barack Obama pledged to do days after taking office - but whatever hopes Obama had of re-engaging in Mideast peacemaking during his second term will be close to impossible in the near term.

Palestinian bid could put U.S. funding at risk – CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs

nope----no reason for arab muslims to live in the jewish state--there are lots of arab muslim states-----there are even states so racist that they do not allow non muslims to be citizens

They have no interest in a " Two State Solution" Their goal is to eventually annex " Israel proper" to " Palestine" which will happen with " Right of Return". Which is why a " Palestinian State" with Borders that they never accepted or " Right of Return" will not happen

Israel already sits inside Palestine's international borders. How can Israel be annexed?

"PALESTINE" is simply an alternate name for JUDEA----
Judea is -----the ISRAEL/JUDEA of ancient times. There are
some muslims ----left over from the age of PILLAGE, MURDER AND RAPE----of the "ISLAMIC GLORIOUS AGE OF CONQUEST" who wish to form a separate "country" in the land of Palestine devoted to their own filth

('because agreed with the above)

I agree too----all muslims should FUCK OFF to saudi arabia where their "nabi" fucked' incessantly with little girls......etc

Israel already sits inside Palestine's international borders. How can Israel be annexed?

When you use the term 'Palestine' , it just makes you look more like a Nazi

Palestine is an alternate name for JUDEA which is actually the land of
JUDEA/ISRAEL The land recognized as "ISRAEL" being within the somewhat arbitary "greenline" -----is historically------ISRAEL----the land west of ISRAEL is JUDEA-------in sum they are also called THE LAND OF ISRAEL (Israel being JACOB----grandson of Abraham and father of 12 sons considered the ancestors of modern day jews)

Oooooo, you played the Nazi card.

Now I know you are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

A Palestinian State..........LMAO.........unicorns flying around is far more probable.

I laughed my balls off this am when I opened up DRUDGE and saw those Palestinians cheering behind Abbas. I think I saw Linus among them.........still waiting around for the Great Pumpkin!!!:D:D:D

Although NAZI is an apt term in describing the filth of YOU----it
has been rendered trite I propose a new term

ISLAMO ROMAN FASCIST FILTH

damn, sorry I forgot. The holocaust never happened, Nazis never existed and millions of Jews were not slaughtered. Forgive me please.

If you can show me a VALID map with Palestine on it, we can talk old man

damn, sorry I forgot. The holocaust never happened, Nazis never existed and millions of Jews were not slaughtered. Forgive me please.

If you can show me a VALID map with Palestine on it, we can talk old man

It doesn't matter. The Palestinians had nothing to do with it. It is irrelevant to this conflict.

I have been asking for a 1948 map of Israel for years. No luck yet.

Forum List

Back