Who the hell wouldn't want to explore space?

I agree stepping on Mars would be a bigger thrill than reaching the summit of Everest. But I would take more satisfaction in beating the physical exhaustion throughout the journey up and down the mountain over imagining myself bored on the long way to and especially back from Mars. Heck I'd take driving in a stock car or Indy auto race over space travel.
OK, I have a totally different viewpoint. I really don't care for the thrill of being on top of a mountain. However, if there is the need for a seismograph on top of that mountain, that it is a different matter. And going to Mars would not be for the thrill of stepping on Mars for me, but for the thrill of studying a geology that did not develop on Earth. And learning the Geological and, possibly, Biological developmental history of another planet.

Seems to me that would be duplicating what we already have going on with the Mars rovers. But I agree that if there was a station there for extended stay and study, that would make the 7 month one-way commute far more worthwhile than any notoriety of simply the journey.

I agree stepping on Mars would be a bigger thrill than reaching the summit of Everest. But I would take more satisfaction in beating the physical exhaustion throughout the journey up and down the mountain over imagining myself bored on the long way to and especially back from Mars. Heck I'd take driving in a stock car or Indy auto race over space travel.
OK, I have a totally different viewpoint. I really don't care for the thrill of being on top of a mountain. However, if there is the need for a seismograph on top of that mountain, that it is a different matter. And going to Mars would not be for the thrill of stepping on Mars for me, but for the thrill of studying a geology that did not develop on Earth. And learning the Geological and, possibly, Biological developmental history of another planet.

Seems to me that would be duplicating what we already have going on with the Mars rovers. But I agree that if there was a station there for extended stay and study, that would make the 7 month one-way commute far more worthwhile than any notoriety of simply the journey.

I can't imagine a scenario that would requure human boots on the ground on Mars for any science, save for the effect on a human of being on Mars. But that's not something we dont already know. So I don't see the point.

I can't imagine a scenario that would requure human boots on the ground on Mars for any science, save for the effect on a human of being on Mars. But that's not something we dont already know. So I don't see the point.
The same could be said for the bases on Antarctica. I am for human boots on the ground. Humans would cover more ground and would be interesting to see if a habitat there could at some point support itself.
At some point way in the future I believe a permant presence will be off world.

A little biased right now...just watched The Martian.

The same could be said for the bases on Antarctica. I am for human boots on the ground. Humans would cover more ground and would be interesting to see if a habitat there could at some point support itself.
At some point way in the future I believe a permant presence will be off world.

A little biased right now...just watched The Martian.

I think and Army of R2D2s would do more on Mars and would cost a lot less
Problem with human space exploration is you have to feed them, give them oxygen and worry about their safety

R2D2 gets smashed and nobody cares, lose a human colony on Mars and it is a disaster

The same could be said for the bases on Antarctic
Sending humans on an 8 month journey through space could not be "said of Antarctica". Sending humans to a place where the atmosphere and soil are poisonous cannot be "said of Antarctica". Moonquakes that ring the entire Moon like a bell for hours cannot be "said of Antarctica".

.........then you would bitch about man made climate change on mars.

It's all - dreams and dreams ...
Americans do not even know how to transport their citizens to the International Space Station, so they ask Russia
See what happens when you make an African your national leader?

And furthermore, after driving through Nothing, Arizona a few times I figure why in the heck do I need to go all the way to Mars?

15_NothingSign.jpg

Forum List

Back