who to vote out of office?

blindguy

Rookie
Jul 24, 2008
I'm from Missouri. Would someone please tell me who I have to vote out of office for passing a law requiring that all children in the state have an eye exam, and which eye doctors are contributing to their campaign. Next it will be colon screening requirements and IQ tests so that the children can be grouped into their special needs categories; aka stupid kids in with bad teachers and smart ones in with good teachers. I don't need the state telling me if my child needs glasses. I'm pretty sure I'm a better person to determine that. I was going to have my sons eyes examined next week. I just canceled the appointment. Now that some eye doctors got together and decided to find some new business buy purchasing some politicians instead of advertising, every child in Missouri with perfectly good vision will have to spend $50.00 that they probably don't have because they are trying to pay for gas. Oh yeah, by the way, most children don't need glasses until they're, oh, around 50. Now if they want to pass a law requiring all 50 year old students to have an eye exam, I would be all for that.

I'm from Missouri. Would someone please tell me who I have to vote out of office for passing a law requiring that all children in the state have an eye exam, and which eye doctors are contributing to their campaign. Next it will be colon screening requirements and IQ tests so that the children can be grouped into their special needs categories; aka stupid kids in with bad teachers and smart ones in with good teachers. I don't need the state telling me if my child needs glasses. I'm pretty sure I'm a better person to determine that. I was going to have my sons eyes examined next week. I just canceled the appointment. Now that some eye doctors got together and decided to find some new business buy purchasing some politicians instead of advertising, every child in Missouri with perfectly good vision will have to spend $50.00 that they probably don't have because they are trying to pay for gas. Oh yeah, by the way, most children don't need glasses until they're, oh, around 50. Now if they want to pass a law requiring all 50 year old students to have an eye exam, I would be all for that.

Vote them all out, and you can't go wrong :)

You have to check your kids' eyes every year anyway. Why would it bother you?

Seriously, not making fun. Just wondering.

BTW, my 10 year old son wears glasses for the blackboard and movies. But I might not have known he needed them if his eyes weren't checked. And when you do vote next time, you might want to think about people who believe in universal health coverage.

You have to check your kids' eyes every year anyway. Why would it bother you?

Seriously, not making fun. Just wondering.

BTW, my 10 year old son wears glasses for the blackboard and movies. But I might not have known he needed them if his eyes weren't checked. And when you do vote next time, you might want to think about people who believe in universal health coverage.

Just curious about other states, but here in Indiana kids eyes are checked in school for free. Where I teach they are checked in first, third and fifth grade.

(If further testing is needed for glasses then they sent a notice home to the parents to take the child to their personal eye doctor.)

Just curious about other states, but here in Indiana kids eyes are checked in school for free. Where I teach they are checked in first, third and fifth grade.

(If further testing is needed for glasses then they sent a notice home to the parents to take the child to their personal eye doctor.)

They did that here, too. But I'd have taken him for an annual check up anyway.

Well Jillian, you were going to have your motor vehicles serviced this year; why not have Uncle Sugar mandate a full tune up, fluids change, et cetera every 3 months?

Cost.

Very annoying.

When I was a kid in Pennsylvania, we got free eye exams in elementary school every year though (as I recall) about 5th grade

That should be, in my opinion, done by the schools.

When I was running a Syvlan Learning center we OFTEN discovered that kids could not SEE well enough to be able to read.

The other thing we checked for and found was OFTEN the problem was that kids had "auditory descrimination" problems.

They could hear, perfectly, but they couldn't descriminate between some sounds (usually vowels) so they could learn to read and spell properly.

These should be standard tests for all elmentary school children, free of charge, up to at least sixth grade.

Last edited:
Well Jillian, you were going to have your motor vehicles serviced this year; why not have Uncle Sugar mandate a full tune up, fluids change, et cetera every 3 months?

Cost.

And you see no difference in that, right?

You know, I always find an irony in the fact that the same people who try to control the moral choices made by others get all het up the minute someone tells them to put on a seatbelt or not smoke in a restaurant.

And you see no difference in that, right?

You know, I always find an irony in the fact that the same people who try to control the moral choices made by others get all het up the minute someone tells them to put on a seatbelt or not smoke in a restaurant.

Unsafe autos can kill people just as dead as a cigarette. Just where is the line where you want government to begin telling people what to do ?

Unsafe autos can kill people just as dead as a cigarette. Just where is the line where you want government to begin telling people what to do ?

Wherever we absolutely must do it to insure a reasonable degree of public safety?

Your mileage may vary depending on driving conditions, of course.

Reasonable people can disagree where that line should be drawn.

And there are safety standards for autos, too. Didn't Ralph Nader have something to do with that before he became a megalomaniac?

If you want to smoke, that's your business. But when you breathe the smoke at others, and impair THEIR health, that's their business and maybe government does have to step in.

BTW, I say that as a former smoker (thank you, thank you very much)who thinks the choice of whether a restaurant should be smoking or non-smoking should be up to the owner. I also recently learned that there are regulations in NY against smoking in public parks. I think that's the stupidest thing ever b/c they're outdoors.

But there ya go.

Forum List

Back