Who says We have to help the poor?

The poor will be taken care of by the state one way or the other. The only choice we have is how much we want to be involved. We can either set up government run charity or we can leave the poor to their own devices. If left up to their own devices they will prey on those of us who have food shelter and clothing, by taking what isn't theirs in the first place. We then either kill them in the act of comitting the crime or we put them in jail. If they go to jail they get three hots and a cot. So the choice is Government charity or jail either way we support the poor. how do we want to deal with them?

Exactly... people really don't understand how welfare works. The poor "parasites" just make an easy target to attack.

Too many seem to be under the false impression that welfare is inherently compassionate or emotional. It isn't. It's structural.

Ever heard someone say that if you have a rodent problem, you should leave a little food outside to keep mice from feeling the need to enter your home? Sure, you could spend $1000's turning your house into an impenetrable fortress, but why? A few scraps and you take away the need. The Romans called it 'Bread and Circus.' It's not something that's new, nor inherently American or based on compassion.

Rather than trying to find ways to dick the unfortunate out of the scraps we throw them, why not focus on trying to solve the poverty crisis by assuring inroads for them to get out of poverty? But even if we do there's always going to be people who don't take the inroads, or who try and fail; And unless we resolve to kill or displace them, throwing them a life line is always going to be the cheapest and easiest way to maintain order.

Someone once said........

"You can measure the greatness of a nation, not by their accomplishments, but by how they treat their poor".

I don't want my tax dollars supporting cops, or wars. But I pay and those things continue.

So you are against self defense, but you are for politicians wasting your money in an effort to keep the poor dependent on them so they can count on their votes for reelection?

Lol yeah, the US only goes to war for defense.

You're smarter than that Avatar.

What constitutes "national defense" is a completely separate issue from what is and is not an appropriate function of government/use of taxpayer dollars. Whether you personally like or dislike the military actions the government engages in has fuck-all to do with whether or not the government should be involved in "charity".

Stop with the strawmen.

You know..........until you've actually lived in a situation where you had to get assistance, you never quite realize how useful it is to those that need it.

Ever notice that the people who bitch the most about the poor are those who have never been hungry themselves?

From what I've learned it's supposed to come from our HEART to want to help and not for vain glory or for recognition from other people. "Our left hand not knowing what our right hand is doing"

Matthew 6:2-4
2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

"We usually hear about charity in the media when there is a terrible disaster. For example, after Hurricane Katrina, we heard about the incredible outpouring of private generosity that amounted to $6 billion. What gets less attention is that Americans routinely give that much to charity every week. Last year Americans gave $300 billion to charity. To put this into perspective, that is almost twice what we spent on consumer electronics equipment—equipment including cell phones, iPods and DVD players. Americans gave three times as much to charity last year as we spent on gambling and ten times as much as we spent on professional sports. America is by far the most charitable country in the world. There is no other country that comes close."
https://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/archive/issue.asp?year=2010&month=01

And totally unrelated to any government agency.

Conservatives are people who act like the government shouldn't be in charge of helping the poor, whether it does or not. Liberals are people who act like the government should be the ONLY one helping the poor, whether it does or not.

I know, I know! The tax exempt religions that proselytize AS they save the POOR? Their motives are...questionable, YES? Here is a clue: NOBODY cares about the real poor. Ucky poor people. I know, I AM one of these poor bastards, I live with them. Homeless, desperate and abandoned.

I know, I know! The tax exempt religions that proselytize AS they save the POOR? Their motives are...questionable, YES? Here is a clue: NOBODY cares about the real poor. Ucky poor people. I know, I AM one of these poor bastards, I live with them. Homeless, desperate and abandoned.

ADDED to the ingnore list because of incomprehensibe or nonsense posts. Homeless people don't have computers, nor access to computers on Sundays when libraries are closed.

Why do people bother posting stuff that is a waste of the reader's time? Oh wait, it's just another cry for attention.

Predictable. I live with homeless people, jerkwad. Does that boggle your little mind? I AM poor, and, I have a computer. Is that a crime? What are you trying to prove? You didn't answer the question, either, smooth. Really. Ignore away! Ignorance suits ya.

Last edited:
Who says We have to help the poor?

With regard to public assistance, the American people, as expressed through their elected officials.

God. But then, He never said steal money from others to enslave the poor now did he?

Fortunately as a secular Republic we don’t have to worry about that.

Yes, because the only influence there ever is on people's actions, attitudes, and policies is the current type of government in the nation at the moment. :cuckoo:

And it's actually pretty amazing how little of what people NOW believe we "have" to do was, in fact, originally put in place by the will of "the people", and how much of it was forced on them by fiat, and merely adjusted to over time.

