Who still watches 'I Love Lucy'?

Am I the only person here who has never watched it?

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. I've seen bits and pieces here and there, but I have yet to watch even one episode of the show from start to finish.
You're not missing anything. Though, I'm shocked that someone your age (no offense) has not watched some episodes.
A big part of why I have never seen it is because it was on before I was even thought of.

Holly

P.S. I'll be 33 at the end of next month.
Oh, that must be your mom or something in your avi, then.
No that is me with my most favorite singer James Otto on January 31, 2011. I was 28 then. :) :) :)

God bless you and James always!!! :) :) :)

Holly
Ah, now I see that I never looked closely at the avi. Thanks for the info.
You are welcome and no offense was taken. :) :) :)

Holly

I would rather have a root canal than to watch "I love lucy". However, my 10 year old daughter NEVER missed an episode. As far as i am concerned it was as bad as "Ozzie and Harriet".

I would rather have a root canal than to watch "I love lucy". However, my 10 year old daughter NEVER missed an episode. As far as i am concerned it was as bad as "Ozzie and Harriet".

That's probably about how I see it. It's a children's show. I wouldn't fault a youngin for getting into it. But adults bragging about it is like me bragging about Voltron.

Back in the 1970's, I remember everyone talking and laughing about Arnold the pig. I didn't know what the hell they were talking about until someone told me that it had to do with Green Acres. And then, of course, there was "Hee Haw", and Petticoat junction.

I shudder to think of those days. At least it was free. If anyone had asked me to pay for that crap, I would have used my TV for target practice, like Elvis did.

At least Ozzie and Harriet had Ricky Nelson
He sang better than Babba-Loo

Back in the 1970's, I remember everyone talking and laughing about Arnold the pig. I didn't know what the hell they were talking about until someone told me that it had to do with Green Acres. And then, of course, there was "Hee Haw", and Petticoat junction.

I shudder to think of those days. At least it was free. If anyone had asked me to pay for that crap, I would have used my TV for target practice, like Elvis did.
Green Acres was funny. Hooterville was a bizarro world

Petticoat Junction, which was also in Hooterville sucked

Get Smart was great comedy

You have some serious splainin' to do?

I just can't stand that show. It's not that bad. But considering all the much better forms of entertainment that have come out since then, I just don't understand it.

I think of this from time to time. But in this instance, this is inspired by:

I Love Lucy was Sunday Night s Number 1 Scripted Show Nearly Twice as Many Viewers as Mad Men Finale Showbiz411

Fundies hate that show for it showing people smoking that aren't homeless drug addicts or criminals. :)

Green Acres was funny. Hooterville was a bizarro world

Petticoat Junction, which was also in Hooterville sucked

Get Smart was great comedy

I really liked Get Smart:

^^^ To me, the same thing can be said about the shows that I grew up watching as well.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Full House, Family Matters, Home Improvement, Step By Step, Perfect Strangers, The Dinosaurs, and Saved By The Bell was my childhood.

Why did Lucy as a grown as woman have to act like she was 2 years old?

^^^ I second that. The oldest show that I am a fan of I believe fell into that category because of how the characters were written, Larry and Balki from Perfect Strangers. :D :D :D

God bless you and the guys who brought them to life always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. I'm still waiting for the rest of that show to be available on DVD. So far only the first season or two is out there. :( :( :(

Lucille Ball is arguably the greatest comedic actor that ever lived.

If you had said actress, I'd have gave you that based on the clause 'arguably.' But come on, she is nowhere in the same stratosphere as the likes of one Jim Carrey.

OlafMovieJimCarrey.jpg
Jim Carrey would probably be honored that someone feels he can be compared to the likes of Lucille Ball. But really we're comparing eras here. And Lucy's stuff still clearly holds up. Lucy belongs on the Mount Rushmore of comedy. As for Jim Carrey, off the top of my head I could probably name 10 of his peers who are arguably funnier.

Nobody thinks Jim Carrey is as funny as Jim Carrey thinks Jim Carrey is.

When Lucille Ball was on the air I was lukewarm to her. As I grew I came to appreciate her genius in retrospect. And genius is definitely the right word.

Yea but after the mertz and them broke up it was all lame after that. Worn out schtick.

She tried to do it by herself after that but all those shows flopped. But I remember enjoying each episode so they tapped into something even kids would like.

PS. I think Ted Cruz is little Ricky all grown up

Lucy was borderline retarded and the show was not funny

Honeymnooners was better

Lucille Ball is arguably the greatest comedic actor that ever lived.

If you had said actress, I'd have gave you that based on the clause 'arguably.' But come on, she is nowhere in the same stratosphere as the likes of one Jim Carrey.

OlafMovieJimCarrey.jpg
Jim Carrey would probably be honored that someone feels he can be compared to the likes of Lucille Ball. But really we're comparing eras here. And Lucy's stuff still clearly holds up. Lucy belongs on the Mount Rushmore of comedy. As for Jim Carrey, off the top of my head I could probably name 10 of his peers who are arguably funnier.

Nobody thinks Jim Carrey is as funny as Jim Carrey thinks Jim Carrey is.

When Lucille Ball was on the air I was lukewarm to her. As I grew I came to appreciate her genius in retrospect. And genius is definitely the right word.

Yea but after the mertz and them broke up it was all lame after that. Worn out schtick.

She tried to do it by herself after that but all those shows flopped. But I remember enjoying each episode so they tapped into something even kids would like.

PS. I think Ted Cruz is little Ricky all grown up

Oh geez don't slam little Ricky like that!

You have some serious splainin' to do?

I just can't stand that show. It's not that bad. But considering all the much better forms of entertainment that have come out since then, I just don't understand it.

I think of this from time to time. But in this instance, this is inspired by:

I Love Lucy was Sunday Night s Number 1 Scripted Show Nearly Twice as Many Viewers as Mad Men Finale Showbiz411

You have to remember, the show was 1950s America. It's really from '50-'57. This was before civil rights, before women's equality... a different time and era. The networks bristled over simply portraying them as a married couple because he was a Cuban. They nearly had a cow when the writers decided to have Lucy's pregnancy with Dezi Jr. integrated into the script of the 3rd season. It was bad enough having her married to a Cuban but now they're having a baby, and you know what that implies. Guess those twin beds didn't really work that well.

When she came to television for I Love Lucy, it was as a washed-up B-film actress who didn't make it because she had gotten too old at 35. Her husband was in worse shape, he couldn't even get the B-film work. It was a very unique show because the production was revolutionary at the time. Filmed before a live audience with three cameras to do all the shots at the same time, wide close up and alternate. A quick post-production edit and off the FILM goes to NYC where it was broadcast.

One of the most interesting trivia bits is that the actors playing Fred and Ethyl despised one another in real life.

Forum List

Back