Who says We have to help the poor?

No one should be forced, by Govt., to take care of anyone. Charity isn't in the Constitution.

The more these folks get, the more they want. They will never take care of themselves. They will never stand on their own two feet as long as the Govt is putting other peoples hard earned tax dollars in their hands. Why should they??

Why should I be forced to take care of anyone??

Atheists?

Just read "Dead Aid," by Dr Dambisa Moyo, whose premise is that that is exactly what keeps Africa poor.

From her book:

1. "Deep in every liberal sensibility is a profound sense that in a world of moral uncertainty one idea is sacred, on belief cannot be compromised: the rich should help the poor, and the form of that help should be aid.

2. The notion that aid can alleviate systemic poverty, and has done so, is a myth. Millions in Africa are poorer today because of aid: misery and poverty have not ended but have increased. Aid has been and continues to be, an unmitigated political, economic, and humanitarian disaster for most parts of the developing world."

Last edited:
Well, for starters, these guys:

New Testament passages

"Jesus answered, If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Matthew 19:21
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in." Matthew 25:35
"They devour widows' houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. Such men will be punished most severely." Mark 12:40
"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because He has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed." Luke 4:18
"So he replied to the messengers, Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.'" Luke 7:22 [ E-book: The Kingdom strikes back ]
"Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys." Luke 12:33
"But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind." Luke 14:13
"When Jesus heard this, he said to him, You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Luke 18:22

Bible: Caring for and serving the poor

that was written when..?? when there were ten people sucking the tit? right?

So, are you saying is that the Bible is no longer relevant to modern times?

New Testament passages

"Jesus answered, If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Matthew 19:21
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in." Matthew 25:35
"They devour widows' houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. Such men will be punished most severely." Mark 12:40
"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because He has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed." Luke 4:18
"So he replied to the messengers, Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.'" Luke 7:22 [ E-book: The Kingdom strikes back ]
"Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys." Luke 12:33
"But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind." Luke 14:13
"When Jesus heard this, he said to him, You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Luke 18:22

So, are you saying is that the Bible is no longer relevant to modern times?

Nah. She finds it highly appropriate for today's situations. It's just the right thickness to prop up the broken leg on her bed. :eusa_eh:

From what I've learned it's supposed to come from our HEART to want to help and not for vain glory or for recognition from other people. "Our left hand not knowing what our right hand is doing"

Matthew 6:2-4
2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

"We usually hear about charity in the media when there is a terrible disaster. For example, after Hurricane Katrina, we heard about the incredible outpouring of private generosity that amounted to $6 billion. What gets less attention is that Americans routinely give that much to charity every week. Last year Americans gave $300 billion to charity. To put this into perspective, that is almost twice what we spent on consumer electronics equipment—equipment including cell phones, iPods and DVD players. Americans gave three times as much to charity last year as we spent on gambling and ten times as much as we spent on professional sports. America is by far the most charitable country in the world. There is no other country that comes close."
https://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/archive/issue.asp?year=2010&month=01

And totally unrelated to any government agency.

New Testament passages

Ah, that is a beautiful question Ms. Willow!

I'm not sure of the exact dates when the New Testament was written, but there are people in this world that still follow those writings!

do you understand that there may be too many poor and not enough wage earners to take care of them? Is one supposed to make oneself poor to help the millions of poor? Are we to be forced to do it?

From what I've learned it's supposed to come from our HEART to want to help and not for vain glory or for recognition from other people. "Our left hand not knowing what our right hand is doing"

Matthew 6:2-4
2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

"We usually hear about charity in the media when there is a terrible disaster. For example, after Hurricane Katrina, we heard about the incredible outpouring of private generosity that amounted to $6 billion. What gets less attention is that Americans routinely give that much to charity every week. Last year Americans gave $300 billion to charity. To put this into perspective, that is almost twice what we spent on consumer electronics equipment—equipment including cell phones, iPods and DVD players. Americans gave three times as much to charity last year as we spent on gambling and ten times as much as we spent on professional sports. America is by far the most charitable country in the world. There is no other country that comes close."
https://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/archive/issue.asp?year=2010&month=01

And totally unrelated to any government agency.

Amazing that, shows some hearts, Praise God.
Thank you for the information : ) I'll have to spread more rep around 1st, lol.

New Testament passages

That is a substantial part of why I help the poor.

Now, can you provide a quote that says I should delegate my Christian responsibility to others... say, the government?

New Testament passages

i laugh at your first sentence

do i see the catholic church selling of all of its wealth ( art stolen from the jews during WW11)gold etc
or any of the super rich born again christian preachers giving up their mansions ,cars and jewels just 2 examples

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN
christians are very good at telling others what they should do while excluding themselves from the sacrifice

No one should be forced, by Govt., to take care of anyone. Charity isn't in the Constitution.

The more these folks get, the more they want. They will never take care of themselves. They will never stand on their own two feet as long as the Govt is putting other peoples hard earned tax dollars in their hands. Why should they??

Why should I be forced to take care of anyone??

You should not be.

Notice that one liberal espouse that we should follow God's teaching when dealing with the poor and the other lieberal say NO this is a secular government. So No, you should not be FORCED to do it.

Actually I believe it was god/jesus who said we have to help the poor. It is one of the requirements to salvation as I recall.

New Testament passages

i laugh at your first sentence

do i see the catholic church selling of all of its wealth ( art stolen from the jews during WW11)gold etc
or any of the super rich born again christian preachers giving up their mansions ,cars and jewels just 2 examples

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN
christians are very good at telling others what they should do while excluding themselves from the sacrifice[/QUOTE]

That should read "liberals are very good at telling others what they should do while excluding themselves from the sacrifice" aka,, we'll tell you how you must give us money so we can spend it on perpetual benevolence. :lol:

Actually I believe it was god/jesus who said we have to help the poor. It is one of the requirements to salvation as I recall.

we don't have to listen to him. This is a "secular society.":

Is it? last time I heard it was majority christian.
the laws surely seem christian based overall.
And I did not capitolize christian on purpose for the small heart christians.

Forum List

Back