Who thinks religion has out lived it's purpose?

White knight said:
These kinds of wars are fading; the other, are on the up rise.
Those wars were fought for a different kind of religion, ideology.
I think the only true justification for war is survival, if that means securing resources then so be it.

You're getting bizarre on us dude----- What if I say survivalism is an ideology?

Bonnie said:
And yet not one has ever mentioned actually blaming evil for well yes evil.
(that's because they probably don't belive in Evil. It's pretty hard to have a serious converstaion about the Easter Bunny, when you don't belive in him.)
I guess that's a hard thing to do after all it's much easier to blame that which you fear may actually hold you accountable
(Some people don't care or belive in heaven or hell. Or would rather go there then be in place where pacifist are holding hands and smilling at each other for a eternity.) for you ractions than that which gives you excuses for immoral behavior, so much more appealing huh?

Classic example of this is illustrated in this thread, and others that blame Bush and our country for 9/11 not the actual evil terrorists (Who were motivated by their brand of religion)

Evil does not Exist, it is a simple and easy lable to define misguided behavior. Their are no Evil doers, just lost children.

White knight said:
Evil does not Exist, it is a simple and easy lable to define misguided behavior. Their are no Evil doers, just lost children.

Hitler wasn't evil? He was just 'lost' or 'misguided'?

Please, for the sake of society, look into sterilization.

White knight said:

OK "misguided behavior" suits me as a cause for animosty---it' a far cry form your original claim that religion caused it !

dilloduck said:
You're getting bizarre on us dude----- What if I say survivalism is an ideology?

Most Animals kill for survival, food or to protect themselves from being eaten.
Sometimes when threatened. But not for what another animal is thinking.

I guess you could say that killing because you feel threatened by someone's ideology is justifiable as a means of survival?

Religion Causes Wars
Secularism Causes Wars
Love Causes Wars (example: the trojan war)

Pink furry imaginary monsters named Bob cause wars,

damn it why can't we just get along

As for religion not being needed, as long as one person draws comfort from it and leaves me the hell alone about it then I will continue to support relgion.

White knight said:

Oh Boy I was waiting for you to say that.. Of course you don't believe in evil, because to you everything is morally relative. So evil is just a state of mind to you, so whats the point of this debate then for you? And if there is no evil, then there must be no good either?

Lets for the sake of argument say all evil and good is just a state of mind. Then that just proves my point anyway regarding churches, becasue I said it's not the institution of religion that's wrong but the state of mind of evil/corrupt thinkers that have caused the church to veer off it's correct course through out time.

-=d=- said:
Hitler wasn't evil? He was just 'lost' or 'misguided'?

Please, for the sake of society, look into sterilization.

Hilter was insane, would you say he was driving by ideology, hate or some vision of a greater glory.
Their has been other leadders in history who killed on the same level as Hitler. Genghis Khan comes to mind.

Please try to better then just simple reasoning.

Actualy they have Isolated a gene that causes some people to have an evil mindset. Hitler had it, Walt Disney had it and and Sir Evil has it hence the name. jk :laugh:

deaddude said:
As for religion not being needed, as long as one person draws comfort from it and leaves me the hell alone about it then I will continue to support relgion.
Exactually, but we are not being left alone we are being drawn into these conflicts.
Some that post here want the U.S. to get involved in Darfur.

deaddude said:
Actualy they have Isolated a gene that causes some people to have an evil mindset. Hitler had it, Walt Disney had it and and Sir Evil has it hence the name. jk :laugh:

Actually Sir Evil "is a great Beacon of Light" you must remember that..............That name is just a front................ oops I guess I wasn't supposed to reveal that? LOL :halo: :p:

Yes and you are a Jewel in the Rough, and I am only on a distinguished road.
:hail: :bow3: :hail: :bow3:

True, but to be a beacon of light or have a stelar reputation or to be a jewel in the rough. A man can dream hehehehe

:banana:

White knight said:
I know I will rattle some cages on this one.

Who thinks that religion may have outlived it purpose and is not counter productive to the world.

Lets hear it.

Consider, if you will, the position of this atheist.

We are far from the point where 'religion', as a concept, has outlived it's purpose, that purpose being to describe and, in so doing, help create a moral society where human beings can live their lives in peace. Since that purpose will always (hopefully) be an end towards which humanity strives religion will be useful until a more effective alternative is found or formulated. Popular liberal secularism, the most common contemporary alternative to religion, is neither moral nor beneficial to humanity. Quite the contrary in fact. As a consequence religion has not outlived it's purpose.

More specifically, not all individual sects of all extant religions seek the same ends. For example, the Islamofascist movement threatens the continued progress, even the continued existence, of the human race. Tolerant western Christendom is presently the only force that seeks to block the Islamofascist movement. In that regard, for that specific religion, Christianity as a religion has not outlived it's purpose.

White knight said:
Hilter was insane, would you say he was driving by ideology, hate or some vision of a greater glory.
Their has been other leadders in history who killed on the same level as Hitler. Genghis Khan comes to mind.

Evil doesn't 'exist' as a tangable...like 'cold' - there is no such thing as 'cold'; we use cold, however to describe the absense of heat. When we remove heat from a room, the room starts to feel 'cold'...the room becomes 'cold'.

Therefore, when we remove 'good' from a person, what is left is 'evil'. By whichever means, Hilter performed 'evil' - thus he 'was' evil. Just like Homosexuality, Evil IS as evil DOES.

Yes - by strict definition, we cannot 'find' or 'measure' evil...we only know evil because we also know Good...Evil is just an absense of Good. Of Truth.

deaddude said:
Love Causes Wars (example: the trojan war)

Just a side note.

The Trojan War was more likely due to the fact that Troy was an economic center of the Bronze Age. All commerce flowing east to west and vice versa went through Troy. Whoever held that land would be very rich and therefore very powerful.

Helen was either a final excuse for the Greeks to go to war or a dramatic element by "Homer".

Bonnie said:
And if there is no evil, then there must be no good either?

Lets for the sake of argument say all evil and good is just a state of mind. Then that just proves my point anyway regarding churches, becasue I said it's not the institution of religion that's wrong but the state of mind of evil/corrupt thinkers that have caused the church to veer off it's correct course through out time.

The point of this debat is like any othr debat. to open your mind or open my mind.

I think that this is part of the problem.
extreamisim, party affiliation, this religion vs that religion. Putting things in simple context like good and evil, this way or that way.

I agree to your statement above about corrupt thinking.

Maybe it’s not the concept of the good that religion is trying to achieve for humanity is the problem. But these people who use it as a justification for wrong.
So would you say that these corrupt thinkers are exploiting religion, using it as a weapon on weak minds? This sounds like the question of which came first the chicken or the egg.

Is it the religion that corrupted the mind or would they have been going about there lives, doing just fine if they have never heard of the call to Jihad.

Forum List

Back