Who says We have to help the poor?

Well, for starters, these guys:

New Testament passages

"Jesus answered, If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Matthew 19:21
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in." Matthew 25:35
"They devour widows' houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. Such men will be punished most severely." Mark 12:40
"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because He has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed." Luke 4:18
"So he replied to the messengers, Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.'" Luke 7:22 [ E-book: The Kingdom strikes back ]
"Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys." Luke 12:33
"But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind." Luke 14:13
"When Jesus heard this, he said to him, You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Luke 18:22

Bible: Caring for and serving the poor

Who says We have to help the poor?

This how I help the poor. (I'm the one selling the catnip.)

meowy-wowy.jpg

Uhhhh, Jesus of course.

I'm a fan of helping the poor through charity, however I'm not in favor of forcing everyone poor or rich to pay for big government programs.

New Testament passages

"Jesus answered, If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Matthew 19:21
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in." Matthew 25:35
"They devour widows' houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. Such men will be punished most severely." Mark 12:40
"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because He has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed." Luke 4:18
"So he replied to the messengers, Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.'" Luke 7:22 [ E-book: The Kingdom strikes back ]
"Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys." Luke 12:33
"But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind." Luke 14:13
"When Jesus heard this, he said to him, You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Luke 18:22

that was written when..?? when there were ten people sucking the tit? right?

New Testament passages

that was written when..?? when there were ten people sucking the tit? right?

Ah, that is a beautiful question Ms. Willow!

I'm not sure of the exact dates when the New Testament was written, but there are people in this world that still follow those writings!

As individuals we are expected to help those in need.

I don't think it counts if the $$ is taken from you forcibly and you have no say in how it's spent. I think the whole idea is to make the choice yourself.

I don't want my tax dollars supporting cops, or wars. But I pay and those things continue.

So you are against self defense, but you are for politicians wasting your money in an effort to keep the poor dependent on them so they can count on their votes for reelection?

I don't think it counts if the $$ is taken from you forcibly and you have no say in how it's spent. I think the whole idea is to make the choice yourself.

Exactly, it's not charity unless it's given willingly.

I don't want my tax dollars supporting cops, or wars. But I pay and those things continue.

So you are against self defense, but you are for politicians wasting your money in an effort to keep the poor dependent on them so they can count on their votes for reelection?

Lol yeah, the US only goes to war for defense.

You're smarter than that Avatar.

I doubt a large percentage vote,
1. many people on welfare are children.
2. Very few of the mass populace votes.
your theory about buying votes could be true. Why Bush increased welfare. Is that what he was doing also. Welfare has been reduced under Obama so I guess he wants fewer votes.

Last edited:

Chosing a charity to donate too is more expensive than doing it yourself.

Never made the claim. But the main purpose of both the military and the police is to defend and protect our lives and liberty. It makes no sense to be opposed to those and support government waste

From what I've learned it's supposed to come from our HEART to want to help and not for vain glory or for recognition from other people. "Our left hand not knowing what our right hand is doing"

Matthew 6:2-4
2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

Never made the claim. But the main purpose of both the military and the police is to defend and protect our lives and liberty. It makes no sense to be opposed to those and support government waste

The other poster said paying for war, and you made the connection to self defense.

I believe the main purpose of the military and police WAS to defend and protect liberties, not anymore. The main thing our military is used for is to warmonger in non-defense wars and our police are mainly used to write traffic tickets and arrest people for drug offenses, neither of which defends liberty in my opinion.

Fortunately as a secular Republic we don’t have to worry about that.

It seems rather foolish to think that the type of government you have means you can ignore God.

Besides, our Founders set up this government so we could have the freedom and privilege to serve God of our own free will. And we do. We have the freedom to serve God and be blessed, or to ignore Him at our peril.

Forum List

Back