Who Speaks for Casey Sheehan?

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Who Speaks for Casey Sheehan?
By David Gelernter, The Los Angeles Times
August 19, 2005

This nation respects and admires Cindy Sheehan on account of her son's heroic death in Iraq. But the Cindy Sheehan spectacle has been another thing altogether. It's on hold now; perhaps it's over. But the protest echoes.

It's tragic that we don't seem to remember President Lincoln's words at Gettysburg, and Sheehan and her supporters don't either: "The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here." In the shadow of heroic deeds, words don't count for much. The Gettysburg Address is one of the rare exceptions.

Casey Sheehan's deeds were heroic. By laying down his life for this nation, he delivered the kind of message that is written in blood, that lives forever. Why on Earth would a loving mother choose to refocus the nation's attention onto her words and away from his deeds?

And what was Casey Sheehan's message? It had nothing to do with President Bush. It didn't even have to do with the war, necessarily. It said something much simpler: "I love my country."

His mother seemed intent on drowning out that message. At times she contradicted it. Some news stories about the mother's protest didn't even mention the son's name. In most, he passed through like a butterfly that is gone before you really see it. "Spc. Casey Sheehan, who was killed in an ambush in Baghdad last year…. " That's all you got; then it was right back to Cindy Sheehan's latest pronouncements.

The real story is brief enough. Casey Sheehan enlisted in the Army in 2000 at age 20. The country was at peace. When he was asked to reenlist four years later, he knew that he would probably be sent to Iraq. He reenlisted anyway. In March 2004, he was sent to Iraq as a mechanic attached to the artillery division of the 1st Cavalry Division. When a convoy was attacked in Sadr City a month later, he volunteered to join the rescue mission — although he had no obligation to take part in combat. He was awarded the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star.

for full article go to http://www.latimes.com. Do search for David Gelernter. Will be first article listed under heading "latimes.com Articles".

Mr. Griffin has written a beautiful message, Bonnie. Thank you for bringing it to the board.

Mrs. Sheehan is your typical, whacked-out liberal--so into themselves and their own needs that they are utterly incapable of understanding, respecting and honoring choices made by others, even their own children. She desperately needs to see a good grief counselor, take her menopausal medicine, and quit seeking her 15 minutes of fame at the expense of her son's honorable service to his country.

LuvRPgrl said:
Casey's life is proof that we dont always turn out like our parents.

No, we don't.. and in a lot of cases (mine), that's a good thing. :fifty:

Shattered said:
No, we don't.. and in a lot of cases (mine), that's a good thing. :fifty:

hahahha, me too,,,,in fact, I just had a good yelling at my biological father whom I call Melvin. Cussed him out, called him a fucking liar, cheat and doesnt keep his word. It will probably be the last time I ever talk to him except once we land in court, unless he decides to sign the house over to me (its suppose to be mine, we left it in his name for financial reasons)

He said Im an ingrate, ha, I LITERALLY saved his life three times in the last year, he is 77 and is in failing health.

Forum List

Back