Who speaks for the Republican party?

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
A 52% majority of those surveyed couldn't come up with a name when asked to specify "the main person" who speaks for Republicans today. Of those who could, the top response was radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh (13%), followed in order by former vice president Dick Cheney, Arizona Sen. John McCain and former House speaker Newt Gingrich. Former president George W. Bush ranked fifth, at 3%.
Poll: Most don't know who speaks for GOP - USATODAY.com

A 52% majority of those surveyed couldn't come up with a name when asked to specify "the main person" who speaks for Republicans today. Of those who could, the top response was radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh (13%), followed in order by former vice president Dick Cheney, Arizona Sen. John McCain and former House speaker Newt Gingrich. Former president George W. Bush ranked fifth, at 3%.

Seems the dems had an identity crisis around 2004. good thing they never overcame it. Oh wait, they did.

This is utter nonsense. How can one person speak for an entire party? Who speaks for the Democratic Party? Obama? I'm sure there are plenty of Democrats that would say Obama doesn't represent them.

The problem is not so much that they have nobody to speak for them, just that they have very little to say for themselves.

This is utter nonsense. How can one person speak for an entire party? Who speaks for the Democratic Party? Obama? I'm sure there are plenty of Democrats that would say Obama doesn't represent them.

nonsense? repubs had a unified "message" since Reagan... democrats have never had one voice (the whole "I don't belong to any organized political party... i'm a democrat" thing...and we've always eaten our own.

the repubs have no voice because the rightwingnuts want to force out the sane people and they're battling for control. personally, i'd prefer the colin powell school beat out the rush wingnut school...they're smarter on that side of the divide.

nonsense? repubs had a unified "message" since Reagan... democrats have never had one voice (the whole "I don't belong to any organized political party... i'm a democrat" thing...and we've always eaten our own.

the repubs have no voice because the rightwingnuts want to force out the sane people and they're battling for control. personally, i'd prefer the colin powell school beat out the rush wingnut school...they're smarter on that side of the divide.

The Republicans don't lack a message they lack an audience. Nobody really cares what they have to say because they haven't forgotten Bush, so now the American people are letting the Democrats have their turn to see if they do any better. But as I said, all this focus on "Who's the supposed leader of the Republican Party?" is nonsense. There is no one person that speaks for all Republicans.

Mr Kemp was one of the most prominent Republicans of his generation. He was secretary of housing and urban development under the first George Bush. He thought of running for the Republican nomination in 1996 and became Bob Dole’s running-mate. But his real influence was ideological. He was a tireless advocate of supply-side economics: the man who persuaded Ronald Reagan to abandon deficit-hawk Republicanism in favour of aggressive tax cuts.

Mr Kemp started his career as a wiry, eager quarterback for the Buffalo Bills, before riding his popularity as a sports star to a seat in Congress. There he was consumed by a vision of how to make the world better. He lent his name to the Kemp-Roth tax cuts of 1981, one of the opening salvos of the Reagan revolution, and championed school vouchers, enterprise zones and housing vouchers

Jack Kemp: Conservative hero | The Economist

There is no one person that speaks for all Republicans.

Agreed, after all it would be very difficult to find a credible spokesman for a political party that doesn't really stand for anything worth mentioning which is probably the reason all they seem to manage to come up with are shills and con men, same goes for the Democrats.

Late last year, Jack Kemp was diagnosed with cancer.

It turned out to be aggressive and incurable. And despite their great loss, his family, his wife Joanne, their four children and 17 grandchildren, were thankful that they were able to spend a great deal of time with with Kemp before he passed away a month ago.

Scott Brown: "Is there some solace in that you got to say everything you wanted to say to him?"

Jimmy Kemp: "Oh yeah, we're really fortunate. He wasn't taken away in the blink of an eye.

wgrz.com | Buffalo, NY | Jack Kemp's Son Talks About Family, Faith And Buffalo

Yes Jack Kemp is gone.

If Republicans are smart, they'll first read Joe Scarborough's book THE LAST BEST HOPE, then start listening to him. I'm about half-way through it, and although I disagree on some of his same old, same old ideological arguments that don't fit with the reality of today, Scarborough's common sense fiscal and social conservatism is, well, the last best hope for the GOP if they want to start winning elections again.

I like Joe Scarborough, and if he should decide to run for office again, I think that would be a good thing.

Seems the dems had an identity crisis around 2004. good thing they never overcame it. Oh wait, they did.

There was no identity crisis. Dems lost midterms because they were still being identified a' la Bill Clinton's sexual crisis. Call it a "cleansing." Plus the Iraq War had only just begun and everyone was rah rah rah, let's get the ragheads for 911. The various blocs within the Democratic Party have never been fractured as bad as the Republicans have this time. In fact, I think this is a "first" for Republicans. Something to think about. Why?

I always interpreted that Mark Twain quote as meaning that Democrats, being the "party of the people" doesn't isolate itself with a signed, sealed, and delivered message. We're too diverse.

I agree that the right wing noise machine dictates how non-democrats should believe and behave. It seems like every time any Republican (or libertarian for that matter) in a high profile position comes out with even a whisper of cooperation with some Democratic proposal, s/he gets smacked down within hours by the loudmouths who keep the drumbeat going until the next one. In the meantime, any "message" gets lost amid the din. There's no greater proof of that than the posts seen on this board.

There was no identity crisis. Dems lost midterms because they were still being identified a' la Bill Clinton's sexual crisis. Call it a "cleansing." Plus the Iraq War had only just begun and everyone was rah rah rah, let's get the ragheads for 911. The various blocs within the Democratic Party have never been fractured as bad as the Republicans have this time. In fact, I think this is a "first" for Republicans. Something to think about. Why?

2004 was a midterm election? :lol:
bill clinton's sexual crisis was why kerry lost in the "midterms"? that's a new one.

the repubs were far more fractured in both 1964 and 1976; it's hardly a first.

I always interpreted that Mark Twain quote as meaning that Democrats, being the "party of the people" doesn't isolate itself with a signed, sealed, and delivered message. We're too diverse.

I agree that the right wing noise machine dictates how non-democrats should believe and behave. It seems like every time any Republican (or libertarian for that matter) in a high profile position comes out with even a whisper of cooperation with some Democratic proposal, s/he gets smacked down within hours by the loudmouths who keep the drumbeat going until the next one. In the meantime, any "message" gets lost amid the din. There's no greater proof of that than the posts seen on this board.

will rogers would like a word with you.:lol:

What libertarian is in a high profile position, other than Ron Paul? And he doesn't get "smacked down" by anyone, he simply votes his conscience.

Forum List

Back