Who thinks religion has out lived it's purpose?

W

White knight

I know I will rattle some cages on this one.

Who thinks that religion may have outlived it purpose, and may now be counter productive to the world.

Lets hear it.

White knight said:

Who thinks that religion may have outlived it purpose and is not counter productive to the world.

Lets hear it.

Why don't you first state your own thoughts, instead of just asking an explosive question.

I mean is it going to be worth it to answer or not? Or do you just want to see how big of a fucking STINK you can cause?

ANY moron can start highly flamatory subjects, but it takes "sincerity" to get people to participate.

White knight said:

Who thinks that religion may have outlived it purpose and is not counter productive to the world.

Lets hear it.

Im going to have to agree with PR here, although ill use less colorful language. Why dont you tell us your point of view. Im not sure a question like this is really going to generate discussion. Here all answer your question.

I dont think religion has outlived its purpose nor is it counter productive to the world. Quite the opposite the world needs religion and faith in God now more than ever.

I dont think religion has outlived its purpose nor is it counter productive to the world. Quite the opposite the world needs religion and faith in God now more than ever.

I agree. All one needs to do is to look how our society has changed.

CSM said:
The UN is a religious organization?

Only if you worship money---just stating how much good religious organizations do when compared to an institution that is SUPPOSEDLY responsible for doing this.

dilloduck said:
Only if you worship money---just stating how much good religious organizations do when compared to an institution that is SUPPOSEDLY responsible for doing this.

Just yanking your chain; it's Friday and I'm bored and you were a target of opportunity.

White knight said:

Lets hear it.

Man guys there's nothing wrong with throwing an open question out like this. He's just trying to stimulate discussion.

I don't think that religion has outlived it's purpose yet. I believe one day it will. Once the majority of humans see humans can be moral and not kill each other without the threat of eternal damnation and the promise of Eden I believe religion will begin to fade away.

I believe religion is a safeguard invented by our species to protect itself. If we were always killing each other, esp. to the degree that we might destroy the species, what better way to stop that than to create an invisible man in the sky who will get mad at you for the status quo?

If anything we need religion more in the world. Look at how nicely the ACLU has managed to squelch any outward, public expressions of religion has worked for kids especially. Im still trying to figure out exactly how we as a nation are better off now than in the 50's being that all prayer is out of school, and kids are slitting eachother's throats in school...........Hey but now there is that 1% of the population that doesn't feel put upon. Hey way to go :thup: athiests!!!!!!!! What a great legacy!!

Bonnie said:
If anything we need religion more in the world. Look at how nicely the ACLU has managed to squelch any outward, public expressions of religion has worked for kids especially. Im still trying to figure out exactly how we as a nation are better off now than in the 50's being that all prayer is out of school, and kids are slitting eachother's throats in school...........Hey but now there is that 1% of the population that doesn't feel put upon. Hey way to go :thup: athiests!!!!!!!! What a great legacy!!

Prayer is not out of the school. Any child, at any time, except when in a disruptive manner, can pray to any God they choose.

If you want a school that guides a child through pray, it's called sunday school.

I respect your views of religion, whatever they may be.
I’m just interested to see if passion and logic can coexist in intelligent beings.

One argument against organized religion may go something like this.

Society has benefited from religion, but now it seems that it is causing allot of unrest in the world. It may be polarizing people against each other.
Given the madness in Gaza. What perpetuates this insanity, where all other rational people would cease? Is it their use of religion as the justification?
One only needs to look around to other conflicts in the world and you can see how religion more then anything played a significant part in the conflict and in carry out atrocities.

Darfur-Muslims killing Christians, Middle East- Islam against the infidels, Kashmir- Hindu India against Muslim, Northern Ireland- Catholic/Protestant differences, Bosnia-Herzegovina war was among three faith groups (Muslim, Roman Catholic, and Serbian Orthodox), Cyprus, we could go on and on, http://www.religioustolerance.org/curr_war.htm
I admit that cultural differences do play a part, but the underlying differences are predominantly religious.