I don't want my tax dollars supporting cops, or wars. But I pay and those things continue.

So you are against self defense, but you are for politicians wasting your money in an effort to keep the poor dependent on them so they can count on their votes for reelection?

Is it possible the reason liberals are for helping the poor is because they care?

You bet they care! For themselves first!

<flamesuit on>

Is it possible the reason liberals are for helping the poor is because they care?

<flamesuit on>

Boy did that make sense? No!

Of course it didn't make sense,,,to those that believe that govt (the people) should be 'helping' the poor.

Reference Nancy Pelosi, whose husband has made a killing in the MILLIONS, since Ms Pelosi became a Rep.
Google Pelosi and tuna....
Then reference the Pelosi's tax returns (public record, by the way) and verify for yourself how much they have given to the poor.

Thanks for playing!

<flamesuit on>

So far, you and Avatar have only described who YOU are and what is in YOUR hearts.

I'm sure that is way beyond your comprehension.

Luke 16:13-15

13 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and mammon (money).”

14 The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and were sneering at Jesus.

15 He said to them, “You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of man, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valuable in the eyes of man is detestable in God’s sight.

Interestingly, all of the US currency and coins have "In God We Trust" on them. As noted by Echo Zulu's post, the Bible is full of versus emphasizing that the poor must be helped. I find it quite ironic that some folks don't want to help the needy because it's money out of their pocket. Obviously "in God We Trust" (which also the motto of the US), means very little to these people, as does God's Word (the Bible).
And many of these same people vigorously defend the wealthy and actually portray the wealthy as victims. Yet the Bible says,,,Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."[/I Luke Matthew 19:24.

I think you are mistaken. We don't have a problem helping the needy with our own money. We have a problem with helping the needy with the money of others. Charity must be freely given. Taking money from others by force to give it to a third party is robbery, not charity.

<flamesuit on>

So far, you and Avatar have only described who YOU are and what is in YOUR hearts.

I'm sure that is way beyond your comprehension.

Luke 16:13-15

13 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and mammon (money).”

14 The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and were sneering at Jesus.

15 He said to them, “You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of man, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valuable in the eyes of man is detestable in God’s sight.

I have always been clear about what's in my heart. We have an obligation as individuals to take care of the poor. We do not have the right to outsource our personal responsibilities to the government, nor to steal money from others in the name of charity, because forced "giving" is not charity.

True charity edifies both the person who gives and the person who recieves. And we live in a free society where we have the right to fulfill our own obligations and not outsource them to others.

When are you going to realize that when government officials want to do something they aren't authorized to do in the name of "being kind" that it's merely a ploy by them to steal power from the people and exercise unrighteous dominion over the people?

When are you going to start fulfilling your personal responsibilities instead of expecting someone else do it?

Interestingly, all of the US currency and coins have "In God We Trust" on them. As noted by Echo Zulu's post, the Bible is full of versus emphasizing that the poor must be helped. I find it quite ironic that some folks don't want to help the needy because it's money out of their pocket. Obviously "in God We Trust" (which also the motto of the US), means very little to these people, as does God's Word (the Bible).
And many of these same people vigorously defend the wealthy and actually portray the wealthy as victims. Yet the Bible says,,,Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."[/I Luke Matthew 19:24.

I think you are mistaken. We don't have a problem helping the needy with our own money. We have a problem with helping the needy with the money of others. Charity must be freely given. Taking money from others by force to give it to a third party is robbery, not charity.

Shut the fuck up you pussy bitch! No body has put a fuckin gun to your head. If you don't want to pay taxes...man up and DON'T!!!

Shut the fuck up you pussy bitch! No body has put a fuckin gun to your head. If you don't want to pay taxes...man up and DON'T!!!

Actually, yes, they do. Every government collects taxes with the threat of force and detention to back their claim to it. The only type of government that uses no force is self government.

Actually, yes, they do. Every government collects taxes with the threat of force and detention to back their claim to it. The only type of government that uses no force is self government.

Naw.

Self government uses force to make dead beats pay.

Ask Willie Nelson.

If you don't like it..

Islands for Sale, Private Islands, Luxury Real Estate

Dare to dream.

General welfare clause of the Constitution covers helping those in need.

ADDED to the ingnore list because of incomprehensibe or nonsense posts. Homeless people don't have computers, nor access to computers on Sundays when libraries are closed.

Why do people bother posting stuff that is a waste of the reader's time? Oh wait, it's just another cry for attention.
how MANY POOR (as defined by govt ) have you been around, most have computers
blackberrys, and big screen tv
the poor as defined in the US would be middle class in a lot countries

Forum List

Back