CDZ Who set the medical field up when it comes to it's outrageous cost ??

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by beagle9, Jul 8, 2017.

1. flacaltenn

flacaltenn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,718
    People and providers are ALREADY suffering. As doctors and hospitals lose tons of money on MediCaid/Medicare and start refusing to take new cases. These "hidden costs" are a HUGE part of escalating insurance...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. beagle9

beagle9 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,014
    . My mom was given up on in a hospital, and was basically left to die in the hospital... Sadly the hospital lied about her condition, and then they acted as if she was going to be ready for rehab where they moved her to the rehab floor, and then forced her to get up on her own after only 3 weeks in the facility, where they took all available monitoring equipment away from her, and this is where she then died as a result of the entire fiasco...... How do you die in a hospital where they have critical care for the critically ill patients, but then they just give up on someone without saying they gave up on them or why not just say that the person only had a short amount of time left to live, instead of misleading a family about it ???? Take any hospital let's say ok, now wouldn't they or shouldn't they tell the family members about a person that is dying ?? A nurse actually broke the code of secrecy to say, "they won't tell y'all, but I will, your mother is laying in their dying" ......... Ok if she's laying in their dying, then why were they forcing her to get up, and to act as if she was eligible for rehabilitation with no monitoring equipment being used upon her anymore ?? Why suffer a person or family in this way, otherwise if they knew better about it that she was dying ?? I saw it as cruel and unusual punishment to everyone involved in the situation. God bless her soul... We love ya mom.. Amen!!....... I can talk about it now, as it has been about two years since her passing. Why would a hospital mislead a family in that way ?? The whole service she got there was terrible, except for some of the nurses who looked after her... I know I wouldn't want to go to a place like that if I get sick. Sad situation it was..... Wouldn't wish that anyone should go through that.

3. flacaltenn

flacaltenn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,718
    It's hard. And NOBODY should be left alone in a hospital. Things go wrong all the time. I've caught several errors on family cases that needed to be corrected. And you can't do real advocacy without consults with the doctor. Always designate SOMEONE as your Med Power of Atty before you sign in...

4. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,647
    Most doctors are either a member a group or work for a clinic that arranges membership in most of the insurance networks in the area so not being a member of one that pays low rates is not a problem.

Like most negotiations it boils down to supply and demand. If there is one general hospital in the town and the insurance company needs coverage in that area, then that hospital will be in the driver's seat and the insurance company will end up paying above average rates. However, if a small clinic of eye doctors is trying to become part of an insurance companies network and the company already has lots eye doctors in the area, the chances are that clinic will not get very good rates. One of the reasons small private practices are disappearing is there inability to negotiate good rates with large insurance companies. When it comes to insurance companies, size matters.

Today most people with individual or group insurance stay in the insurance company's network. Generally that means the healthcare provider and insurance company work together to make sure all procedures are covered before they are performed so there are no surprises. Since Obamacare, most every procedure a doctor performs is covered so that's not the problem it once was. For most people that go out of network, they will pay more, and they are more likely to have charges that are not covered, particularly facility fees. Insurance companies will not pay these fees and generally not allow their providers to charge them to the their in network patients.

I had some advice I got a few years ago about insurance companies and providers which I think is pretty good. Choose a company with a large network in your area. Stay in network. If you can get all your medically care from one healthcare provider, say a large hospital and clinic, you'll find that you will have a lot less problems with billing and you will generally get better care than having a dozen independent healthcare providers because information sharing is hard among independents and services won't be coordinated.

Sorry about long reply. I get wound up and can't stop.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  5. Flopper

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,647
    That is so true. Everyone with a lot healthcare problems needs a healthcare advocate. Someone that will talk to the doctors and nurses. Ask questions and point out problems. Ask why a medication is needed? What do they hope to learn from a test? Why is this procedure being done. And most important getting straight answers from the doctor who is coordinating care. Often people that are very ill, having a lot procedures and drugs get confused and don't have the energy to do this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Eloy

Eloy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,284
    Socialized medical care is the fairest and most ethical but it is resisted by capitalists who prefer profits for insurance corporations and pharmaceutical companies over the health of the nation.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Flopper

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,647
    Doctors will often withhold information from patients and family. You really have to ask them very boldly sometimes to get the truth. To some extent doctors, see the lost of a patient as a failure so as long as there is a chance, they want to keep the patient fighting to recovery even thou the odds are against recovery.

When my mother was dying with cancer and in the hospital, the doctor asked the family if they wanted him to tell her that she only had a few days left. In her case, we agreed it was not a good idea. When my father died, we knew he wanted the truth and he got it. I think it depends on the person.

• Agree Agree x 1