We know that allot of missionaries do good works, but we also see allot of abuse.
For example in America, I see allot of churches massing wealth. Some of the Churches are like huge entertainment or social complexes. What about the priceless treasures in Rome, Has Rome amassed wealth, while turning a blind eye the needs of the? Not to be picking on the Roman church, but does not the pope tell his followers in third world countries not to use contraceptives, contributing to the problems of overcrowding and starvation.

shadrack said:
Prayer is not out of the school. Any child, at any time, except when in a disruptive manner, can pray to any God they choose.

If you want a school that guides a child through pray, it's called sunday school.
wow cool far out 1 day a week for believers!!!

MJDuncan1982 said:
Man guys there's nothing wrong with throwing an open question out like this. He's just trying to stimulate discussion.

I don't think that religion has outlived it's purpose yet. I believe one day it will. Once the majority of humans see humans can be moral and not kill each other without the threat of eternal damnation and the promise of Eden I believe religion will begin to fade away.

I believe religion is a safeguard invented by our species to protect itself. If we were always killing each other, esp. to the degree that we might destroy the species, what better way to stop that than to create an invisible man in the sky who will get mad at you for the status quo?
You have passed the test. How do I reward you.

White knight said:
I respect your views of religion, whatever they may be.
I’m just interested to see if passion and logic can coexist in intelligent beings.

One argument against organized religion may go something like this.

Society has benefited from religion, but now it seems that it is causing allot of unrest in the world. It may be polarizing people against each other.
Given the madness in Gaza. What perpetuates this insanity, where all other rational people would cease? Is it their use of religion as the justification?
One only needs to look around to other conflicts in the world and you can see how religion more then anything played a significant part in the conflict and in carry out atrocities.

Darfur-Muslims killing Christians, Middle East- Islam against the infidels, Kashmir- Hindu India against Muslim, Northern Ireland- Catholic/Protestant differences, Bosnia-Herzegovina war was among three faith groups (Muslim, Roman Catholic, and Serbian Orthodox), Cyprus, we could go on and on, http://www.religioustolerance.org/curr_war.htm
I admit that cultural differences do play a part, but the underlying differences are predominantly religious.

We know that allot of missionaries do good works, but we also see allot of abuse.
For example in America, I see allot of churches massing wealth. Some of the Churches are like huge entertainment or social complexes. What about the priceless treasures in Rome, Has Rome amassed wealth, while turning a blind eye the needs of the? Not to be picking on the Roman church, but does not the pope tell his followers in third world countries not to use contraceptives, contributing to the problems of overcrowding and starvation.

Secular society has improved reasons for war significantly WWI, WWII, Korea, Viet Nam etc. Are those wars any better than religious ones?

shadrack said:

Yes that's true Sunday school is there...... But that doesn't answer my point?

dilloduck said:
Secular society has improved reasons for war significantly WWI, WWII, Korea, Viet Nam etc. Are those wars any better than religious ones?
These kinds of wars are fading; the other, are on the up rise.
Those wars were fought for a different kind of religion, ideology.
I think the only true justification for war is survival, if that means securing resources then so be it.

I find it most interesting that everytime a discussion comes up regarding the value of religion, those that have disdain for religion itself reliably use the religion is the reason for wars, chaos, and destruction..........And yet not one has ever mentioned actually blaming evil for well yes evil. I guess that's a hard thing to do after all it's much easier to blame that which you fear may actually hold you accountable for you ractions than that which gives you excuses for immoral behavior, so much more appealing huh?

Classic example of this is illustrated in this thread, and others that blame Bush and our country for 9/11 not the actual evil terrorists who are the ones soley responsible.
And again it's always the evil rich church that soley exists to take peoples money and brainwash them into moral submission, excluding entirely that most churches do a lot of good charity work and provide solace and support in troubled times for it's members. But never once is evil blamed for the problems that have over the centuries infiltrated the church due to human frailties, corruption, and error.

Religion is not the opiat of the masses...........Evil is!!!

Forum List

Back