Who Said This and When?

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith, becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...

There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag.... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

________________________________________?

Teddy also said:

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Which is basically the only thing that goes on here.

Pale Rider said:
Theodore Roosevelt, 1907

Pretty insightful for 1907.

Yep. It was almost like he was a visionary, looking ahead to a time when a definition of "American" would be needed. Very apropos for today. Thanks for bringing the quote to the board.

" We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

English should be made the offical language of the U.S. .

MtnBiker said:
English should be made the offical language of the U.S. .

When Hispanics become the majority, which is inevitable considering breeding patterns, should English step aside in favor of Spanish? After all this is a democracy.

Another question. When Hispanics are the majority, should English still be an official (albeit minority) language, or should the majority always define the only official language?

Something to think about and not just hypothetical. These are decisions that will have to be made in the next few decades.

Nuc said:
When Hispanics become the majority, which is inevitable considering breeding patterns, should English step aside in favor of Spanish? After all this is a democracy.

Another question. When Hispanics are the majority, should English still be an official (albeit minority) language, or should the majority always define the only official language?

Something to think about and not just hypothetical. These are decisions that will have to be made in the next few decades.

When America is no longer, and it's renamed Mexico, then english can be the second lagauge.

Pale Rider said:
When America is no longer, and it's renamed Mexico, then english can be the second lagauge.

Do you believe in Democracy? When Hispanics are the majority they will be able to call the shots according to our Constitution. They won't have to rename it Mexico or be annexed by Mexico. I posed a few serious questions and you responded with petulance. Think about it seriously and get back to the board with an adult response. Or shut up.

Nuc said:

Hopefully, the Hispanics will become AMERICANS. Americans should define the official language. If they are not willing to become Americans, send tham back to Hispania!

CSM said:
Hopefully, the Hispanics will become AMERICANS. Americans should define the official language. If they are not willing to become Americans, send tham back to Hispania!

First people spoke various Native American languages here, then Spanish, then French, then English, now it's swinging back to Spanish.

Don't get me wrong, I wish English was the official language of the entire planet. But in a democracy, doesn't the majority rule whether we like the way they rule or not?

Nuc said:
But in a democracy, doesn't the majority rule whether we like the way they rule or not?
Not in current times....I bet there are at least two issues that you can think of where special interests have pushed thru 'rules' despite the desire of the majority (Hint: Gay marriage?)

CSM said:
Not in current times....I bet there are at least two issues that you can think of where special interests have pushed thru 'rules' despite the desire of the majority (Hint: Gay marriage?)

Don't you think gays have as much right to be miserable as the rest of us? :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay:

Seriously, minority rights are protected by the constitution. I wonder if the Hispanics, when they become the majority, will do away with English entirely or keep it. My guess is they'll keep it because as time marches on more and more of them are bilingual and proud of speaking English.

mom4 said:
It's the immigrant's job to assimilate to the culture.

I'm not talking about immigration. Even if we don't let another Spanish speaking person into this country, Hispanics will still be the majority before long because the ones already here breed like rabbits. Then "the culture" will be predominately Hispanic. What language do we use then?

Nuc said:
I'm not talking about immigration. Even if we don't let another Spanish speaking person into this country, Hispanics will still be the majority before long because the ones already here breed like rabbits. Then "the culture" will be predominately Hispanic. What language do we use then?
They should have been learning the language as they came. Then they can pass it down to their children. They should already have some command of English. The point is, if you are a foreigner choosing to come to another country, it is your job to assimilate. Even if your subgroup becomes a majority, the assimilation should already be in place. No need to switch the official language.

Although, I am not against deomcracy. It just seems as if changing the language should be unnecessary.

mom4 said:
They should have been learning the language as they came. Then they can pass it down to their children. They should already have some command of English. The point is, if you are a foreigner choosing to come to another country, it is your job to assimilate. Even if your subgroup becomes a majority, the assimilation should already be in place. No need to switch the official language.

Although, I am not against deomcracy. It just seems as if changing the language should be unnecessary.

That's reasonable and I agree with what you said. I'm just wondering what is actually going to happen.

Of course second and third generation Hispanics do speak English.

Forum List

Back