Who says We have to help the poor?

Well, for starters, these guys:

New Testament passages

"Jesus answered, If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Matthew 19:21
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in." Matthew 25:35
"They devour widows' houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. Such men will be punished most severely." Mark 12:40
"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because He has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed." Luke 4:18
"So he replied to the messengers, Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.'" Luke 7:22 [ E-book: The Kingdom strikes back ]
"Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys." Luke 12:33
"But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind." Luke 14:13
"When Jesus heard this, he said to him, You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Luke 18:22

Bible: Caring for and serving the poor

He also said, 'the poor will be with us always' when someone chastised the woman for wasting such expensive ointment on him.

Mark 14:3-9

While he was in Bethany, reclining at the table in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper, a woman came with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, made of pure nard. She broke the jar and poured the perfume on his head.

Some of those present were saying indignantly to one another, "Why this waste of perfume? It could have been sold for more than a year's wages and the money given to the poor." And they rebuked her harshly.

"Leave her alone," said Jesus. "Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want. But you will not always have me. She did what she could. She poured perfume on my body beforehand to prepare for my burial. I tell you the truth, wherever the gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her."
The Anointing of Jesus

No one should be forced, by Govt., to take care of anyone. Charity isn't in the Constitution.

The more these folks get, the more they want. They will never take care of themselves. They will never stand on their own two feet as long as the Govt is putting other peoples hard earned tax dollars in their hands. Why should they??

Why should I be forced to take care of anyone??

Spoken like a truly selfish bitch. Kudos.

I hope you reap what you've sown.
Being selfish can be applied at will to all
sitting at home taking govt ( taxpayers ) money and blaming your situation on everyone but yourself when you could get up of your fat ass and find a fucking job is being selfish to .

No one should be forced, by Govt., to take care of anyone. Charity isn't in the Constitution.

The more these folks get, the more they want. They will never take care of themselves. They will never stand on their own two feet as long as the Govt is putting other peoples hard earned tax dollars in their hands. Why should they??

Why should I be forced to take care of anyone??

Spoken like a truly selfish bitch. Kudos.

I hope you reap what you've sown.

How is opposing robbery, ie, the taking of money from others for yourself or others by force selfish? How is giving away someone else's money selfless?

Unless one gives of their time, talents, and money freely, they aren't helping anyone.

New Testament passages

"Jesus answered, If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Matthew 19:21
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in." Matthew 25:35
"They devour widows' houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. Such men will be punished most severely." Mark 12:40
"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because He has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed." Luke 4:18
"So he replied to the messengers, Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.'" Luke 7:22 [ E-book: The Kingdom strikes back ]
"Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys." Luke 12:33
"But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind." Luke 14:13
"When Jesus heard this, he said to him, You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Luke 18:22

Interestingly, all of the US currency and coins have "In God We Trust" on them. As noted by Echo Zulu's post, the Bible is full of versus emphasizing that the poor must be helped. I find it quite ironic that some folks don't want to help the needy because it's money out of their pocket. Obviously "in God We Trust" (which also the motto of the US), means very little to these people, as does God's Word (the Bible).
And many of these same people vigorously defend the wealthy and actually portray the wealthy as victims. Yet the Bible says,,,Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."[/I Luke Matthew 19:24.

New Testament passages

Interestingly, all of the US currency and coins have "In God We Trust" on them. As noted by Echo Zulu's post, the Bible is full of versus emphasizing that the poor must be helped. I find it quite ironic that some folks don't want to help the needy because it's money out of their pocket. Obviously "in God We Trust" (which also the motto of the US), means very little to these people, as does God's Word (the Bible).
And many of these same people vigorously defend the wealthy and actually portray the wealthy as victims. Yet the Bible says,,,Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."[/I Luke Matthew 19:24.

it's that whole "compassionate conservative" thing.

what they didn't say is

"in G-d we trust"... all others pay cash

Atheists?

Help the poor? Nonsense. I believe we should continue to outsource good jobs and grind the middle class into poverty then dismantle all of the safety nets and rob all of the retirement accounts. That is the only way to get people mad and desperate enough to take action. A thousand "Oslos" might be what we need. I do so hope someone starts by murdering everyone on "K" street. ...Then taking out Murdoch and the Fox TV stations and studios.

Rush Limbaugh makes a nice big fat target..doncha think?

If this traitorous war on middle class America and the young and weak and poor and aged keeps up I can see the possibility of a very bloody civil war on republicans also.

What a hoot!

Ya...screw helping the poor... Make em suffer as much as it takes for them to turn off their televisions and turn on your stupid asses.

New Testament passages

that was written when..?? when there were ten people sucking the tit? right?

Ah, that is a beautiful question Ms. Willow!

I'm not sure of the exact dates when the New Testament was written, but there are people in this world that still follow those writings!
And well they should. Please show me where the Bible says Cesar should support the poor. If you want to help the poor, by all means help them. I do it all the time. I just have a strong objection to having the government take the fruits of my labor and give it to some fat ass sitting on the porch drinking a 40 while I sweat my ass off to pay my bills.
Welfare is not charity. It's larceny.

Last edited:

New Testament passages

of course the bible passages you write of mean nothing if you dont believe in the bible ..

if you believe it ,follow it ,and apply it to your daily lives fine thats your choice but leave us who think its a load of folk storys , fiction and superstition alone .

I don't want my tax dollars supporting cops, or wars. But I pay and those things continue.

So you are against self defense, but you are for politicians wasting your money in an effort to keep the poor dependent on them so they can count on their votes for reelection?

Is it possible the reason liberals are for helping the poor is because they care?

I don't want my tax dollars supporting cops, or wars. But I pay and those things continue.

So you are against self defense, but you are for politicians wasting your money in an effort to keep the poor dependent on them so they can count on their votes for reelection?

Lol yeah, the US only goes to war for defense.

You're smarter than that Avatar.

No Drock, no, she uh, no... She's really not.

We saw what Christian charity was like in the late 19th and early 20th century.

The American people were not impressed.

The poor will be taken care of by the state one way or the other. The only choice we have is how much we want to be involved. We can either set up government run charity or we can leave the poor to their own devices. If left up to their own devices they will prey on those of us who have food shelter and clothing, by taking what isn't theirs in the first place. We then either kill them in the act of comitting the crime or we put them in jail. If they go to jail they get three hots and a cot. So the choice is Government charity or jail either way we support the poor. how do we want to deal with them?

The bible advocates that everyone be poor.

It is easier for a rich man to get through the eye of a needle than it is for him to get into heaven. or something like that.

Jesus was always telling people to give away everything they owned and follow him yet only twelve did.

The eight ways to enslave a people:

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

All rewards payable upon death. By teaching and getting people to believe and follow these suggestions you get them to be a population of sheep that you can persecute and enslave. The poor love the beatitudes, unless they have a spine. The rich not so much, unless they need to exploit a class of people.

Forum List

Back